E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Chrome tail pipe 520d

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

There have been postings about this in the past, but I thought I'd have another crack at it... (the modding bug is getting hold of me again!)

AC Schnitzer do a tail pipe for around EUR 265, which requires about 5-7cm of the orginal tail pipe to be cut away, before the ACS chrome tail pipe can be mounted and bolted tight. No welding is required, although they did recommend this was done to be extra sure it stayed where it should do.

Breyton do a tail pipe for around EUR 165, which involves the whole tail pipe being cut off and the Breyton chrome tail pipe is then welded on.

BMW currently do not offer an OEM chrome tail pipe for the 520d. They only offer a smaller chrome tail pipe for the 120d/320d. This does not fit the 520d.

I have a company car, which has to go back to the leasing company "as delivered". I am therefore limited to mods that can be easily un-done before returning the car. I would need a chrome tail pipe that can be mounted over the existing tail pipe and bolted into place.

So as far as I can see, this only leaves the option of having a custom chrome tail pipe manufactured.

Does anyone have any experience of having these kind of items custom made or can anyone recommend a company to get in contact with?

(I assume that if something sensible was proposed, we could do a group purchase via the Forum? I know there has been a lot of interest in this product, also in German Forums.)

Thanks in advance...
Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

I just sanded mine down and then polished on my previous 520d, looks pretty good. Haven't done the new car yet but will get round to it soon unless you can find a good custom made finisher at a reasonable price.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by k44ent' post='381703' date='Jan 22 2007, 06:36 PM
I just sanded mine down and then polished on my previous 520d, looks pretty good. Haven't done the new car yet but will get round to it soon unless you can find a good custom made finisher at a reasonable price.
Same here, sanded mine down with wet and dry very fine emery paper soaked in white spirit. Have since rubbed down with Scratch X to get a fine polished shine and finished off with Rejex to protect it. I actually prefer the highly polished stainless steel finish rather than chrome - I think it's more fitting for a sporting BMW even though it is perhaps the least sporting engine.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by dawi' post='381768' date='Jan 22 2007, 11:01 PM
Same here, sanded mine down with wet and dry very fine emery paper soaked in white spirit. Have since rubbed down with Scratch X to get a fine polished shine and finished off with Rejex to protect it. I actually prefer the highly polished stainless steel finish rather than chrome - I think it's more fitting for a sporting BMW even though it is perhaps the least sporting engine.

Thanks for the replies.

I can't really picture what it would look like and how it would look different. Do you have any pictures of the tailpipe with the finish you described above?

Cheers
Old 01-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

I bought a finisher from these guys some time ago for a 3 series.............................hope it helps

http://www.dw-tuning.co.uk/automotive-equi...e-trim.c89.html
Old 01-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jagman' post='382112' date='Jan 23 2007, 02:42 PM
I bought a finisher from these guys some time ago for a 3 series.............................hope it helps

http://www.dw-tuning.co.uk/automotive-equi...e-trim.c89.html
Nice one! Hadn't thought of D&W. I'll get measuring and see if I can find one that fits...

Cheers
Old 02-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d High Executive

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='382228' date='Jan 23 2007, 07:12 PM
Nice one! Hadn't thought of D&W. I'll get measuring and see if I can find one that fits...

Cheers
xBMWx, did you find any new information regarding the tail pipe? My 520d will be deliverd in 2 weeks, but I'm also looking for a solution to replace the single tail pipe.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Members

ebay has a lot of chrome tailpipes thingys.

I bought it for my soon to be sold 320d.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d High Executive

Originally Posted by 530xda' post='395397' date='Feb 25 2007, 04:27 PM
ebay has a lot of chrome tailpipes thingys.

I bought it for my soon to be sold 320d.

I found this one on Ebay Germany. Anyone knows if this could work?

http://cgi.ebay.de/0-21-NEU-Hochglanz-Edelstahl-Endrohr-MEHR-IM-SHOP_W0QQitemZ320086673945QQihZ011QQcategoryZ57346QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I have the ACS it just cut and bolt on very easy.
Chrome tail pipe 520d-01_06_11_15_acs_ex__new_logo.jpg

Chrome tail pipe 520d-04_06_11_15_acs_ex__new_logo.jpg

Quick Reply: Chrome tail pipe 520d