E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cold Air Intake or Air Filter W/Stock Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

Are you sure your calculations are correct?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM
New Members

im starting to think that it may be the catalytic converter, would make sense because of the smell from the exhaust, also once a rev it a huge build up of smoke just shoots out as if its clogged or something, an also, when i turn on the heat, its not very strong, (experience from another car, the car was not shooting out any heat when i would turn on the heat, as soon as i changed the catalytic converter, the heat an air was much stronger in the car) . an lastly, when im driving, an i let go of the gas so the car can roll, its feels as if the car is being forcefully being slowed down as if im down shifting in a manual car, but my car is auto, my guess is the car is being restricted from breathing from the cat, but im a newbie, so if anyone has a better suggestion, please do say. thanks again
Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by onetime
Are you sure your calculations are correct?
im not calculating it manually, but i reset the mpg on the idrive comp an its still reads now around 11mpg, within 2 days, quarter of a tank went gone an i barely drove it, an i drove it very easy
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

Damn!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 PM
New Members

i did a little more research an found out that a bad thermostat may cause unburned fuel and obviously a lack of heat for the heater
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Go to a competent exhaust shop and have them flow-check the system.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by plowery21
What type of fuel are you running? Needs to be 91 and up for best results but will run on 87 ok.. Also the amount of Ethanol can really hurt mpg. This may be a regional issue as state regulations may allow more than others.

Dont have a K&N yet, but getting one soon. Have had them in all my cars and diesel trucks and they all have had a positive results.
It kinda blows that all gas has 10% ethanol in it now.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Originally Posted by tex_phil
It kinda blows that all gas has 10% ethanol in it now.
Agree. I have ethanol free 87 here in SC, so I fill up with 93 E10, and top off with 87 ethanol free. I have seen a difference in mpg and response in throttle. Figure the octane equals 91 when mixed as required by BMW.

I have also heard but have not confirmed that the 10% ethanol is per process,....so they can add 10% at plant, add 10% at the bulk storage and then 10% at distribution. Again I havent confirmed.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

You shouldn't drop that significantly with e10. I am running a Cobb ap tune with a 70/30 mix of acn91 and e85. On my fill up yesterday I am getting 20 mpg even with my not so friendly to mpg driving characteristics. My calculations are from the old school method and not the car's display.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530i

Just my 2 cents from previous experiences but seafoam is not good for your motor at all. I have a couple of buddies that really jacked their car up from seafoam. It saturates cats an mufflers also. I would definitely got to an exhaust shop and have them checked. Also, seafoam will cause your car to smoke because esentially your cleaning the carbon out of your motor and it has to go somewhere. Now think what's going to catch all that carbon build up. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake or Air Filter W/Stock Box