E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Custom exhaust open thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the near future I plan on changing out the stock exhaust on my automatic 530i. I was looking into the rpi mufflers but lost interest after reading a few forums about how the owners had to remove them a short while after installation because they were too loud. I'd love to get an exhaust with a nice deep sound but not to loud in the cabin while driving. So I figured I'd start this thread not just for me, but anyone interested in doing some exhaust mods on there e60. It would be greatly appreciated if you could post your car info and exhaust info, tell your likes and dislikes or pros and cons of the system you decided to install. Finally if you can, include a video or sound clip of how it sounds on start up, idle, and driving. thank you in advance to whom ever contributes this will be a big help in me making my decision.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

I'm very interested in his as well. I am in the same boat as you. Itching for an exhaust but will not settle for any droning. Some people will say, then just leave it stock. I want a louder than stock exhaust but not quite as loud as rpi, b&b, eisenmann etc.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

If both you dont plan to do quads, your best bet is to throw in a resonators with the RPI and it should solve all your problems - You would keep all the gains and everthing but have no boom when you drive
Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I'm currently driving an RPI on my 550i and drove a B&B on my 545i (I currently have this one for sale), and in neither case were they too loud. In each case I installed devices in the mufflers to avoid the drone, and they work beautifully! So I think one needs to qualify what setup is "too loud", because with the proper silencer or resonator cone, they are both great mufflers to drive daily, especially if you want to gain the throaty exhaust note and gain a few horsepower at the same time!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Members

How bout the MagnaFlow exhaust, is that loud or not?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Contributors

RPI for a V8 is a different experience when compared to the RPI for a 6 cylinder.

The 8 cylinder handles it well unlike the 6.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
RPI for a V8 is a different experience when compared to the RPI for a 6 cylinder.

The 8 cylinder handles it well unlike the 6.
Actually, when Eloy finished installing mine, he said that he thinks the I6 version of RPI exhaust sounds better than v8.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 AM
New Members

Newbie. I like the look of the dual exhaust. If I go dual would I need a new bumper? I don't have the car yet so I haven't had a good look at the parts. Whats required to convert the 535xi to dual exhaust? If I need a new bumper which do you recommend. I'm also interested in the throaty sound of an exhaust but not the annoying sound of a street racer. On my Acura I have a dual stainless exhaust from japan that is perfect, there has to be something for the 5. Interested to see what you guys recommend.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Derekjn
Newbie. I like the look of the dual exhaust. If I go dual would I need a new bumper? I don't have the car yet so I haven't had a good look at the parts. Whats required to convert the 535xi to dual exhaust? If I need a new bumper which do you recommend. I'm also interested in the throaty sound of an exhaust but not the annoying sound of a street racer. On my Acura I have a dual stainless exhaust from japan that is perfect, there has to be something for the 5. Interested to see what you guys recommend.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Actually, when Eloy finished installing mine, he said that he thinks the I6 version of RPI exhaust sounds better than v8.
Sounds good only from the outside my friend, what are your thoughts about the cabin drone ?

To each his own but my current setup is 10% louder than the RPI with 100% no DRONE

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust open thread