E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Coilover install decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007 | 02:45 PM
Contributors

^Nice post.

You could try putting in a spring with a lower spring rate to help out with the ride. It doesn't necessarily have to be H&R.

Not sure if this holds true for the H&R coilovers for the e60, but for other BMWs, I've read that they use a really cheap/poor shock.
Old 01-09-2007 | 02:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

Awesome, thanks Mike.

So I talked to a few more techs today at work, and they informed me that the H&R coilovers are ok with the ARS system. It is only if you have the self-leveling system that you cannot lower the rear. I'm thinking a few people had those two confused with each other just like I did.

For now, I'm going to wait until the coilovers settle in and maybe get my allignment done too.

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='375981' date='Jan 9 2007, 03:34 PM
"There are two parts to this: The spring and the spring damper (we call the dampers "shocks" in the US).

The spring is a simple mechanical device, in that by its design it provides so many ft lbs of resistance. Most springs are progressive, i.e. you can usually see two or more "zones" in the spring that offer various resistance. Usually a small portion of the spring is soft and provides bump softening, the rest of it takes care of the bigger bumps.

The damper -- Ill call it a shock from now on, although bugs the hell out of me -- is there to control the movement of the spring. Ever rode in someone's old caddy, or olds, and the car rolls up and down after hitting a bump like it's on waves? That's because the springs are still doing there jobs, but the shocks are shot, and are not controlling the movement of the spring. Ideally, the spring should only compress/decompress once. The shock is what controls the movement of the spring.

Jesus, this is getting long. You better make this a sticky.

The shock has two "settings"...at least. There is the rate of compression, the rate at which the shock allows the spring to compress. YOu dont want the spring to just shoot up and end up bottoming out every time you run over a twig (exaggerated example). Too stiff, and the spring doesnt give at all, and the car goes bouncing up in the air.

THe second setting is the speed at which the shock moves the spring back down to the pavement. The stiffer the shock -- to a point -- the quicker the wheel gets back down to the ground.

Okay, got all that?

Coilovers are combination shock/spring combos, most often adjustable. Do a search on the site to find them. You will see a spring on an adjustable perch on the strut, and within that spring you will see the shock (spring damper).

When looking at aftermarket coilovers, you want to compare a) the spring rate with your current spring rate and b) the compression and rebound stiffness of the shock. Too soft, and you get a smoother ride with decreased handling and increased body roll, too stiff and you're riding in a kart down city streets.

I didnt get into how the shocks physiologically work, through hydraulics and heat. Someone else can do that.

Hope this helps."
H&R do not have adjustable dampeners.
Old 01-09-2007 | 03:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

All this time I thought the H&R coilovers have dampening adjustment like my KWs. I'm perfectly happy with the KWs cause I was able to dial in the stiffness and my ride is firm yet compliant enough for both everyday plus spirited driving.

As for changing the springs on your H&R coilovers, I thought that those springs are specifically matched to those coilovers so wouldn't changing them to something else negatively affect the set up even more?
Old 01-09-2007 | 04:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='375997' date='Jan 9 2007, 07:12 PM
All this time I thought the H&R coilovers have dampening adjustment like my KWs. I'm perfectly happy with the KWs cause I was able to dial in the stiffness and my ride is firm yet compliant enough for both everyday plus spirited driving.

As for changing the springs on your H&R coilovers, I thought that those springs are specifically matched to those coilovers so wouldn't changing them to something else negatively affect the set up even more?

I really want KW because they are stainless steal! I'm jealous you were able to get them for 1200!! :'(
Old 01-09-2007 | 04:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='376047' date='Jan 9 2007, 05:44 PM
I really want KW because they are stainless steal! I'm jealous you were able to get them for 1200!! :'(
He needs to go with the dinan suspension so he'll sell them to you for a $1K.
Old 01-09-2007 | 04:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='375997' date='Jan 9 2007, 04:12 PM

A quality shock should be able to accommodate a number of different springs with varying spring rate.
Old 01-09-2007 | 04:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='376052' date='Jan 9 2007, 08:48 PM
Haha, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 01-09-2007 | 05:08 PM
Contributors

Here is a post regarding H&R coilovers. This is regards to an e46 M3, but I think some of it can be applied here. Coming from the M3 forums, dan law is reputable and knows his suspensions

Originally Posted by Dan Law
May I suggest that your desire to change suspension is motivated more by the inherent deficiencies of the H&R system than by a desire for simplicity. I have worked with many different suspension systems. As expected, there is a bell curve distribution of quality amongst the various brands grouped by price. In the H&R Kit price point distribution, various brands such as Bilstein's PSS9 and KW fill the middle of the curve, TCK and GC are at the high end of the curve, and (unfortunately) placed absolutely by it's lonely on the low end is H&R.

The H&Rs are by far the worst I have encountered for a number of reasons:
1. The dampers are basic Bilstein yellows - not so bad but not PSS9 quality

2. The springs are cheap H&R units which are cut mid wind and not taperred so as to sit well in the spring perches

3. The rear ride height adjusters - both old and new designs - are very prone to cracking along the adjustment axis

4. H&R's customer AND dealer support is the worst I have encountered

5. Knowing of the issues with cracked rear ride height adjusters, H&R regularly runs out. This usually entails a 3 month backorder.

May I suggest, especially for an accomplished driver like you, that going to a ride height adjustable system is a recommended thing to do. While you are correct that you just want to set and forget the heights, I would assume you would want the system balanced. A fixed height system can NOT be balanced unless it is either custom fitted prior to fixing the ride height or shimmed to result in an equal cross distribution of weight. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a ride height adjustable system and setting the cross weights once for the life of the vehicle - assuming no hits, sagging &c.

Further I would suggest getting the Rear Upper Shock Mounts either offers - the stock mounts have failed even with stock suspension which can be quite expensive to repair. Be sure to specify a good spring rate - dependent on where you live and road conditions (TCK and Ground Control both allow spring rates to be speced AND use quality springs). Finally, DO get the rear top adjustable option as it makes changes to damping a clean 30 second job.

I can both advise you as to your specific spring rate needs and get you Ground Control products at a good price; I encourage you to contact me offline at: de_law@bellsouth.net

Dan Law
Old 01-09-2007 | 05:28 PM
Contributors

H&R is an OKAY company. There spring designs are a little bit more aggressive and coilovers are okay made, but you get what you pay for. Eibach springs have a tendency to sag over time and Teins... eh. You get what you pay.

So if you want inexpensive coilovers, H&R. For medium price range, KW, and for high price, TCK.

Thats why many people suggest of instead of buying less expensive coilovers, you shud buy really really good springs.

SCREW COILOVERS, just get bags.
Old 01-09-2007 | 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='376052' date='Jan 9 2007, 05:48 PM
HAHAHA...I knew that was coming....

Hmm...off topic but I wonder why Dinan doesn't make coilovers?

Quick Reply: Coilover install decision