E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cross Drilled Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock '08 550i with the M5 aerodynamic OEM package

OK guys - I've read about every thread there is about getting cross drilled rotors on my new '08 550. One guy says they're a direct fit off of an M5 while others say (including my BMW parts guy) that it's a mess and a whole lot of parts need to be exchanged.

Now all I want to figure out is a definitive answer on the simplest way to get cross-drilled rotors on this car without spending an arm & a leg.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions or even answers!
Old 06-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Sorry for going astray- Why do you think you need M5 brake rotors? They will add to your unsprung weight of each wheel. For a given sized rotor, every hole decreases frictional (stopping) surface area which means less braking power. Drilled or slotted rotors basically cut the brake pads slightly faster so you have a softer surface.
Drilled rotors do look Bling, but are you having a problem?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Pennetta is right

"...Crossdrilling your rotors might look neat, but what is it really doing for you? Well, unless your car is using brake pads from the 40?s and 50?s, not a whole lot. Rotors were first ?drilled? because early brake pad materials gave off gasses when heated to racing temperatures ? a process known as ?gassing out?. These gasses then formed a thin layer between the brake pad face and the rotor, acting as a lubricant and effectively lowering the coefficient of friction. The holes were implemented to give the gasses ?somewhere to go?. It was an effective solution, but today?s friction materials do not exhibit the same gassing out phenomenon as the early pads.

For this reason, the holes have carried over more as a design feature than a performance feature. Contrary to popular belief they don?t lower temperatures (in fact, by removing weight from the rotor, the temperatures can actually increase a little), they create stress risers allowing the rotor to crack sooner, and make a mess of brake pads ? sort of like a cheese grater rubbing against them at every stop. (Want more evidence? Look at NASCAR or F1. You would think that if drilling holes in the rotor was the hot ticket, these teams would be doing it.)"

I still like mine though
Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='605468' date='Jun 18 2008, 09:33 PM
Pennetta is right

"...Crossdrilling your rotors might look neat, but what is it really doing for you? Well, unless your car is using brake pads from the 40?s and 50?s, not a whole lot. Rotors were first ?drilled? because early brake pad materials gave off gasses when heated to racing temperatures ? a process known as ?gassing out?. These gasses then formed a thin layer between the brake pad face and the rotor, acting as a lubricant and effectively lowering the coefficient of friction. The holes were implemented to give the gasses ?somewhere to go?. It was an effective solution, but today?s friction materials do not exhibit the same gassing out phenomenon as the early pads.

For this reason, the holes have carried over more as a design feature than a performance feature. Contrary to popular belief they don?t lower temperatures (in fact, by removing weight from the rotor, the temperatures can actually increase a little), they create stress risers allowing the rotor to crack sooner, and make a mess of brake pads ? sort of like a cheese grater rubbing against them at every stop. (Want more evidence? Look at NASCAR or F1. You would think that if drilling holes in the rotor was the hot ticket, these teams would be doing it.)"

I still like mine though

Good post. I was taken back in laughter at the end of it. All those words taking us in one direction and then, BAM. U turn. I happen to like them too. I've found them for our cars as a direct OEM replacement. I think they were about $225 a pair. Still havent pulled the trigger. If you're interested in what I found Lizard, let me know. I have the websites in my office.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Members

My Ride: Stock '08 550i with the M5 aerodynamic OEM package

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='605503' date='Jun 18 2008, 09:42 PM
I happen to like them too. I've found them for our cars as a direct OEM replacement. I think they were about $225 a pair. Still havent pulled the trigger. If you're interested in what I found Lizard, let me know. I have the websites in my office.
I've just gotten used to the look of cross drilled rotors on my cars and with the new 167's, the undrilled rotors seemed rather old fashioned. So I guess you can say I'm doing it basically for the look. I would be ever greatful to you if you sent me those websites where they these rotors as a direct OEM replacement.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='605503' date='Jun 18 2008, 09:42 PM
Good post. I was taken back in laughter at the end of it. All those words taking us in one direction and then, BAM. U turn. I happen to like them too. I've found them for our cars as a direct OEM replacement. I think they were about $225 a pair. Still havent pulled the trigger. If you're interested in what I found Lizard, let me know. I have the websites in my office.
Yes....Please share those websights.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Do you want your car a) looks better with drilled rotors or do you need to b) improve your braking power ?

a) ebay.com and you will find rotors for the 550i size

b) M5 brakes

a) and b) M5 brakes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

IVE NOTICED THAT The cross drilled or grooved rotors actaully omproved my braking especially on highways when hitting down hard

the downside is, it makes the wheels so dirty...so fast...i have to clean my wheels every 5-6 days compared two weeks when i had stock padsand stock rotors........
Old 06-19-2008, 01:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='605468' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:33 AM
Pennetta is right

I still like mine though
terrific post, I didn't know that... I'm still the "form before function" sucker with my crossdrills shame..

Cross Drilled Rotors-post_18241_1203770030.png
Old 06-19-2008, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='605468' date='Jun 18 2008, 06:33 PM
Pennetta is right

I still like mine though
As for others this is new and most interesting information to me... I noticed you enclosed it in quotation marks, is this a citation and if so, from where? I'd appreciate the reference to read more...
Thanks,

Cal

Quick Reply: Cross Drilled Rotors