E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by sparky' post='697007' date='Oct 19 2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks 'santiago fonseca . You mean Nick with the nickname nicke60gr with a black 520i e60 who lives in Chalandri? If you mean him, he is a superb guy, many questions about the e60 modifications were solved by him. I am looking forward for some pics with the exhaust. Way to go........
I mean HIM (on my right!). Yes, Nick Katsikas. I was fat then... On my left is my Daughter Alison, then Debbie and Steve Gill and Anthony Malefakis on the far right. Small world huh? We all went on a tour of Dingolfing, the FIZ, Munich and then went to Garmisch - about 40 people from as far as Athens, Dallas, TX, Luxembourg, Italy, Germany, Finland, Hungary, Brazil, etc. BMW treated us very well all over. It was a great trip - there's a long thread about it on this forum.

The next picture is at Dingolfing after our VIP tour. Those were the days!

I miss Europe!

Santiago.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Exhaust-at_the_lake.jpg   Custom Exhaust-group___dingolfing.jpg  
Old 10-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='697036' date='Oct 19 2008, 09:37 PM
Sparky - Very nice and interesting setup you got there. Do you have any idea if you lost or gain HP? This is the first time i've seen exhausts in the middle of the car and i'm not sure how that will affect your car's performance.

Santiago - keep us posted on what you decide on and update with pics.
Hi there jcool10181. To loose Hp no way, (i haven't dyno thought ) because i have installed the two middle resonator to keep back pressure like the normal level. The two rear mufflers are like the racing dynamics without the x-pipe (noisy) It's an excellent setup if you don't want noise (like me) and a trully quad setup
Old 10-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' post='697090' date='Oct 19 2008, 11:13 PM
I mean HIM (on my right!). Yes, Nick Katsikas. I was fat then... On my left is my Daughter Alison, then Debbie and Steve Gill and Anthony Malefakis on the far right. Small world huh? We all went on a tour of Dingolfing, the FIZ, Munich and then went to Garmisch - about 40 people from as far as Athens, Dallas, TX, Luxembourg, Italy, Germany, Finland, Hungary, Brazil, etc. BMW treated us very well all over. It was a great trip - there's a long thread about it on this forum.

The next picture is at Dingolfing after our VIP tour. Those were the days!

I miss Europe!

Santiago.
Small world indeed. Yes i have read about the tour. Unfortunately my revenues wasn't enough to keep up to the trip. I am just a cop
Greetings to your lovely daughter.....ahhhh i think i'm in love hahahahahaaha just teasing you (Greek humor )
Waiting for pics...........
Old 11-04-2008, 03:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by sparky' post='697364' date='Oct 20 2008, 03:18 AM
Hi there jcool10181. To loose Hp no way, (i haven't dyno thought ) because i have installed the two middle resonator to keep back pressure like the normal level. The two rear mufflers are like the racing dynamics without the x-pipe (noisy) It's an excellent setup if you don't want noise (like me) and a trully quad setup
OK fellows, here's the deal.

My quad is complete. Two things are left to do.

1. Do an after-installation Dyno (I had a Chassis Dyno done before I had the "surgery"), and compare the HP. I showed 279.45 HP at the rear wheels. Somehow we could not hook up to the coil so we didn't get RPM but he went up to 135 MPH in 4th gear to get the HP shown. Does anyone know where to hook up to get the RPM on this car?? He found the wire loom but was not going to cut it to find the wire...

2. Finish the plastic apron properly. We just cut it to fit the new pipes - but you can't really tell...

It sounds amazing! It reminds me of Steve McQueen's Mustang in Bullitt. When I came back home I had it up to 85MPH on I75 and it was just a low and deep growl inside the car. BTW, I did a lot of research before I had anything cut - I spoke with Dinan, I spoke with the BMW dealership here in Tampa, I spoke with the BMW Motorsports people who showed me one they had just done - guys, it doesn't even come close in sound or even looks - though that one was a 545i.

The tips are beautiful, solid stainless Steel (Magnaflow) and they have an inner sleeve so the outside stays cool and will not discolor.

I do not have much time now since I'm driving to Miami early tomorrow, but I will post pictures, the Dyno sheets (before and after) my working drawings and others but now I will post a couple of pictures and a sound file - I hope it uploads 'cause it is 6MB-plus.

I will also monitor my gas mileage during my trip. I've been getting a consistent 23.5 on the highway at 80 MPH.

The weight of the OEM exhaust is about three times what I have in there now. Jim did a beautiful job. I've documented all with pictures, sound files, diagrams, etc. All the way from the Dyno to the cutting and installing.

And "no oxygen sensors were harmed in the installation of this exhaust!"

Sound_File.MOV

Custom Exhaust-550i_quad.jpg

Custom Exhaust-magnaflow.jpg

Regards,

Santiago.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look forward seeing the whole setup and part numbers. I really like your setup and I'll go with that!

Thank you very much for the write up. Looks great though.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Santiago, I live in Ft Lauderdale and have an '04 545i. Would this same set up work on my car? Please post reply or PM me on the price. That sound is sick. Would love to see video/sound of acceleration, takeoff, etc.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Did you use xpipe, single muffler, resonator delete? Maybe I missed it..
Old 11-04-2008, 05:36 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='712371' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:30 AM
Santiago, I live in Ft Lauderdale and have an '04 545i. Would this same set up work on my car? Please post reply or PM me on the price. That sound is sick. Would love to see video/sound of acceleration, takeoff, etc.
Coincidentally I will be in Miami Wednesday and Thursday (at the Southern Command - Doral area). I am going to be with a big group at a meeting, but I don't know what we'll do in the off time. Maybe you can see and hear it in person? I'll PM you my cell#

Santiago.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by tbal' post='712372' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:30 AM
Did you use xpipe, single muffler, resonator delete? Maybe I missed it..
This is what I took out:

Custom Exhaust-from_this.jpg

And this is what it looks like from underneath (two original OEM resonators, two mufflers and pipe to the tips - nothing else:

Custom Exhaust-looking_towards_front_of_car.jpg

And look at all the room (weight gone) after removing the OEM mufflers:

Custom Exhaust-all_that_room_.jpg

Santiago.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Members

Way to go Santiago!!!!! Real nice piece of work you've done there. Take some photos of the rear bumper when it's completely done. Do you remember the diameter of the exhaust tips?

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust