E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Connection for after market Audio

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all experienced E60 owners,

I juz got my 06 525i last week and the original Standard Car Audio is making me sick. (It sound so bad)

I got a unit of the RockFord Fosgate 360.2 + a 6 channels amp.
I thnking of getting a new set of 2ways speakers (run active) + a sub.

Before the installation there are a few questions come in mind, hopefully some kind people in this forum can help me.

1)Are the standard (8 speakers) sound system come with any amps?
2)How do I connect the RF360.2 processors? Will it effect the i-drive?
3)Can the original front door mid speaker location hold a 5" mid bass?
4)Will it void the car warrenty if I change my sound system?

Please Help..... Thank You
Old 06-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 M3 E60 530i

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=11606
Old 06-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Eclipse' post='433085' date='Jun 7 2007, 09:45 AM

I juz got my 06 525i last week and the original Standard Car Audio is making me sick. (It sound so bad)

Before the installation there are a few questions come in mind, hopefully some kind people in this forum can help me.

the 360.2 should not mess with your idrive. depending on the drivers will determine if a 5" will fit in the door location.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Eclipse' post='433085' date='Jun 7 2007, 12:45 PM

wow Ifeel your pain Itoo had a 525i and i agree sounds horrible... I nw have a 530i with premium sound and logic 7 and Ihave to say it's a worls of difference the bass sounds inclredible and the highs are awesome and ofcourse the EQ in the idrive lets you adjust everything where as my 525 was only bass and treble very lame .... i'll never own a BMW withought premuim sound and logic 7..... good luck on your improvement efforts though I know its really needed in that car..
Old 06-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Members

The bad sounding is for sure, but still do not has much confidence on installing after market sound system into the car.....

I wonder how to connect the RF 360.2 into the system? with speakers output or with RCA out put from idrive?

KU, If I have the standard audio (Euro version) without an amp at back and sub under the sit, do I still able to wire up my 360.2 without touching my i-drive infront?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Eclipse' post='433430' date='Jun 8 2007, 09:01 AM
The bad sounding is for sure, but still do not has much confidence on installing after market sound system into the car.....

I wonder how to connect the RF 360.2 into the system? with speakers output or with RCA out put from idrive?

KU, If I have the standard audio (Euro version) without an amp at back and sub under the sit, do I still able to wire up my 360.2 without touching my i-drive infront?

Eclipse,

Our cars are somewhat complicated im finishing some complex wiring on a full system and let me tell you, what a headache. If anyone can help you KU, sure knows his stuff.

RJ
Old 06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by Eclipse' post='433085' date='Jun 7 2007, 12:45 PM

You won't be able to fit anything larger than a 4'' in the stock door location. they also have to be shallow speakers. focal, mb quart and I think rainbow makes shallow 4'' mid.. I went that route with some focal k2p speakers and wasn't sastified with the output.back them I was using the stock unit to power the speakers so if you using an aftermarket amp it would sound a lot better.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

the place i go to by my house is very reliable they do alot of high end work.. including a couple of the miami dolphins players cars... they did my system in my audi with a kicker 700.5 wonderful amp 5 channel worked great.... when i got the 525 i went there and inquired about installing the same in that car my tech guy told me i neede some type of converter to split the sound and distribute it... it was like 299 for the part he gave me the part # and i found it on ebay for 180.00 i'll try to find out exactly what its called... if your going with a 5 channel set up you'll probably be advised to get the same.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='433657' date='Jun 8 2007, 09:00 PM
the place i go to by my house is very reliable they do alot of high end work.. including a couple of the miami dolphins players cars... they did my system in my audi with a kicker 700.5 wonderful amp 5 channel worked great.... when i got the 525 i went there and inquired about installing the same in that car my tech guy told me i neede some type of converter to split the sound and distribute it... it was like 299 for the part he gave me the part # and i found it on ebay for 180.00 i'll try to find out exactly what its called... if your going with a 5 channel set up you'll probably be advised to get the same.
Line Outout Converter?

I have the Audiocontrol lc8. which is a loc. You can also use a jl cleansweep, to flattened the speaker outputs, but the 360.2 will do that and more.
you should also look into the Alpine PXE-H650 thats coming out next week and the JBL MS-8 that coming out in the fall.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Eclipse' post='433430' date='Jun 8 2007, 07:01 AM

Here is the deal since you do not have an amp in the rear of the car you are going to have to pull the head unit and tap into the harness. You have a few options. you can use the high level inputs on the 360.2 or you can use a LOC either way you are going to have to pull the dash. This way you still have idrive functions. I will caution you these cars can be sensitive when it comes to the electrical so don't just go hacking wires. Your biggests problem is you will not have any midbass in your car just a set of 4" drives is not going to get it done.

Quick Reply: Connection for after market Audio