E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Correct Fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013 | 03:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport
Default Correct Fitment?

I recently had to have my OEM Msport front bumper cover replaced. Long story short, a friend pulled to far forward when parking and when I reversed out, it tore the cover out of its brackets. Anyway Ive had this new cover for about 1 week and it just seems to me to be off a little. Seems like the bumper cover could be installed a bit higher, making the seems between cover and fender smaller and more....seamless. Also see gaps under headlights. I have attached a few pics. Need to know thoughts before I take it back to the shop and they tell me Im crazy just to get me out of their hair....Or find out here that I am crazy.. Thanks ALL

Correct Fitment?-photo-jun-04-6-46-44-pm.jpg

Correct Fitment?-photo-jun-04-6-46-37-pm.jpg

Correct Fitment?-photo-jun-04-6-47-09-pm.jpg

Correct Fitment?-photo-jun-04-6-46-25-pm.jpg
Old 06-04-2013 | 04:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 550i 6sp M-Tech. 18mm spacers rear, 8mm front. Dinan intake and Stage 2 tune. Tinted tails, M5 OEM lip spoiler. 08 Z4 3.0si Black on Black with Beige top. Removable hardtop. (Hers) 06 Volvo S60R Heavily Modded!! Gone and missed.

If the side attachment brackets are not seated or are not there at all you could have those gaps.
Old 06-04-2013 | 05:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

No it isn't correct. In the first pic you see the small vertical rib, that is what sets the gap and its not even touching. Take it back for a readjustment.
Old 06-04-2013 | 06:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Was it replaced with an OEM bumper? Also your fender edges might have bent when the bumper ripped off causing the loose gaps near the fender.
Old 06-05-2013 | 03:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
No it isn't correct. In the first pic you see the small vertical rib, that is what sets the gap and its not even touching. Take it back for a readjustment.
That was my thought too. Thanks for the confirmation. Ive seen folks on here talking about having to re-shape a foam piece that allows it to fit right. Maybe thats it.
Old 06-05-2013 | 03:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Was it replaced with an OEM bumper? Also your fender edges might have bent when the bumper ripped off causing the loose gaps near the fender.
They ordered it from BMW and told me it was OEM. Didnt think about the fender edges being bent. That might also be the case. It was ripped off. Thanks
Old 06-05-2013 | 05:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by plowery21
That was my thought too. Thanks for the confirmation. Ive seen folks on here talking about having to re-shape a foam piece that allows it to fit right. Maybe thats it.
Ok, now I'm a little confused. I thought you already had the MTech OEM bumper on your car, and you replaced it with the same bumper? If so, there is no modification needed. If you had the standard bumper and went to the MTech OEM, then there is a little work to be done. The foam frontal crash pad should be replaced or at least trimmed to fit. Otherwise, it will pull your bumper down and create a lot of stress. You can overcome this, but if you simply trim or replace it, it's so much easier. And as Mike said, you could have a bend in your fender. I would think this would be visible though. Anyway, have them look at that too.
Old 06-05-2013 | 01:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Ok, now I'm a little confused. I thought you already had the MTech OEM bumper on your car, and you replaced it with the same bumper? .
You are correct, BMW OEM M5 bumper original and replaced with OEM. Not sure why they fit it so low. Just mentioned the foam as a possibility as I have seen it mentioned, but as you point out that only applies to standard to Mtec conversion.

I guess they need to check the bracket locations and adjust.
Thanks for the input.
Old 06-10-2013 | 08:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Took it by the shop this morning. Was told that the bumper cover slides into guides that are on the body and that very minimal adjustment is possible....but they will take it off and look at it again to make sure. Drop it off tomorrow morning. We will see.

I also noticed and pointed out that the bottom lip on the left side also hangs lower than the right side. This is the side that was damaged. IMO it needs to be removed and have every part re-checked, including the guides. Thanks to all for the confirmation that it was off.
Old 06-10-2013 | 09:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi black

honestly it isn't that bad, but it could be fitted a little better between the fenders

Quick Reply: Correct Fitment?