E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i Shadow line mod Rpi scoop BMC air filtter Ksport coilover Mtech V2 Angel eyes HID low beams HID Fogs

Hello guys,
I'm new to the site great site btw.
I have a '04 530i
Quick question on replacing the control arms.
Simply put my control arm bushings are toast. My mechanic said that he can replace both control arms including labor for 400.00 . I've come across a site that has just the bushings for 81.54 each. Awesome!!
Could my mechanic simply swap out the bushings without replacing the entire control arm?? Or does the entire lower control arm needs to be replaced?
Appreciate the input. . .
Old 11-21-2011, 04:56 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

You can but it'll be more labor intensive since he'll have to take out the control arm, press out the old bushings and press in the new ones instead of just swapping out the control arms. Most people including myself just do the whole control arm.
Keep in mind the ball joint end is probably worn and will need replacing soon anyway and/or it'll be damaged when pulling out the control arm.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 530i Shadow line mod Rpi scoop BMC air filtter Ksport coilover Mtech V2 Angel eyes HID low beams HID Fogs

Yea ok that makes sense..
Thanks a lot for the feedback.
Much appreciated.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

at about how many mile did you guys change the control arms? And was there anything noticeable as far as the ride quality or noises that i should be looking out for? I have 53K on my 2007 530i and just wanted to start thinking about preventive maintenance.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:55 AM
jgt
Contributors

I did all 4 control arms, sway bar end links and tie rods @ 79k with a front end replacement kit from FCP Euro. FYI its a REALLY good deal and they just happened to email me a coupon code for 15% off this morning. Here is promo code: CYBERWEEK

My passenger side tie rod was seized, so I couldn't get toe centered when I went for an alignment, and the ball joint end of the driver side control arm and sway bar end link had some play in them so I decided to just do it all since I squeezed so many miles out of the original parts and everything was going to be disassembled.

I've seen people replace them at all sorts mileage. It really depends how you drive the car i.e. not nailing every single pothole or flying over bumpy roads or living somewhere with crappy roads e.g. NYC.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Members

Good looks on the link man. I'm checking it out right now.
Yea my car is approaching 72K on it...
Drives really smooth I had no idea that my bushings were that done.
Wasn't until I took the car in last week for an oil change that the the technician immediately noticed it when he put the car on the lift.
He asked me if I didn't feel any vibration in the steering wheel?
I'm like "No!".. Raised it up on the lift & you can clearly see the bushings torn.
That's what I get for driving a '03 grand cherokee for 3 years ? --
Ahhhhh German engineering ? -- never going back..
Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Members

Lol NYC roads are garbage bro -- for real...
Funny thing though would like to install a lowering kit. I'm reading a lot of good things about the KS sport Coilovers but i'm having reservations about spending that much $$.
Anybody has Eibachs or H&R springs? What's your experience with'em?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 AM
jgt
Contributors

I had no noticeable ride quality issues or noises when I changed them. I only did it after I went to a BMW CCA tech event and I saw the ball joint play myself.
I figured I might as well replace it all at once since I had a state inspection coming up and I wanted to zero out the toe. If the shop owners are real prudes they will fail you for safety if they see what they deem excessive play in the front end.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - Steptronic - Logic 7 - Sirius Satellite - CD Changer - Cold Weather Pkg.- Fold Down Rear Seats - Comfort Seats Mods: Dinan CAI - RPI dual intake scoops - Euro AHL Bi-Xenons - LED Angels,
Model Year: 2004

If you can get new Control Arms installed for 400 bucks, do it. I just had an Indy Mechanic in O C CA charge me $400 + for just ball joint remove and replace. He has a press to do this and said would cost less to do vs. buying new arms. My car has bout 74K miles, noticed suspension was lil loose around 60K miles. After the new ball joints, wow,, what a difference. Feels like a new car! best 400 bucks ever spent!...... well, besides that one time in Vegas
Old 11-25-2011, 05:28 AM
Members

Ordered the front end replacement kit from FCPEURO that JGT recommended.
Good place btw, got the whole kit for 365.00 shipped with the 15% discount promo they're offering.
Great price, not bad at all..
Wish that I had the time, skill & patience to install it though. Could've use the install $$ to buy my H&R springs...
Thanks again JGT for the link...