E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Compatibility of Coilovers with Sports Package

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Hi All,

Would any of you know if aftermarket coilovers are direct replacements for the shock/springs set up on a 545 with Sports Package? I had thought they were but I talked to a rep at Dinan yesterday and he thought that cars with Sports Pkg have electronic shocks so changing them to coilovers would require some cutting and modifications. I wasn't sure what he meant by electronic shocks...maybe it means that when you're in Sports mode that a module triggers the shocks to stiffen up??

Anyway, I have a set of KW Var 2 coilovers waiting to be installed. I bought them new from a private party and not directly from KW or a tuner so I only know that they fit the e60. KW's site has a note that says "Not for vehicles with automatic level control". I didn't think that applied to my Sports Pkg 545 but I just emailed them for info.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='216849' date='Dec 29 2005, 09:46 AM
Hi All,

Would any of you know if aftermarket coilovers are direct replacements for the shock/springs set up on a 545 with Sports Package? I had thought they were but I talked to a rep at Dinan yesterday and he thought that cars with Sports Pkg have electronic shocks so changing them to coilovers would require some cutting and modifications. I wasn't sure what he meant by electronic shocks...maybe it means that when you're in Sports mode that a module triggers the shocks to stiffen up??

Anyway, I have a set of KW Var 2 coilovers waiting to be installed. I bought them new from a private party and not directly from KW or a tuner so I only know that they fit the e60. KW's site has a note that says "Not for vehicles with automatic level control". I didn't think that applied to my Sports Pkg 545 but I just emailed them for info.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm not 100% certain, but here's my take. ARS is an active stabilizer bar system, and the shocks are standard, unlike, for example, the E60 M5 which has active dampers (what the Dinan rep is referring to as electronic shocks). More info on ARS:
ARS.pdf
Old 12-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be a straight swap.

What Dinan may have been referring to when it said "cutting and modifications" is to the installation of the shocks/struts -- depending on what type of system and setup they are using, e.g. bump stops, etc.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Thanks guys.