E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cheap BMW Programming hardware??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I hope it turns out well...the spamming of the forum from two people from Hae Tech has left me with a bad taste...
Old 12-31-2008, 04:49 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60 525dA 11-2004 Silver HUD, BT, Voice Control, Active Seats, Seat Heating (front), Xenon HID, Navigation Professional with CCC, Leather Dakota Black, Folding mirros, anti-glare mirrors in+outside, HiFi, CiC retrofitted, Aux in, CD Changer, Dension 500GW, etc...
Wink

GOT MY NEW TOY!!! Here are some pics

The flightcase in which it was delivered:

The opening of the case everything neatly packaged:

Here you can see the 3 cables delivered (2 car connectors round and rectangular one + UTP to yellow box), the actual programming box in yellow:

The IBM T30 laptop bag:

The IBM T30 laptop (English version of course), this is probably a refurbished or 2nd hand laptop but it works

Some booting screens:

The DIS startup screen:

The TIS startup screen:

The configuration screen:

Everything is looking pretty good up until now, however need to make sure my battery in the car is fully loaded as well as the laptop since I'd hate to ruin the ECU just on New Years eve

I'll make a videotape of the workings as soon as I can next week (it's freezing here atm... )

If you happen to stumble upon a manual for the DIS+TIS operations, please let me know.

BTW: also got a very nice New Years card from the people over there, which is always nice to get

For now I just want to wish everybody a happy New Year and lots of BMW fun
Old 12-31-2008, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't have any manual but I think the only safe way to reprogram stuff (especially a progman update) is to not rely solely on the car's (or laptop's) battery. You need to have the car connected to a batttery charger the entire time you're programming to keep things from discharging. Obviously, you should plug the laptop in as well (assuming they sent you an AC adapter...)

Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 12-31-2008, 05:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Wow, how exciting; please let us know what you do with this
Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Bump.

Any news on how this software is working out?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60 525dA 11-2004 Silver HUD, BT, Voice Control, Active Seats, Seat Heating (front), Xenon HID, Navigation Professional with CCC, Leather Dakota Black, Folding mirros, anti-glare mirrors in+outside, HiFi, CiC retrofitted, Aux in, CD Changer, Dension 500GW, etc...

Originally Posted by txag_530i' post='760801' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:55 PM
Bump.

Any news on how this software is working out?
Hi guys,

Well since it's been a busy time lately and it's still freezing and snowing @ -10?C I haven't been able to do a lot.

What I did notice is that I can't change the language of the DIS & TIS from English to Dutch, so I have to download it from somewhere and install the Dutch version.

I hooked up the GT1 to the laptop along with the OBD cable in hope to see a led light up on the GT1 but no luck, think it has to be connected to the car.
If anyone can make me some screenshots on how to enable mp3 in the DIS, plz post them, I'd be very grateful.

As soon as the temperature rises above inhuman levels I'll plug that baby in and run a diagnostic to see if everything is working (should have dutch version by then)

I'm learning every day a bit more about this gizmo, there's a group on yahoo called "openbmw" and they appear to have some knowledge over there too (now if I only remember my frigging yahoo password :$)

BTW: can anybody tell me what the icons on top right of the DIS screen indicate?

Thanks and I'll try and answer your questions asap.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i M Sport Induvidual; Induvidual Black exterior (475 Saphire Black metallic), Induvidual Z1XX Merino leather Platinum interior, Logic 7, shadow line trim.

Good luck with this mate and thanks for sharing so far. It's like extortion getting the dealer to programme options and upgrade iDrive software! So be good to see this work out for you.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by brosken' post='761101' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:52 PM
Hi guys,

Well since it's been a busy time lately and it's still freezing and snowing @ -10?C I haven't been able to do a lot.

What I did notice is that I can't change the language of the DIS & TIS from English to Dutch, so I have to download it from somewhere and install the Dutch version.

I hooked up the GT1 to the laptop along with the OBD cable in hope to see a led light up on the GT1 but no luck, think it has to be connected to the car.
If anyone can make me some screenshots on how to enable mp3 in the DIS, plz post them, I'd be very grateful.

As soon as the temperature rises above inhuman levels I'll plug that baby in and run a diagnostic to see if everything is working (should have dutch version by then)

I'm learning every day a bit more about this gizmo, there's a group on yahoo called "openbmw" and they appear to have some knowledge over there too (now if I only remember my frigging yahoo password :$)

BTW: can anybody tell me what the icons on top right of the DIS screen indicate?

Thanks and I'll try and answer your questions asap.
T

That is a great tool if it works keep us posted Hey man I already have a reprogram job for you i will ship the car to you ( at your expense of course)

and have you program my sunroof to be able to close and be able to roll up my windows with the key fob. help a brother out
Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

Originally Posted by brosken' post='749386' date='Dec 20 2008, 07:22 AM
Hi guys & girls,

I was looking for the equipment I need to do my own programming on the car (getting tired of leaving my car for a day to do a simple thing)

So I found this company that sells it all http://www.haetech.com/products_detail.asp?id=73

Apparantly they can do it for +/- $500 with software & laptop included...

Any thoughts on them or experiences?

Thanks,

Sven

Does this come with the fiber optic cable as well as the main connector? Just a warning for you guys that if you only plug into the driver kick you are not able to update modules such as the CCC, GTW, ANT, and lots more so I only would get this if it comes with both connection ports, including the optical connector behind the glove box. That being said how much does this thing cost including your first year of software?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Members

Hi Folks,
I already posted this some months ago. But put it on again. I have had the gt1 for some months now. It comes with laptop and is the same as the dealers use only it is made in China.
So the hard drive is split in two one side does diagnostics and the other does programming. The dealers at the moment still use gt1 for diagnostics and although i had a few connection problems and sent it back twice! When it does the diagnostics it is fantastic and i had a loaner out from bmw and it was an 08 plate and it read it and found a couple of faults!!

The programming is not possible on the gt1 for the e60 models, older models yes but not the e60 models. For programming you need the ops or opps head and it plugs into the fibre optics port. The ops will also do the diagnostics like the gt1 but only on newer models.

The guy i bought it from offered to change the gt1 for an ops but after making some enquiries i decided to keep the gt1 and just use it for diagnosis. The reason: A WORD OF WARNING, many people have attempted to use progman and the dealers have a special charger called a deutronic, they cost over ?1000 and if you dont have a proper power supply connected to the vehicle during programming you could lose more than one ecu. Also the dealers have the most up to date programs.

The gt1 is a really good tool though for diagnostics and it can read the whole vehicle in a few minutes and takes you through any faults.

Cheers