E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Carbon hood fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon hood fitment issues

Managed to get an unused cf hood m3 style off eBay.
It doesn't appear to have any branding so guessin it's a Chinese import.
Panel gaps are not exactly great but was kind of expecting that. However none of the 3 latches line up either no matter how much I try and adjust the way it sits.
I was thinkin to remove all latches n hinges again, drilling the holes out bigger to allow more room for adjustment but even then not sure it'll help.
Anybody else experienced similar? Am I wasting my time and should I give up and stick it back on the bay for someone else to mess about with.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i bought mine from a reputable manufacturer named Seibon. fitment out the box was about 90% and i was able to adjust things to about 95% OEM fitment. im very pleased. you may have gotten a bad one man :/
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Members

Thanks Chris, I've heard of seibon but they're not popular here in uk. Everything I've managed to find has been unbranded stuff.
How did you adjust yours for fit? I mean did you have to largen the bolt holes on anything? Like my front centre catch sits about a half inch away from the latch in the landing panel and that's after I've adjusted it all the forward!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Members

Sorry to butt in but I have a question for both you gentlemen. Are the vents carbon fiber as well or some type of matte black insert? Very curious because I want the carbon fiber vent look but not the carbon hood.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Members

Anybobdy!?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Chief Holley
Sorry to butt in but I have a question for both you gentlemen. Are the vents carbon fiber as well or some type of matte black insert? Very curious because I want the carbon fiber vent look but not the carbon hood.
On the Siebon M3 style hood, yes, the vents are carbon fiber as well. In fact, while they appear to be inserts, they are actually part of the hood, so yes - the entire hood is CF. I am having mine painted this week and everything but the vents will be painted - that way there is still some carbon fiber showing.

I got mine from Michael @ AcutePerformance - he's a member here, with great feedback, hit him up. He does ship international.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

yep! great fitment to me personally no real modification needed to get it to fit. and it installs using your oem hardware.

word to the wise....replace those chicken wire mesh grill inserts with OEM M3 mesh....its like $90 or something but trust me its the only way to go...
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

+1 on michael....great guy to do business with...
Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Members

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I was hoping that they were CF so I wasn't paying for a CF hood with matte inserts. I have not seen the hood in person, do any of you have some close up shots of yours? Where is the chicken wire exactly?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Members

Yep mine is also cf vents, they look seperate but are part of the hood itself. Anyway after plenty messin about mine is just crap fitment and falls short of the wings on both sides. Ill be removing it shortly once weather gets a bit better and sellin it on.

Quick Reply: Carbon hood fitment issues