E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Clear Protective Coverings

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='713569' date='Nov 6 2008, 12:22 AM
It cost me no more than $700... usually it ranges from $400 to $600 ish for hood bumper fender lights and side mirrors... got www.xpel.com and on the bottom right side enter your zip code to find a local installer. Look for one thats both factory trained and a DAP member. that usually means they have their own machine and will cut the film on site instead of buying pre-cut film... so they should have more experience on the installation.
+1

Mine was ~ $700 as well, Including a custom cut film for my Hartge style splitter and door-handle wells.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by melimel' post='713694' date='Nov 6 2008, 05:38 AM
i saw it on a white bmw that was about 2 or 3 years old.. and it was not white anymore..that did it for me.. the clear bra looked yellow-ish maybe on a darker car(other then white) its good though.. just my opinion
Not all clear bra are created equal... ask a Victoria Secrets Rep... And it also depends on how well you take care of it. Same goes with anything else... the better you take care of it the better it'll last. I've had a 3M clear bra on my Electric Blue MINI for over 3 years and it did not turn yellow, the new owner still has it on the car now and its starting to show signs of wear and tear, I bet its because he did not take care of it as well as I did. I had a 3M on my IS 350 for 1.5 years and it was like brand spanking new when I sold it. I had a almost 4 year old Avery brand clear bra on E60 and clearly you can see its yellow when you're up close and I take care of it just as well as any other clear bra I had on the other cars.

So reguarding brand. I've had 3 different brands before Avery, 3M and Ventureshield. Ventureshield is currently on my Porsche. I believe 3M bought out Ventureshield or partnered with them since last year so now 3M brand film is actually Ventureshield. Ventureshield is by far the best film out there, it has a REAL layer of clear coat similar to whats on the paint of your car so it makes it much easier to get dust and dirt off it. 3M is very good too. I dont have anything bad to say about it besides that it is not as smooth and sturdy as Ventureshield. Avery, just avoid it. Its thin and not as smooth as the others and attracts dirt.

Yellowing, dirt is what contributes most to the yellowing not the sun, the film is breathable... so if you leave dirt and dust on it eventually it will make its way into the pores and in addition to the moisture and sun beating on it will cause the film to turn yellow. If you keep a nice layer of wax on it and use Plexus marine plastic cleaner to clean it every time you wash the car the clearbra will last much longer.

The point is the film is great just because you saw it on one or two cars thats yellow it doesnt mean its bad, its due to the owners... Not all clear bra will turn as yellow as the one you saw. I mean over 4-5+ years I'm sure it'll turn yellow somewhat no matter how well you take care of it... but by then you've got your money's worth... Even leather bra's wont last that long.