E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

can it be done, retrofit window switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

I want a auto folding button in the inside of the car for my m5 mirrors and the question is, can i change the window switch from this

to that or one similar to mine this fits the trim?

Will it work, would it need coding, or it won't work?

Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

yes people have done it here is a video although i never see this guy on the forum anymore, i was looking into doing the m5 mirror mod but i found it to be to costly and i never found out for sure if i can get them to auto fold in my 04 without the switch pack. I don't see the point if i can't activate it with my key any way this thread might be helpful to you as well. Ive already pre coded my car to autofold so all i gotta do is buy the mirrors and install them and try it if it doesn't work just sell them and if it does horray!! but i kinda lost the fire for it when i couldn't find out for sure if it would work.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/113...hl__m5+mirrors

Old 06-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Probably could be done but sounds like a pain in the ass. Might cost you a pretty penny
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

I have m5 mirrors just get it coded n you can fold n unfold with keyfob..hope this helps
Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

but say your parking and you want to fold your mirror in so you don't hit a poll or other car mirror, can you fold them with the fob key while still moving?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

you need coding to get the mirrors to fold, with or without the switch panel.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

but what i am asking about the FOB key being program, can you still fold your mirrors while your car is in motion example: reversing?
Old 06-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

I doubt it cause you can't roll up or down your windows while the key is in or even open up your trunk or lock your car so I'm guessing no
Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

so why can't you just take the old one out and put in the new one? they both have the same connectors on the back.

It's only $98 to buy the panel shipped

Here is a listing with one without the window side mirror folding button which is the same that I have in my car, but different color

http://www.ebay.com/...dec2f47&vxp=mtr

and here is listing with one that has a folding mirror switch. They both have the same rear connectors.

http://www.auctiva.c...,0,0,0&format=0
Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The connector is the same no matter what functions the switch panel has. All functions are done over a single wire LIN Bus.

But the issue is not able to button being there or not, its about the car/mirrors being able to understand a function and reacting to it. You can add the switch, the switch will send the fold signal but the mirrors will not do anything until its told to do something with that command. Thats where the programming comes in. There is very little that can be retrofitted without programming.

Quick Reply: can it be done, retrofit window switch