E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Chrome handles and mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by dawi' post='363103' date='Dec 3 2006, 08:03 AM
I can understand how you guys from over the pond probably hate chrome as US cars have been notorioulsy overchromed and often tacky with it since the '50s. However, in the UK and Europe chrome has been used to highlight cars very subtley over the years to just the right degree.

More recently since the '80s chrome completely went out of fashion and everything became dressed in black plastic which became very tatty as the car got older requiring constant re-blacking with plastic polish.

Over the last 6 or 7 years chrome seems to have made a comeback in cars of various makes from Europe and Japan. My wife has a Rover 75 which uses it liberally but it suits this car as it has a retro design.

BMW are quite restrained with chrome I guess to emphasise the sporty look so it's just restricted to the window surrounds and grill largely, which many people delete. Mercedes uses more chrome to emphasise luxury and Audi is starting to add more on some models.

As others have said though, each to their own - funny though how people still yearn for shiney chrome exhaust pipes and wheels - perhaps these should be blacked out for the chrome haters...

It is like this....

Chrome is considered a decoration. Sports cars are meant for performance. Therefore decorations often go by the wayside on sports cars.

You will find that more sporty cars use less chrome. For example.... BMW only uses chrome window trim on non-sport package cars. When you get sport pack, shadowline trim is included. M-models cars are never available with chrome.

Other manufacturers do the same.

For example, Honda/Acura have followed the chrome deletion policy on their higher models.
When I got my old Honda Civic years ago, the front grill was chrome unless you got the coupe models. And if you got the EX Coupe, the grill was painted to match body color. Otherwise, it would have just been black plastic. The same was true on the Acura Legend. If you got the Sedan, then the grill was chrome. If you got the Coupe, the grill was painted.

I had a 1994 Acura Legend Coupe years ago, which I still consider one of the best looking vehicles ever made by any company. The grill on that car was painted, and was the inspiration behind my decision to paint the grill on my E60.

I HATE chrome with a passion. I think it cheapens the look of any car. The fact that BMW offers shadowline trim is a MAJOR selling point for me.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what you guys are thinking, but I'm thinking about put it on my car and replace roundel logo with 3-point start.
What do you think?
OK. Enough joking. I'm not sure how it looks after installing it. Anyone has it on? Let's share some pic
For sure I'm not going to go with it.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by my530i' post='363122' date='Dec 3 2006, 11:08 AM
I don't know what you guys are thinking, but I'm thinking about put it on my car and replace roundel logo with 3-point start.
What do you think?
OK. Enough joking. I'm not sure how it looks after installing it. Anyone has it on? Let's share some pic
For sure I'm not going to go with it.

Why don't you march in a Pride Parade in San Francisco, while you're at it?

On a serious note.... last weekend I was eating dinner, sitting at the bar of a restaurant. This older guy (looks like he is 65-70) is sitting next to me, and he starts talking about how much he likes his new Mercedes. I humored him, and just smiled and occassionally said something nice like... "yeah... they make nice cars."

Anyway, after a bit he asks what I drive... and I tell him I have a 545i and a 325i. He then goes off on this rant about how he hates BMW because they have no performance. He said he had a 7 series and then a S55 Merc, and that there was no comparison. I was like.... "Duh.... BMW doesn't make an M7. But if they did, it would blow the doors off that S class." He then said that his S55 was faster than his Porsche 911 Turbo. What a douche.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Gray Dakota Leather | Steptronic | Cold Weather | Xenon | Premium Package Modifications: M Aero Kit | Carbon Fiber Kidney Grill | K&N Air Filter | Charcoal Filter Removed | Radenergie R10 Silver 20" soon | kW coilover V3 | SprintBooster soon | M5 trunk finisher Next planned mods: ?Hamann quad exhaust + Hamann quad rear diffuser + Hamann Front Lip?

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='363148' date='Dec 3 2006, 10:14 AM
Why don't you march in a Pride Parade in San Francisco, while you're at it?
On a serious note.... last weekend I was eating dinner, sitting at the bar of a restaurant. This older guy (looks like he is 65-70) is sitting next to me, and he starts talking about how much he likes his new Mercedes. I humored him, and just smiled and occassionally said something nice like... "yeah... they make nice cars."

Anyway, after a bit he asks what I drive... and I tell him I have a 545i and a 325i. He then goes off on this rant about how he hates BMW because they have no performance. He said he had a 7 series and then a S55 Merc, and that there was no comparison. I was like.... "Duh.... BMW doesn't make an M7. But if they did, it would blow the doors off that S class." He then said that his S55 was faster than his Porsche 911 Turbo. What a douche.
Funny guy.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 520i

nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!! :thumbsdown: