E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cross Drilled Rotors...recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530
Default Cross Drilled Rotors...recommendations?

Sup everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade to some cross drilled rotors and wanted to get peeps recommendations/opinions on what to get. I've looked up Brembo (super expensive) to Stoptech and really don't know what to get or what's going to get me the most bang for my buck.

I've only got a 530 so I don't think I need anything fancy like Brembo, but also want to get something that has quality and is moderately priced. Not sure what vendors on here sell either so point me in their direction if you know of anyone.

Any recommendations or input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

If you're looking for factory replacement, a lot of forum members seemed to like the R1 Concepts. They come in multiple configurations, factory blanks, Cross Drilled, Slotted and Cross Drilled/Slotted. There is an ELine and a Premium Line. Two highly reputable Forum vendors that can help are Trinity Autosport and Acute Performance. I'm sure they will take good care of you. They are highly recommended!

On a side note, do yourself a favor and do a search. In some recent postings, members have mentioned a loss in initial bite/stopping power when going to a Cross Drilled and/or Slotted setup. If you're going for looks, you should be happy.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by Hyper_545i; 12-27-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530

Thanks Mike!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I got R1 Concepts with Hawk HPS pads from Michael (member name: actueperformance). Still loving them over a year later.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by WHITEseries.net
Sup everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade to some cross drilled rotors and wanted to get peeps recommendations/opinions on what to get. I've looked up Brembo (super expensive) to Stoptech and really don't know what to get or what's going to get me the most bang for my buck.

I've only got a 530 so I don't think I need anything fancy like Brembo, but also want to get something that has quality and is moderately priced. Not sure what vendors on here sell either so point me in their direction if you know of anyone.

Any recommendations or input would be greatly appreciated!

We can get you R1concepts Premium cross drilled rotors

Please email me at joe@trinityautosport.com and I'll email you back pricing
Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Members

Make sure you're doing the upgrade for looks, and not performance, as you will see some degradation in breaking performance going cross drilled/slotted. The drilling is for heat dissipation, which you will have no problem with on your stock configuration. The better upgrade is going to be going for M calipers or Stoptech, Brembo, or the like...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535i XDrive M Sport Package
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by darkrider
Make sure you're doing the upgrade for looks, and not performance, as you will see some degradation in breaking performance going cross drilled/slotted. The drilling is for heat dissipation, which you will have no problem with on your stock configuration. The better upgrade is going to be going for M calipers or Stoptech, Brembo, or the like...
Totally agree with darkrider that drilling and slotting are for looks, and actually reduce performance. Some older racing pad compounds produced gases under high heat: drilling and slotting were methods of venting the gases. Those compounds have long been superceded.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Members

Stop tech cryo are awesome. Check out Tirerack they have great prices on these. I went with these and Ackebono euro pads been a great combination on my 545i
Old 12-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Don't expect braking performance to be improved. I know, I have the R1 Concept CD/S rotors paired with Hawk Pads. Don't get me wrong, they look awesome with very minimal dust, however stopping power decreases (require more brake pedal pressure to slow car down) and a noticable low "humming" noise when coming to a stop. This noise I believe is due to the harder compound of the Hawk Pads (reason why there is less dust).