E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

cold air intake for 545I

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i, 6spd manual, Premium pkg, Cold Weather pkg

+1 for RPi Scoop w/ Filter
Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

I'm rolling with Dinan CAI, RPI dual scoops, removed charcole air filter on my 545 and I'm luv'n it.

No issues, it breathes great as well.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributors

OP you will loose power with any form of a cone intake due to heat soak. There have been countless dynos proving that the intakes such as AFE, Burger Tuning and injen will result in a loss of power. The only way not to loose power is by using a stock box configuration. As some others have mentioned the dinan will work great because it utilizes a stock box configuration. If you look at manufacturers such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW M, MBZ AMG, and others you will notice none of them use an open air intake system. All of them use a closed stock box configuration, do dissipate the heat from the engine. if the cone intakes performed better than the stock intakes, why wouldn't all these manufactures just put them in from the get go?

I would suggest going with a bmc drop in filter and RPi ram air scoops for the best power gains. Anything else can and will result is a loss of power. RPI's products have the highest gains in the market. there are no other products available that can compare to the awesome gains you will receive with Race Precision's products.

good luck and I hope this helped.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by dbae1978' post='998736' date='Sep 4 2009, 04:29 PM
OP you will loose power with any form of a cone intake due to heat soak. There have been countless dynos proving that the intakes such as AFE, Burger Tuning and injen will result in a loss of power. The only way not to loose power is by using a stock box configuration. As some others have mentioned the dinan will work great because it utilizes a stock box configuration. If you look at manufacturers such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW M, MBZ AMG, and others you will notice none of them use an open air intake system. All of them use a closed stock box configuration, do dissipate the heat from the engine. if the cone intakes performed better than the stock intakes, why wouldn't all these manufactures just put them in from the get go?

I would suggest going with a bmc drop in filter and RPi ram air scoops for the best power gains. Anything else can and will result is a loss of power. RPI's products have the highest gains in the market. there are no other products available that can compare to the awesome gains you will receive with Race Precision's products.

good luck and I hope this helped.
from what i have researched....and heard of it looks as if the dinan air intake system looks like the best bet...it keeps the closed box configuration as well as creates another passege for air to enter....and i am looking to find something that will work and i wont have to redo the application again... from what i can see it gives about 17hp to the rear wheels and about 14 lb/ft of torque.... it looks as if it would be the best decision.... my question is...is the dinan a direct fit application and will it run properly without signaling any trouble codes or engine lights? any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Contributors

no codes but for the money, it's pretty expensive. If you can swing it, get the dinan coupled with the rpi ram air scoops.
that would be the best bet in terms of performance.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 PM
mk4
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Ipod, 35% Tinted windows

Originally Posted by bmwroger1' post='998860' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:06 PM
from what i have researched....and heard of it looks as if the dinan air intake system looks like the best bet...it keeps the closed box configuration as well as creates another passege for air to enter....and i am looking to find something that will work and i wont have to redo the application again... from what i can see it gives about 17hp to the rear wheels and about 14 lb/ft of torque.... it looks as if it would be the best decision.... my question is...is the dinan a direct fit application and will it run properly without signaling any trouble codes or engine lights? any thoughts?
I have got the dinan setup on my ride and it was pretty easy to install. In terms of 17hp to the wheels, its going to be hard with most dynos to replicate. For some odd reason when I installed my dinan intake and had the car tuned by Jeremy at Powerchip it appeared though I was getting a lot low end increase in HP, I was losing it on the top end. Either way right now I am very happy with the setup, and am looking to having some additional tuning done to the car sometime in the next week or two. I will let members know how it goes.