E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

In-car internet for E60

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Smart kit follows BMW Online and allows access to the whole Web

Motorists will soon be able to go online when they're on the road ? without even using a laptop!

That's because BMW is about to introduce new software that lets drivers surf the Internet using the firm's in-car display instead.

The kit was unveiled at this week's Geneva Motor Show, and is based on the BMW Online system launched last year. This allowed owners to use the Google search engine in their car.

However, the new device will provide unrestricted access to the Net via the vehicle's clever iDrive control system, which will act like a conventional computer mouse.

Drivers who specify this option can use it to select a URL from a list of stored favourites to access the web page they want. The kit will only work when the car is stationary, unless it is built into the headrests in the back for passengers to use on the move. It will be offered as an optional extra later this year.

The German marque has also unveiled new limited-run trims for the 5-Series. Its Exclusive Edition boasts platinum bronze metallic paint, chrome trim, 17-inch alloy wheels and a wood-trimmed interior. The Lifestyle Edition features satin-finished chrome and a lighter interior, plus a mixture of leather and reflex cloth and neptune blue paint. Finally, there's the Sport Edition, which will come with sport suspension and a bodykit.
Attached Thumbnails In-car internet for E60-car_photo_247641_25.jpg  
Old 03-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

i want!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Thank God the car has to be immobile to operate the front screen , can you imagine ?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I wonder if E60.net comes as one of the standard "Favorites" for your bookmarks?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='541849' date='Mar 9 2008, 10:21 AM
I wonder if E60.net comes as one of the standard "Favorites" for your bookmarks?
Come on Photoshop experts, let's see what that pic would look like with the E60 forums displayed...
Old 03-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Problem is for something that introduced in Europe and not to put in on 3G is rather pointless. Besides you can only surf while the car is stationery. It uses EDGE so before my page loads, the lights will have changed.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Not to hijack the thread, but what do those in the US think of this solution. Autonet Mobile. It basically turns your car into a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot. It works with any Wi-Fi enabled device, is easy to install, and can be easily moved to another car in the future. Here is a blurb from their web site:

"Autonet Mobile is a Wireless Internet Service Provider designed to maintain internet connectivity within the car. Our solution turns the car into a WiFi hotspot, allowing multiple passengers to connect their own WiFi gadgets to the internet at the same time. We run over both 3G and 2.5G (EVDO, 1xRTT) cellular Data networks giving you the most nationwide coverage."

I'm doing some unscientific research on this (for work), so how much would you be willing to pay to have this installed in your car? (both up front cost and per month cost with unlimited useage?). Thanks.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='542073' date='Mar 9 2008, 07:56 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but what do those in the US think of this solution. Autonet Mobile. It basically turns your car into a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot. It works with any Wi-Fi enabled device, is easy to install, and can be easily moved to another car in the future. Here is a blurb from their web site:

"Autonet Mobile is a Wireless Internet Service Provider designed to maintain internet connectivity within the car. Our solution turns the car into a WiFi hotspot, allowing multiple passengers to connect their own WiFi gadgets to the internet at the same time. We run over both 3G and 2.5G (EVDO, 1xRTT) cellular Data networks giving you the most nationwide coverage."

I'm doing some unscientific research on this (for work), so how much would you be willing to pay to have this installed in your car? (both up front cost and per month cost with unlimited useage?). Thanks.
I like the concept but, at least for me, I wouldn't have a ton of use for it in the car.

If I needed it, I wouldn't pay much at all for installation because it really seems as if it could be something that is contained in "one box" that could be plugged into a 12VDC outlet and stuffed away somewhere (like in the trunk, etc.) I imagine an external antenna (for the cellular network) could be needed but it should be simple to install as a DIY (like some of the aftermarket satellite radio antennas, etc.)

So, to answer your question, I'd say the installation should be like $50 bucks or less (and optional) and the cellular service should be nothing more than the going rate for an unlimited data plan through whatever carrier is used (in other words, no "marked-up" subscription rates from Autonet...)
Old 03-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='541857' date='Mar 9 2008, 07:33 AM
Come on Photoshop experts, let's see what that pic would look like with the E60 forums displayed...
Like this?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GoRovers' post='542161' date='Mar 9 2008, 11:24 PM
Like this?
Pretty much...

Quick Reply: In-car internet for E60