E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Colors that go well with shadowline trim?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Yes, FP has the right idea. You won't find a lot of love for chrome on this forum. We either all hate and have replaced it, or have cars that came without the chrome. Personally? Chrome is disgusting.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
So what's stopping you??
I think the posted photo explains it...it's her daily driver. It's 'my' car, but she drives it . I think the shadowline makes it more masculine so that's pretty much what is stopping me. I need to Jedi mind trick her somehow. Maybe the kidneys first. Gloss black on those, right?

Another few weeks driving the manual and she may be begging me to do it. Her shift timing is getting more and more aggressive.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

For the grills and you want to go black...gloss black yes. Matte black looks too plasticky to me. I had matte black grills on. I took them off after awhile and put the chrome back on with the black center slats. I have the OEM gloss black and will put them on someday.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60 550i motorsport metallic grey, black leather interior, head up display, logis & stereo, sat nav, M sport pakage and full options. 19' twin spoke wheels and LED front and tail lights

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
I think the posted photo explains it...it's her daily driver. It's 'my' car, but she drives it . I think the shadowline makes it more masculine so that's pretty much what is stopping me. I need to Jedi mind trick her somehow. Maybe the kidneys first. Gloss black on those, right?

Another few weeks driving the manual and she may be begging me to do it. Her shift timing is getting more and more aggressive.
i don't want to speak out of line but it sounds like you gotta start by working out "who's" car it really is ??
Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by el'Skell
i don't want to speak out of line but it sounds like you gotta start by working out "who's" car it really is ??
It's my car that she drives everyday, it's our car. I drive a GMC truck and need it for my hobbies, paddleboarding and mountain bike riding, and household type chores. We use the 5 for everything as a family and I drive it if we go somewhere.

I did all of the research and picked it out (what woman would buy a manual transmission in a sedan?), bought it, drove it home over 1300 miles, I clean it, I maintain it, I do everything but drive it to work.

It's our one nice vehicle.

I doubt she'd complain if I shadowlined the windows and blacked the kidneys, I'm just wondering if it fits the style of the car. I don't have sport wheels or a spoiler or anything at all sporty on the car. Just don't know if it fits a 528i. The silver line in the front grill will stand out a ton if I gloss black the kidneys...
Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Engine: N52

If you decide to dechrome the car do everything. It will flow much nicer.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

For the kidneys, gloss black surround with matte black centers. Another is body color surround and gloss or matte center.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60 550i motorsport metallic grey, black leather interior, head up display, logis & stereo, sat nav, M sport pakage and full options. 19' twin spoke wheels and LED front and tail lights

It's my car that she drives everyday, it's our car. I drive a GMC truck and need it for my hobbies, paddleboarding and mountain bike riding, and household type chores. We use the 5 for everything as a family and I drive it if we go somewhere.

I did all of the research and picked it out (what woman would buy a manual transmission in a sedan?), bought it, drove it home over 1300 miles, I clean it, I maintain it, I do everything but drive it to work.

It's our one nice vehicle.

I doubt she'd complain if I shadowlined the windows and blacked the kidneys, I'm just wondering if it fits the style of the car. I don't have sport wheels or a spoiler or anything at all sporty on the car. Just don't know if it fits a 528i. The silver line in the front grill will stand out a ton if I gloss black the kidneys...
do it then, look at it as a first step. Thats where i'm at too starting mods and trying to figure out how, when and what, from these guys that know more than me. Hey man its a great car, go for it
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM
New Members

This is the first time I am searching for auto body work when my car accidentally hit the front yard truck at my house. I know this sounds not good but my car really got damage a lot. So, any suggesting regarding auto body work..

Auto Body
Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Contributors

Part of me wants to do this so badly, but I think I have one of those colors it may not look so great with. I have Monaco Blue and it's just so dark already. What do y'all think?
If I even do the kidneys I'd have to address the silver strip in the front grill, no?
To do, or not to do?
Your question - colors and shadowline trim. I personally feel that the darker the car body color - the better the black trim works.

I also have a Monaco Blue e60 w/sport (therefore shadowline trim) and think the less chrome the better - especially around the windows/doors. That said, matt black or CF kidney grills are an option - the chrome trim in the lower front grill is a must go black!

On a side note - doesn't it seem odd that most (?many?) car manufacturers put black trim on their low-end/standard models and charge extra for shiny trim. BMW does it the other way around

Quick Reply: Colors that go well with shadowline trim?