E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

clear bra pic, attention JDN

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well after looking at my rear end damage I inspected the car front to back. It will be going in for repairs next week so I figured they could take care of some small things while it's in there. I noticed a tiny ping about 3 inches above the roundel on the hood, they will take care of that as well as a tiny chip on the front spoiler.

I'm curious if the clear bra would have covered these areas. Is it applied to the intricate spoiler area?

JDN I remember you posted some pic's many months ago, could you repost them and show where the bra ends as it relates to the roundel? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:47 PM
JDN
Contributors

Here is a picture I took after my road trip from Texas to Florida and back. You can actually see the bra where it starts immediately behind the left headlight. I labeled the picture for you. After I took the picture, I noticed a blemish in the bra on the bumper around the left PDC sensor. I thought it was a bug I had missed during the clean up, but it turned out to be a tear in the bra. There is no scratch or mark of any sort on the paint. One of these days, I will ask the installer if he thinks it might be a blemish in the film or an actual tear from contact.
Attached Thumbnails clear bra pic, attention JDN-bra1a.jpg  
Old 06-29-2004, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

4 1/2 " would have covered it. Thanks for the info and pic. Does it cover the front skirt and lower spoiler? Also have you noticed any dirt/dust buildup along the seams, can't tell from the pic. She still looks real clean kid.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:34 PM
JDN
Contributors

Yep, the bumpers and rear view mirrors are covered. No build up as of yet. The first two times I waxed, I had to clean the wax away from the seam. That was a little worrisome.

Since then, I have put Rejex on twice. No problem with build up on the seams any more and no problem getting wax on the black, only to turn white as it dries. Rejex is a polymer that shines like crazy and appears to protect. It is much simpler to apply than carnauba wax. We have had 17 days of rain here in Dallas. Water runs off this stuff like a duck's back after 17 days.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:28 AM
JDN
Contributors

As a follow up to the second post in this thread concerning the nick in the clear bra, I discovered a second similar nick close to the first one a week or so later. Then I figured out one of my habits that caused both nicks. The installer inserted small patches (no charge) which keeps both nicks from being visible from ten to fifteen feet. You could see them on close inspection, but I never do except when cleaning.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

And your habit is?...
Old 11-29-2006, 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by JDN' post='361740' date='Nov 29 2006, 09:28 AM
As a follow up to the second post in this thread concerning the nick in the clear bra, I discovered a second similar nick close to the first one a week or so later. Then I figured out one of my habits that caused both nicks. The installer inserted small patches (no charge) which keeps both nicks from being visible from ten to fifteen feet. You could see them on close inspection, but I never do except when cleaning.
When the VentureShield guy did my 530xi, he put on a couple of pieces in that lower spoiler area, the wheel bulges, both mirrors, and the headlights, too. He didn't have the pre-cut pieces for the headlights, but had to cut the pieces to fit by trimming the applied film around the lights. I've put a couple of coats of Rejex on the Venture Shield, with fine results.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:59 AM
JDN
Contributors

Ah, Rudy, you wouldn't be digging would ya? And I don't think you're interested in what I'm wearing, so here goes.

The City of Dallas furnishes these humongous plastic garbage containers on wheels designed to be lifted mechanically by a very expensive garbage truck. (Although they still lift them manually in my neighborhood.) I store it on a small concrete slab connected to my drive. When I swing out to square with the garage, if the garbage container is close to the drive (sometimes the wind moves it), I would nudge it with the bumper on the way in. There is a small piece of 1" aluminum tubing on the container for lifting. I did not realize that it was extended just barely enough to graze the bumper. So, I nicked the clear bra twice before I sleuthed for the cause. Now I always park the container with the aluminum tube away from the drive and drop two wheels off the small slab so it resists the wind on most breezy days.

There now -- more than you ever wanted to know about my habit.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Interesting...okay, now I'm curious...what are you wearing?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='361754' date='Nov 29 2006, 04:00 PM
Interesting...okay, now I'm curious...what are you wearing?
Maybe... a habit!!

ABC

Quick Reply: clear bra pic, attention JDN