E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Can the Idrive read an external HD

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say forget the IPOD. Anyone have any clue if it would be possible to hook an external hard drive to the Idrive system. Using the idrives computer to read the drive to play MP3's
Old 04-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Great idea but AFAIK - no
Old 04-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 Boxster, 02 IS-300, 03 MDX

Doesnt the I-Drive use Windows CE?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PeterJoyce' date='Apr 19 2005, 07:35 PM
Doesnt the I-Drive use Windows CE?
[snapback]117348[/snapback]
Here you go just dug it up

REDMOND, Wash. -- March 4, 2002 -- Microsoft Corp. today announced that the BMW 7 Series, the line of cars introduced last month in the United States, features Microsoft?s robust, real-time embedded operating system, Windows? CE. This announcement comes shortly after Microsoft?s Automotive Business Unit launched Windows CE for Automotive v3.5, the newest version of its telematics software platform based on Windows CE, and announced an end-to-end solution to enable the auto industry to cost-effectively implement and maintain advanced automotive telematics.

Siemens VDO Automotive AG, the preferred navigation supplier of BMW, is using the Microsoft? Windows CE operating system in the Control Display, which is part of the innovative BMW iDrive concept. Microsoft?s technology is available to BMW motorists worldwide, delivering an advanced in-car computing experience.

"When we heard about BMW?s telematics vision, we knew the exceptional quality in Microsoft technology would fit hand-in-hand," said Bob McKenzie, general manager of Microsoft?s Automotive Business Unit. "The iDrive concept is a unique one, and we?re proud to power the graphical user interface in the Control Display."

The iDrive concept and the Control Display enable easy operation of, and convenient access to, the myriad of features at the driver?s disposal, including the navigation, telephone, climate control and entertainment systems. This presents a bold new concept for interaction between the driver and automobile. The BMW 7 Series was launched in Germany in fall 2001. It is now available in North America and will be available in other markets this spring.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:10 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

This is not the first time but...

Isn't the 1,3,5,6-series Java-powered?? I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bushmaster' date='Apr 19 2005, 05:03 PM
I say forget the IPOD. Anyone have any clue if it would be possible to hook an external hard drive to the Idrive system. Using the idrives computer to read the drive to play MP3's
[snapback]117279[/snapback]
Anybody have any information on this for the new 5 series. here is the link check it out. This could be the IPOD killer for BMW installs.

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalm...players/bmw.php

The BMW compatible PhatBox works with select original 1996-2003 BMW car stereos (see below). It installs in the same location as a CD changer and provides hundreds of hours of audio entertainment. This Phatbox uses the SSA/Voice interface. For a general introduction, see the PhatBox Overview.

Sale! $859.00 On Sale $799

DMS size: 20GB 40GB (+89) 60GB (+179) 80GB (+264)

? Plays MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, and Audible formats
? SSA/ Voice interface (No text displayed)
? 20 gig DMS cartridge (holds roughly 400 CDs worth of music)
? Hooks to the car stereo using a single cable
? Installs with 4 self-tapping screws
? Lightning fast USB 2.0 cradle (USB 2.0 transfer speeds only available on computers that feature USB 2.0 hardware)
? NOTE: This PhatBox replaces the CD changer in the car. Both may not be installed at once.
BMW compatible PhatBox

20gig DMS Cartridge

USB 2.0 Desktop Cradle
with power cable

PhatNoise Music Manager Software

PhatNoise CD Manager Software

PhatBox to car stereo cable (length & plug will vary depending on setup)

?E36 3 Series (1996-1999)
?E46 3 Series (1999-2004)
?E39 5 Series (1997-2003)
?E38 7 Series w/I-Bus CDChanger (1998-2001)
?E53 X Series (2000-2004)
?X3 (2004-2005)
?Z3 / Z3 Coupe (1996-2002)
?E85 Z4 (2004)
*Some 5, 7, and X series with the DSP option require a DSP kit (below). Please check with a professional installer to make absolutely sure you need the DSP adapter before buying one. PhatNoise strongly recommends professional installation for the DSP Kit. PhatNoise does not provide customer support for owner-installations of the DSP Kit

Looking for Mini Cooper compatibility?

If you can't find your stereo please consider a Kenwood Music Keg Solution, or adding your name to our Priority Mailing List, and we?ll let you know when new stereo compatibility is available.

?How SSA works on an BMW stereo
( 326kb)
?User's Manual ( 2.38meg)
?SSA/Voice glove box card ( 266kb)
?DSP document ( 549kb)
?Warranty

DSP Kit - required for some 5-Series with DSP option. See compatibility above. $99

Add an extra cradle for home or work $79
Old 04-20-2005, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, bushmaster !
Old 04-20-2005, 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

Originally Posted by bushmaster' date='Apr 20 2005, 06:50 AM
Anybody have any information on this for the new 5 series. here is the link check it out. This could be the IPOD killer for BMW installs.

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalm...players/bmw.php
?
[snapback]117432[/snapback]

A friend of mine has a Phatnoise in his Audi TT. Works nice with his Audi concert radio. very well integrated but hey it is not as cool as an iPod
Old 04-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Phatnoze is phat Ipod is cool

Archos rulez

I have a 20Gb mp3 it is cool and you can take it with you...

but this is awesome...

http://www.archos.com/products/overview/pm...2bysj3kcb4of2oj

I order my bimmer in May and with L7 and aux-in -I got as offer.-)
Old 04-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ats77' date='Apr 20 2005, 09:27 AM
Phatnoze is phat Ipod is cool

Archos rulez

I have a 20Gb mp3 it is cool and you can take it with you...

but this is awesome...

http://www.archos.com/products/overview/pm...2bysj3kcb4of2oj

I order my bimmer in May and with L7 and aux-in -I got as offer.-)
[snapback]117633[/snapback]
WOW

but I think I like this better

The ARCHOS Pocket Video Recorder AV400 Series is the ultimate handheld digital video recorder that offers TV recording and a portable home entertainment center in one pocket-sized device.

The AV400 experience starts in the living room where you can record TV shows and movies directly from a TV, VCR, or cable / satellite receiver with a convenient one-time set-up TV Cradle.

But entertainment enjoyment goes far beyond the living room. When on the go, you can watch videos and view photos on the large color LCD screen, listen to and record music, transfer photos from your digital camera and data files from your PC.

Record up to 400 hours* of TV programs and video content from a TV, VCR or cable / satellite receiver using the TV cradle
Program recordings using the Recording Scheduler, which directly controls the VCR or set-top box tuner
Store and watch between up to 200* full-length movies
Enjoy up to 4 ? hours of video playback on the color LCD while on the go
Download / transfer / record between up to 1500* hours of music
Store and view up to one million* JPEG photos
Play MP3, WMA (including protected files) and WAV music files
Listen to and record off the radio (with optional FM Radio & Remote Control)
Download and store files from a PC

Quick Reply: Can the Idrive read an external HD