E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CDV removal / delete / replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Looking for anyone in the Dallas / Ft.Worth who's either removed or replaced their CDV with a bored-out version.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:27 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='475692' date='Sep 29 2007, 03:28 AM
Looking for anyone in the Dallas / Ft.Worth who's either removed or replaced their CDV with a bored-out version.
I am in VA and recently removed mine when I did a SSK install. I would recommend soing both since a lot of the labor is duplicated. I bought a CDV from Zeckhausen. The install is pretty staight forward. The most time consuming part was bleeding the system which I had to do manually (peddle stroking). The Rouge SSK with WSR is a fair priced, good quality shifter and a must for any BMW manual.

good luck

al
Old 09-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by AlB' post='476078' date='Sep 30 2007, 10:27 AM
I am in VA and recently removed mine when I did a SSK install. I would recommend soing both since a lot of the labor is duplicated. I bought a CDV from Zeckhausen. The install is pretty staight forward. The most time consuming part was bleeding the system which I had to do manually (peddle stroking). The Rouge SSK with WSR is a fair priced, good quality shifter and a must for any BMW manual.

good luck

al
Hey Al,

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear you're liking the Rogue SSK / WSR. I was on the fence between Rogue and UUC (prolly a lil more on the Rogue side). Definitely two mods I need to do soon.

-frank
Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by AlB' post='476078' date='Sep 30 2007, 11:27 AM

good luck

al
Ditto to Al's comments - I have the same two mods and love them.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Hey guys, I have a 2008 535i 6-sp manual on the way and would be very interested in this mod combo. The Roque SSK sounds to be new shift linkage (shorter throw/more positive shifting)? And I'm still not quite certain what the CDV is but is it best to just remove it...or replace with a bored unit? Is the CDV a hydraulic fluid limiter of some sort? Thanks for your patience - found this thread via the search function!

thx!!

Ah ha....just saw it in pa550's sig..."Clutch Delay Valve"!! What is the orig. purpose of the CDV valve...make it smoother engagement or something?
Speaking of your sig, pa550...what benefit did you get by removing the charcoal filter?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='480306' date='Oct 11 2007, 12:36 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2008 535i 6-sp manual on the way and would be very interested in this mod combo. The Roque SSK sounds to be new shift linkage (shorter throw/more positive shifting)? And I'm still not quite certain what the CDV is but is it best to just remove it...or replace with a bored unit? Is the CDV a hydraulic fluid limiter of some sort? Thanks for your patience - found this thread via the search function!

thx!!

Ah ha....just saw it in pa550's sig..."Clutch Delay Valve"!! What is the orig. purpose of the CDV valve...make it smoother engagement or something?
Speaking of your sig, pa550...what benefit did you get by removing the charcoal filter?
Clutch delay Valve - yes like a hydraulic fluid limiter for the clutch, which is hydraulic control.

I believe the CDV was put in V-8 versions. I have been told it's purpose is to reduce the torque through the drive train if you let the clutch out rapidly during low speed maneuvers like parking. At least that is what I have been told by the guy who modifies them.

The result by installing the bored out version is smoother shifts.

I am not sure if the 535 has it. You can check by contacting Zechausen racing - the sell modified CDV's.

Although not directed at me, removing the charcoal filter increases the air flow. It is in there for emissions purposes by reducing gas vapor that could exit through the intake.

I think one of the reasons that the Dinan CAI has such an increased air flow is partially due to not having the charcoal filter.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 PM
AlB
Senior Members

[quote name='HotLap' date='Oct 11 2007, 03:36 PM' post='480306']

Try this link
http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

Dave does not list the 535 but maybe he hasn't updated his site since the 535 came out. Give him a call, he is a very informative guy about a lot of things and will gladly share info with you.

al
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by jsal' post='480420' date='Oct 11 2007, 04:48 PM
Clutch delay Valve - yes like a hydraulic fluid limiter for the clutch, which is hydraulic control.

I believe the CDV was put in V-8 versions. I have been told it's purpose is to reduce the torque through the drive train if you let the clutch out rapidly during low speed maneuvers like parking. At least that is what I have been told by the guy who modifies them.

The result by installing the bored out version is smoother shifts.

I am not sure if the 535 has it. You can check by contacting Zechausen racing - the sell modified CDV's.

Although not directed at me, removing the charcoal filter increases the air flow. It is in there for emissions purposes by reducing gas vapor that could exit through the intake.

I think one of the reasons that the Dinan CAI has such an increased air flow is partially due to not having the charcoal filter.

jsal - thanks I'll check and see if the 535 even comes with the CDV (hopefull NOT) and as for the charcoal filter, it's coming out too. Funny, when Ford come out with the current version Mustang the V8's had this same filter in the intake tube...looked kind of like trying to see through a beehive and at teh midyear point of the 1st year run (2005 model) Ford stopped using them. Aparantly, not really doing much good (emissions wise) but definitely putting a hurt on performance.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='480660' date='Oct 12 2007, 08:24 AM
jsal - thanks I'll check and see if the 535 even comes with the CDV (hopefull NOT) and as for the charcoal filter, it's coming out too. Funny, when Ford come out with the current version Mustang the V8's had this same filter in the intake tube...looked kind of like trying to see through a beehive and at teh midyear point of the 1st year run (2005 model) Ford stopped using them. Aparantly, not really doing much good (emissions wise) but definitely putting a hurt on performance.
My I6 525i has the CDV which I also installed the modified version from Zackhausen, so I would think the 535i has it too.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kchan' post='480709' date='Oct 12 2007, 10:07 AM
My I6 525i has the CDV which I also installed the modified version from Zackhausen, so I would think the 535i has it too.

Darn...thanks for the (bad) news!! I'm assuming the hydraulic line has to be opened (then bled) to change the valve...can't take it to the dealer for that...I am pretty mechanically inclined, how bad is the bleeding/purging procedure on the hudro clutch line? Perhaps not too bad as it should be a short line and hopefully have a bleeder valve at the slave (clutch end) cylinder??

Quick Reply: CDV removal / delete / replacement?