E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Be Careful with Replica Body Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='761252' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:48 PM
I bought from 4caroption.com
help?
I could only find roof spoilers and whole-body kits (your front lip was included in that, but not separately).
Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 silver gray metallic 530i with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, navigation, and L-7 audio.

I bought an ACS lip spoiler too from them. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM! I bought the lip spoiler and as mentioned before, it ended up being shipped in a box about 6 inches too short for the piece so it was sort of bent into the box. No problem, but it will require a lot of heat to shape onto the car. Then, after taking it to my body shop for paint, they prepped the surface of the spoiler by lightly scuffing it so it will accept an adhesion promoter for the paint. Its a standard process for painting polyurethane to apply an adhesion promotor. Once they started scuffing the piece, they found small cracks and areas where it was filled with a body filler and painted with a cheap black paint to match the rest of the unpainted spoiler.

I called 4caroption in california and sent it back to them (shipping which I had to pay for!). I pay $38 to ship back a $68 part. They sent me another replacement piece that had the same problems shipped in the same small ass box! I called them again telling them that when scuffing the piece to prep for paint, my shop found body filler in it. I had to argue with the guy on the phone for about 45 minutes until he offered me a FULL refund and agreed to pay for return shipping. I found out that this company buys the parts that are made in Hong Kong or Taiwan, and they simply distribute the parts out of california.

Bottom line: You get what you pay for, as stated earlier in this post. There are a lot of replica pieces, but the really inexpensive pieces are cheap for a reason. I suggest paying the little extra for the higher quality part, peace of mind, and avoid the hassle. 4caroption sucks!!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but I look forward t the pics of it installed!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Replica sux!
I though Quad_m was enough, but you still want to risk.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know of a company that can supply a good replica, painted and shipped for a good price??
Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 AM
Contributors

Well, the shop inspected the lip and said its a non issue once they slap heavy primer on it and some flexpaint sealer it'll be good to go. I won't pay $40 bucks to ship back a $68 buck part. I'll just work with this thing and put it on the car and tomorrow when its mounted I'll see the end result. I hope it looks good..

Having said that, I have learned my lesson in regards to car parts online.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='761564' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:33 AM
Well, the shop inspected the lip and said its a non issue once they slap heavy primer on it and some flexpaint sealer it'll be good to go. I won't pay $40 bucks to ship back a $68 buck part. I'll just work with this thing and put it on the car and tomorrow when its mounted I'll see the end result. I hope it looks good..

Having said that, I have learned my lesson in regards to car parts online.
Any pics yet?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by advans' post='761253' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:49 PM
the price you pay is for the quality you get
That's a ridiculous statement.

So you're telling me if this guy was charging $650 you would consider buying it?

It's possible to get cheap, quality deals. It's just as possible to overpay, for junk.

The bottom line is: research. Ask sellers questions and look up the other bidders that have previously purchased it and ask their opinion about the quality. If they're willing, have them send pics...
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Isay5' post='764183' date='Jan 10 2009, 01:24 AM
Any pics yet?

Weather has been terrible. Snow, salt, sleet, crap. Waiting for it to clear up and I'll wash it and take pics. Unless you want snow-covered-salt-infested crap shots?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='765044' date='Jan 11 2009, 11:40 AM
Weather has been terrible. Snow, salt, sleet, crap. Waiting for it to clear up and I'll wash it and take pics. Unless you want snow-covered-salt-infested crap shots?
lol. Under those conditions, I bet our cars would look identical.

Quick Reply: Be Careful with Replica Body Kits