E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Car PC

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 2005 530d sport auto. Titaniun. Black Dakota. Tints. Biz nav. Bi zennon. Heated front. 6disk. heated electric autodim. Phonne prep.

Hi Everyone
I was reading an old topic about using a mac mini in our cars, this got me thinking that I haven't read about anyone using PC. I installed a via epia based pc in my previous car( E39.) I used Via epia M2 mainboard in a Travla case, 200gig HD, And mobile power stabaliser and controler with two Lilliput 7" monitors running windowsXP. The computer was used to run Navigator 4 Car PC for navigation(with gps antenna), Power DVD for movies and Media player for music. I wired it up so that there was a three position switch instaled in the cobby hole below right of the steering wheel giving on continuous, on/off with ignition or off, an FM modulator provided sound throgh the audio system. The computer was instaled in the boot above the battery as was the mobile power supply along with a relay to provide a seperate 12V, switched with the PC for the monitors. althugh the monitors are touch screen I found it easier to use a small ball mouse to controle everything. Power was taken direclly from the battery suitably fused.
I plan to install this setup into my new E60 in the near future using the 2 monitors in the back and to use the I screen in the front in the neer future. ( I have been compiling details redy for the instalation thanks to tips for instalation of other devises on E60 net)
A car PC is an entiery feasable proposition, and a good big HD allows a vast movie library (Divx compressed) and almost unlimited MP3s there is also the posibility of games for the rugrats in the back (or you could install a keyboard and dictate your mail to your wife/secretary while on long jorneys!) anything that you can do on a pc you can do in the car.
I think I will install the eppia board into a Voom case for the install into the E60 and have a dvd rom drive in the rear armrest via usb (so the kids can load thair games).
If any wants any inf/ or help please PM me I will try my best.

Bits available from: Mini ITX .com, Lin ITX .com. and minibox in the USA.

Have a go have fun.

Larry (G4ODP)
Old 05-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Take a look at TurboDman's computer install here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...indpost&p=53246

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...album&album=418

I think he was the first to do a PC "carputer"...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 2005 530d sport auto. Titaniun. Black Dakota. Tints. Biz nav. Bi zennon. Heated front. 6disk. heated electric autodim. Phonne prep.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='281564' date='May 12 2006, 10:52 AM
Take a look at TurboDman's computer install here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...indpost&p=53246

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...album&album=418

I think he was the first to do a PC "carputer"...
Thanks Rudy, I missed that contribution, that's a verry long thread and of corse dedicated to aux input (install which is very usefull info) TurboDmans pc instalation is very nice and deserves credit. I don't know how many e60 carputer bufs are out there if thre are a few of us, mabe we can all benefit form an exchange of ideas and experience. So mabe a carputer thread can be usefull.
Cheers rudy, thanks again