E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cold Air Intake or Air Filter W/Stock Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake or Air Filter W/Stock Box

Hi i have a 2004 545i, ive been searching all though the forums and cant seem the find the answer im looking for. I'll make it short though, im looking for better gas mileage. I need a professional opinion as to the what is best for me. Should i get a cold air intake or just a normal k&n or bmc air filter with the stock box ( i also heard of people removing the charcol filter) . Ive heard a lot of bad thing about afe cai so thats definitely off my list. But over all im looking for better gas mileage. Links to the air filters/cai would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: '09. Sport. Premium. Nav. C/T.Charcoal delete.K&N air filter.Kidneys.

Tonkaforce. I would love to install an aftermarket cai, but my car is still under factory warranty. So I opted for what many members have advised which is to remove the charcoal delete filter and replace the stock filter with a k&n. Warranty still intacted and have been to dealer twice since. I am the 2nd owner of the vehicle and when I picked it up, car was getting 21.1 mpg. After the upgrade and several weeks of driving, car now gets 24.4. Certain there will be many with positive opinions on a cai, bottom line is that it's all up to you. Please search the site as there are countless members who have completed this very easy installation. Regardless, enjoy your e60 and welcome to the family.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Tonkaforce, you didn't state the mpg you're currently getting. If you're getting around 17mpg mixed, you should be happy. With 545s, that's typical of what other members are getting.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Senior Members

this is what I did , I just need to buy the BMC filter for the box! https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...am-air-125550/ read through the whole thing theres mpg results there also!

Last edited by 545IblupasdU; 10-05-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:20 AM
New Members

im getting around 8-12 mpg :S so far ive changed all the spark plugs, oil, oil filter, cleaned the air filter, ran some seafoam in the oil before i changed it an also ran some seafoam in the gas tank, i want to run some through the vacum line, but im not sure which hose it is on the 545. but i guess im getting a k&n air filter then with stock box, an ill do some more reading ram air. but any suggestions as to why im getting 8-12 mpg, i live in very flat land, no hills and i drive very easy, i barely push it. thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

BMC or K&N Air filter with RPI Scoop and Carbon delete should be suffice.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

What type of fuel are you running? Needs to be 91 and up for best results but will run on 87 ok.. Also the amount of Ethanol can really hurt mpg. This may be a regional issue as state regulations may allow more than others.

Dont have a K&N yet, but getting one soon. Have had them in all my cars and diesel trucks and they all have had a positive results.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:21 AM
New Members

i use 92, an the more i drive it, the more the mpg seems to go down, im driving around with 8.9 mpg now which really sucks. i have some seafoam, i just dont know which is the correct vacum hose to be pouring this stuff into
Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by tonkaforce
i use 92, an the more i drive it, the more the mpg seems to go down, im driving around with 8.9 mpg now which really sucks. i have some seafoam, i just dont know which is the correct vacum hose to be pouring this stuff into
18 city/26 highway are the original specs for the 545i. I do around 19-20 mixed. 8.9 is seriously poor by half. It sounds like a mechanical issue exists, unless you climb major hills and are always loading the engine at WOT. Do you smell any fuel? Are you experiencing any loss of power, pinging, rough idling, unusual noises, drivability issues, etc? You may have clogged injectors, clogged in-tank fuel filter, vapor loss due to an unsealed recovery system, fuel loss somewhere, etc. Also, check your O2 sensors and catalytic converter efficiency. If partially clogged, you may have reduced power (thus causing more throttle to achieve momentum). Have you (or do you currently) experience a 'rotten egg' (sulfur) smell, especially under moderate load? Keep us posted!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:47 PM
New Members

thanks for the reply, and no, im not climbing any hills at all, all flat calm driving. my father did say he notice an unusual smell of gasoline coming from the exhaust. also the car does smoke from the exhaust a bit, its gotten better, but last time my friend reved it , a cloud of smoke shot out of the exhaust. the car idles fine an sounds good, there is a little clicking sound at the engine, but im pretty sure thats because i just changed the oil. also i did notice a weird sound come from under the car ( under the car on the driver side near the exhaust) its sounds like a high pitch buzzing sound jus like when u turn on HID lights. also, i just remembered, about 4 days ago, the check engine light went on, i scanned it an it said P1890 . cleared the code and it never came back. thanks guys

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake or Air Filter W/Stock Box