E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Chipped 535d on the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Jun 28 2005, 09:57 PM
Great footage.? I've only ever done it on GT4

Nice to hear you beat Clarkson by more than a full minute.

What did you think of the handling? I still think the e60 has more body roll than it should even the M sport rolls far too much IMHO.
[snapback]143882[/snapback]
Thanks I agree, stiffer suspension would be useful. Quite evident on the ring. That being said, it still was good I'm going to play around with a few things on the car over the next few months, starting with the brakes, and then probably install stiffer suspension. The problem is that I need this car as a daily driver, so ideally some form of adjustable suspension?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Contributors

That was awesome. Where did you get the camera from and what kind was it?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

So that others know. Using video cameras on the ring is forbidden now. Obviously one that's as discrete as this is unlikely to be found. But anyone considering going to the ring should know.

And for those who've never been to the ring. The video doesn't do it justice. Experience it for yourself. It's fantastic.

Also, I think any road car will feel like it could do with stiffer suspension. Even a Porsche, which goes around corners like it's on rails normally, feels like a boat around the ring. It's all relative. It's just so great a driving experience that you find even the smallest weakness of your car. But having said that, you will come away with a HUGE smile, even if you took something slow.

A 9 min lap is quite impressive BTW. That's what the ring taxi does.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jun 29 2005, 07:20 AM
That was awesome.? Where did you get the camera from and what kind was it?
[snapback]144045[/snapback]
Originally Posted by ats77' date='Jun 28 2005, 10:19 PM
NIce Sg can you post pic how and what cam did you put there, not bad at all
Camera was a "bullet cam" from www.rfconcepts.co.uk, mounted in the grill in the sport bumper. I had to dremel out a small notch for it to fit. However, because of the bracket that comes with it, I had to reset it every so often to ensure it was straight ahead - I have some footage where its at a slight angle. Next time I'll find a better mount.

On the return journey home it snapped the bolt on the bracket with the vibration, but I'll try and take some pics at the weekend to show you the idea. The cable plugs into your AV in port on your camcorder - pretty neat. I left the mike in the engine bay as well.

Kigerka - did you make it? I didn't manage to get internet access since Tues evening so apologies, because I'd planned to PM you my mobile/cell number in case you could make it and wanted to meet up.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Jun 29 2005, 08:04 AM
So that others know. Using video cameras on the ring is forbidden now. Obviously one that's as discrete as this is unlikely to be found. But anyone considering going to the ring should know.

And for those who've never been to the ring. The video doesn't do it justice. Experience it for yourself. It's fantastic.

Also, I think any road car will feel like it could do with stiffer suspension. Even a Porsche, which goes around corners like it's on rails normally, feels like a boat around the ring. It's all relative. It's just so great a driving experience that you find even the smallest weakness of your car. But having said that, you will come away with a HUGE smile, even if you took something slow.

A 9 min lap is quite impressive BTW. That's what the ring taxi does.
[snapback]144051[/snapback]
Good point - I should have probably made that clear. I was running the risk of getting caught and banned for the day. However, my setup meant it could capture the lap without interfering in my driving in any way, and it was pretty discrete. I passed cars who were giving it some, and the passenger was handholding a camcorder!!! Not good.

I met a friend of yours at the track - he was talking about your Total BMW shoot? I've completely forgotten his name, apologies. He mentioned you've been to the ring quite a few times. He did look at me a bit strange when I said, "ah, you're talking about banglebox530d!!" I think he knew you from Porsche days?

Good point about the suspension - glad to hear its not just me!

I think the Ring taxi does it in very very low 8s? The other thing is that the ring taxi slows deliberately for the corners in order to powerslide round (for the crowd as well as the passengers) so that must slow them down. As soon as I saw the white taxi come flying up behind me I moved over quickly - I completely agree with you that regardless of traffic you *always* come off the track grinning.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SG535d' date='Jun 29 2005, 08:09 AM
Kigerka - did you make it? I didn't manage to get internet access since Tues evening so apologies, because I'd planned to PM you my mobile/cell number in case you could make it and wanted to meet up.
[snapback]144054[/snapback]
Thanks for the info. I did not make it becuase the wife wnated to relax this weekend. It was only a slight chance that I would be able to make it. It was nice to relax this one weekend.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Excellent footage. Liked the idea with the mini camera. My camera takes video
in as well - might consider it

Good job on the lap time...very nice
Old 07-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

It's so sad that I always miss these videos, because can not download those anymore.

Skaffa
Old 07-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skaffa' date='Jul 2 2005, 10:05 AM
It's so sad that I always miss these videos, because can not download those anymore.

Skaffa
[snapback]145178[/snapback]
Skaffa - it's working fine here. I just tried to redownload it again. Can you try again?

Anyone else unable to download it?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by SG535d' date='Jul 2 2005, 12:19 PM
[quote name='skaffa' date='Jul 2 2005, 10:05 AM']It's so sad that I always miss these videos, because can not download those anymore.

Skaffa
[snapback]145178[/snapback]
Skaffa - it's working fine here. I just tried to redownload it again. Can you try again?

Anyone else unable to download it?
[snapback]145180[/snapback]
[/quote]

Maybe it's because all connection in/out China goes through gowernment servers and so some words, IPs cause blocking of those. Has to ask some of my friends in Finland to try to download those.

Thanks,

Skaffa

Quick Reply: Chipped 535d on the Nurburgring