E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Caliper Paint in BMW Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:41 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535i
Default Caliper Paint in BMW Blue?

I think I want to paint my calipers the same color as the BMW emblem blue (Bavarian Blue?). Does anyone have any experience doing this and know where i can get the paint from?

I was looking at the Duplicolor Caliper Paining Kit in Blue online, just not sure if its the right shade.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Probably not but you should ensure you get the correct paint for the calipers regardless of color. There is. Blue, red, yellow and black I know. I'm sure there re more colors though.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:00 PM
New Members

Yeah..I know these things can heat up and take a beating. Haven't been to the local Auto Zone in years, I believe they carry the Duplicolor paint. I can check the shade in person, was just curious if anyone found it elsewhere in a better matching shade with a different supplier.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If you don't see the color, ask them maybe they can order it, but I doubt the shade will be what you are looking for, perhaps close though... I remember seeing somewhere online where a very large choice of colors were available, I just can't remember where...
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 550i Black/Sand. Dinan free flow intake, throttle body, carbon fiber strut brace, and exhaust. Carbon fiber engine cover. Blend mount for a Belltronics RD w/mirror tap. Smoke LED taillights. Projector fog-lites w/HID kit.

Theres two ways to do this, like everything. The right way is to pull the calipers, have them cleaned, and then powder coated to the color of your choosing. The wrong way is pretty much anything else. With that being said, the right way in this case is a pain in the ass. Rattle canning all too often looks good for a short time, however, down the road a bit after some flaking or some other happenstance, youre left with something worse than what you started with. An added plus to an ultra smooth gloss powder coat is that brake dust is easily removed with a power washer, and very chemical resistant, even to brake fluid. Keep in mind too, the paint job with any paint is only as good as the prep work. Having the calipers soda blasted with a low abrasive jet removes everything and leaves a perfectly etched surface for paint adherence. Powder coating should run about $50 per caliper, and having them soda blasted shouldn't be more than $100. The investment is more in vehicle down time than anything else.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Members

I've seen limited colors in caliper specific paint, so I would recommend looking at hight temp header paint, as it should have no problems standing up to brake temps, and will be available in more colors!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

You can use any high temp engine paint. I painted mine the emblem blue
Old 04-22-2013, 05:27 PM
New Members

SD5Series...Your post about this last year sometime is what got me thinking about doing them in that color. How about a picture of the results?

I really don't plan on taking them off, but can take the time to clean them as good as necessary.for adhesion and plan on doing many coats for a smooth finish. I was hoping to find something to brush on. What did you end up using?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

i would use rustoleum brush on paint. i used a foam brush to apply it (sounds weird, but it actually comes out really nice once it dries). the durability is shocking on it, i personally think it comes out better than spraying, and less things to mask off/overspray. available at home depot for about 10 bucks a quart (and you will only use a fraction of it). maybe you can get a blue and mix a little white to get the shade you want.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM
New Members

A while back I painted the calipers on my acura with red high temp paint. I didnt want to deal with masking and spraying, so I actually sprayed paint into a plastic cup and then painted it on with a brush. I did a few coats and it actually held up pretty well. I sold the car about 3 years later, and the paint never peeled or flaked off.