E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Continental Sport Contact 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I was going to get Mich PS2's for my 166M rims. However, I am trying to fit a 285/35/19 on the rear and Michelin has not supplied those in the US yet - they say possible 6 weeks. I don't want to wait.

With the rear tire size, I am limited on my options. The one that is available in that size is the Continental Sport Contact 2 (same tires being put on the M5). I have been told that they are not as smooth as the PS2's but a good tire. They are about $300 cheaper for a set than the PS2's and have a higher treadwear (280 vs 220).

Since I don't want to wait, is this a good option?

The other options I have ruled out that are made in that size are:

New Goodyear (too expensive, run flat only on this size)
Perilli P-zero Russo (good handling, but firm)
BF Goodrich gForce kdw2 (does not seem like it is in the same league)
Old 11-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

In the big C&D 11 tire test the ContiSportContact2 came in at #2, ahead of the PS2s. It had more to do with no really big flaws, low price and long tread wear. It was middle of the pack in dry performance and high in the wet categories. Ride and noise were NOT tested. I think it is a good choice. Let us know how they work out for u if u go that route.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='195380' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:14 PM
In the big C&D 11 tire test the ContiSportContact2 came in at #2, ahead of the PS2s. It had more to do with no really big flaws, low price and long tread wear. It was middle of the pack in dry performance and high in the wet categories. Ride and noise were NOT tested. I think it is a good choice. Let us know how they work out for u if u go that route.
]

cobradav,
do you have the link to that tire test??thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I had them on my E39 and I liked them a lot. They are no real sports tires, but really good for everyday driving. They are excellent in the rain.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I have them on my 172's and they seem to have loads of grip, average road noise and a decent ride!
Attached Thumbnails Continental Sport Contact 2-2005_0517image0004__small_.jpg  
Old 11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Thanks for the input - I just ordered them and should know the results in about a week - provided they fit.

I am kind of pushing the limit by trying to fill in the gap on a 19" rim (166) 245/40 & 285/35 trying to keep them fairly balanced but definately pushing the back a little larger. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any clearance issues.

The price was a few hundred less than the PS2's and the treadwear was 280 vs 220. With all of the highway miles I would not mind getting a few more miles in between changes.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='195381
]

cobradav,
[/quote]
Yep. Their web site just caught up to the printed mag.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...rticle_id=10252
Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='195737
Originally Posted by cobradav' post='195380' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:14 PM
]

cobradav,
Yep. Their web site just caught up to the printed mag.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...rticle_id=10252
[/quote]

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

I've had the Contis for a few months. I came from stock RFs

Ride was noticeably better. Noise was unbelievably better - but honestly the RFs were not bad. I had a 325 loaner - 2005 - that was much loader than the RFs.

Decent dry performance. It hasn't been that wet.

I agree with C&D exactly. I am a little surprised that the M5s are getting Contis. The turn in was much better with the RFs and if I had a M5, I would want something with that level of sidewall stiffness. If I was a few years younger (I am 35) and I had a 3 series, I would want something stiffer.

Overall, I think it is a good balanced tire for a 545 sport. I think if you want the best dry grip - it is not it.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:40 AM
RAI
Members

The SC2 they put on the M5 is not the regular SC2 tire- it is a higher performance version.

I have the regular SC2s on my 545i SP, and I've been very pleased with them. The handling is very good, though initial turn in is not as good as with the OEM RF tires (the OEM is fantastic with this,because the sidewall is so firm on the RF tires. That's also why the RF tire rides like round bricks). The ride is vastly better than the RF tires- a very noticeable and welcome improvement.

I had PS2s earlier, and didn't keep them. They handle better when you're pushing things than the SC2s do, but they ride harsher, make more tread noise and I could never get mine balanced. For me, the CS2 is a better choice. You have to be pushing things fairly hard to notice the handling superiority of the PS2, otherwise you won't notice it.

So, if you're really going to be doing lots of hard cornering and don't mind a bit more noise and a bit harsher ride, then go with the PS2. If you want a better ride and less noise and don't mind giving up a bit of handling at the limit, then go with the SC2. The SC2 is the better choice for me, and I've been very happy with them.

Quick Reply: Continental Sport Contact 2