E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

cold air intake vs scoop

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530I sport. Sapphire black current mods; limo tint, smoked sidesignals, black/white emblems, RPI scoop, BMI filter, black kidney grill and M5 front bumper installed soon

ok so i would like to add a little hp/lbft to my 06 530I. im looking into minor engine products, nothing that voids warranty or can cause any engine worry for normal street driving. i have heard different views toward aFe cold air intake system along with the RPI scoops. from my understanding the scoops just allows for the stock intake to perform a little better gaining a small increase in hp/lbft..... im sure the intake wont give me much more then 8hp realistically so im looking with regards to cost and efficientsy (aren't we all lol). so im looking for current users of these products or those with experience to chime in on these options or give me a better option.... thanks guys, to this point this board has been great!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

I have the Dinan CAI on my car which opens up the other inlet. I have a 545 so I'm not sure if that's the same out come for all Dinan CAI applications. I added the RPI scoops as well and because of the Dinan CAI, I can have two scoops instead of just one. It's a nice combo and I think the two work together nicely.........

B
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 X3 LCI

You beat me to the punch dude...I'm interested in the same items and would like to hear some veteran members pros/cons...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I sport. Sapphire black current mods; limo tint, smoked sidesignals, black/white emblems, RPI scoop, BMI filter, black kidney grill and M5 front bumper installed soon

well im glad im not alone.... another question- the BMC kit from RPI, does that include the Ram Air Induction, scoop and filter? by adding to the stock box aren't you limited to the gains where as if you went to an aftermarket intake are the possibilities not larger? again, for the price difference of a few hundred bucks i would give up 2 or 3 hp gain but still.... where is the right direction to go here.... and im passing on Dinan at this point. no question they make the best but im going for wheels and tires so i cant afford their prices quite yet. haha thanks

Originally Posted by 2004E60Beemer' post='786042' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:14 AM
You beat me to the punch dude...I'm interested in the same items and would like to hear some veteran members pros/cons...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i w/ sport package: bone stock :( 2006 Yamaha R-6exy Raven: Fully Loaded Track weapon 2004 Ducati 749 Testaretta: Fully Loaded two other family cars that I dont care to mention, lol!

There you go, you just answered your questions. If your on a budget, just get the RPI sccop/BMC combo. then along the lines of later get the powerchip tune. Then you'll be rolling
Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

AFE CAI, no bueno....

have a read thru this thread:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=63222

scoops + stock air box + BMC filter = good to go
Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributors

IF you add an afe or other similar open box air filter, you draw in hot air from the engine bay...
which will reduce horse power. in order to gain hp, you must use a stock box configuration unless
you go with dinan. If you compare the prices for the dinan and RPI setup, you'll see that the gains
vs $$$, RPI is the way to go. i was able to witness a dyno @ RPI and the temps within the engine
bay were above 200 degrees F. When temps were taken inside the stock box the ambient temps
were 75 degress F.

If you want to gain hp go with either dinan or rpi. I personally suggest going with the RPI setup.
Good luck and i hope this helped.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Members

and as usual all my answers are answered...and quickly. thanks boys appreciate everyones responses... now, who offers the cheapest RPI packages LOL!!

Originally Posted by dbae1978' post='786061' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:34 AM
IF you add an afe or other similar open box air filter, you draw in hot air from the engine bay...
which will reduce horse power. in order to gain hp, you must use a stock box configuration unless
you go with dinan. If you compare the prices for the dinan and RPI setup, you'll see that the gains
vs $$$, RPI is the way to go. i was able to witness a dyno @ RPI and the temps within the engine
bay were above 200 degrees F. When temps were taken inside the stock box the ambient temps
were 75 degress F.

If you want to gain hp go with either dinan or rpi.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by surf1woody' post='786063' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:36 AM
and as usual all my answers are answered...and quickly. thanks boys appreciate everyones responses... now, who offers the cheapest RPI packages LOL!!
that would be trinity autosport...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=63096
Old 02-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by surf1woody' post='786063' date='Feb 5 2009, 11:36 AM
TRINITY!!!!!! pm nerweezy or TRINITY AUTOSPORT

Quick Reply: cold air intake vs scoop