E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cable performance show

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005 | 08:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Two weeks ago, I had to have my gall bladder removed, fairly unexpectedly. While I was recovering (and taking Vicodin BTW) I was channel surfing and ran across a performance show. The show described how to increase horsepower on a new Ford Mustang GT. They showed the original spec horsepower and set a goal of increasing it by about 70Hp with the car hooked to a dyno something or other.

They used several methods, but the biggest jump was simply from reprogramming the engine settings. They hooked a small electronic device to a pin connector under the dash and the device reprogrammed the engine. They got an extra 45-50HP just by doing this off of a starting base of around 325 I believe.

Has anyone tried anything similar with their E60? I'm assuming this isn't used too often because (1) it could void the warranty, (2) it could wreak havoc on the software which appears to be tempermental to start with, (3) BMW appears to make some HP improvements in its upgrades anyway and (4) gas mileage is probably compromised.

I'm curious to know what types of engining reprogramming folks have tried and to what extent this can be done in a manner that a BMW service tech would support.
Old 06-22-2005 | 08:41 AM
Contributors

From: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Jun 22 2005, 11:17 AM
Two weeks ago, I had to have my gall bladder removed, fairly unexpectedly.? While I was recovering (and taking Vicodin BTW) I was channel surfing and ran across a performance show.? The show described how to increase horsepower on a new Ford Mustang GT.? They showed the original spec horsepower and set a goal of increasing it by about 70Hp with the car hooked to a dyno something or other.?

They used several methods, but the biggest jump was simply from reprogramming the engine settings.? They hooked a small electronic device to a pin connector under the dash and the device reprogrammed the engine.? They got an extra 45-50HP just by doing this off of a starting base of around 325 I believe.?

Has anyone tried anything similar with their E60?? I'm assuming this isn't used too often because (1) it could void the warranty, (2) it could wreak havoc on the software which appears to be tempermental to start with,? (3) BMW appears to make some HP improvements in its upgrades anyway and (4) gas mileage is probably compromised.

I'm curious to know what types of engining reprogramming folks have tried and to what extent this can be done in a manner that a BMW service tech would support.
[snapback]141975[/snapback]
Please donate your un-used Vicodin to:

Vicodin Recycle Services
Attn: Niktee
Thank you!
Old 06-22-2005 | 08:47 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

ECU programming on normally aspirated engines rarely produces more than a few percent power increase. Was the Mustang supercharged? Decent increases on turbo and supercharged engines can be had with chipping (primarily by increasing boost). In all cases you do risk voiding your warranty, and the way the E60 seems to constantly have software updates, the programming would likely be wiped out by (or, worse, conflict with) the next update installed by the dealer.
Old 06-22-2005 | 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

If u go search for chipping or chip tuning you should find some treads on various petrol chip tuning venders. Some 8-10% increases claimed. Also an outboard system that alex.br (in Brasil) is very happy with. I believe that vender is a South African company. Don't confuse this with the much higher percentage gains the diesels are getting. As noted elsewhere they are also playing with turbos and are quite successful in getting 15-20 percent gains.
Old 06-22-2005 | 10:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:47 AM
ECU programming on normally aspirated engines rarely produces more than a few percent power increase.? Was the Mustang supercharged?? Decent increases on turbo and supercharged engines can be had with chipping (primarily by increasing boost).? In all cases you do risk voiding your warranty, and the way the E60 seems to constantly have software updates, the programming would likely be wiped out by (or, worse, conflict with) the next update installed by the dealer.
[snapback]141984[/snapback]

I believe the mustang was supercharged because after the "chipping" they made some changes to the supercharger pulley size to get another 5% boost... Thanks I'll look for the other threads on chipping. I guess I was curious to know to what extent BMW engines are already tuned to the max via the software upgrades. I was guessing that US made engines probably aren't tuned nearly as well, so they would benefit to a larger extent from chipping.
Old 06-22-2005 | 10:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by niktee' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:41 AM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Jun 22 2005, 11:17 AM']Two weeks ago, I had to have my gall bladder removed, fairly unexpectedly.?? While I was recovering (and taking Vicodin BTW) I was channel surfing and ran across a performance show.?? The show described how to increase horsepower on a new Ford Mustang GT.?? They showed the original spec horsepower and set a goal of increasing it by about 70Hp with the car hooked to a dyno something or other.??

They used several methods, but the biggest jump was simply from reprogramming the engine settings.?? They hooked a small electronic device to a pin connector under the dash and the device reprogrammed the engine.?? They got an extra 45-50HP just by doing this off of a starting base of around 325 I believe.??

Has anyone tried anything similar with their E60?? I'm assuming this isn't used too often because (1) it could void the warranty, (2) it could wreak havoc on the software which appears to be tempermental to start with,? (3) BMW appears to make some HP improvements in its upgrades anyway and (4) gas mileage is probably compromised.

[snapback]141975[/snapback]
Please donate your un-used Vicodin to:

Vicodin Recycle Services
Attn: Niktee
Thank you!
[snapback]141981[/snapback]
[/quote]

What you really want is the left over Percocet I used during my legionnaires episode last summer. (After never even having the flu in the last 10 years, I've had some major health issues this year. Figured I'd better get the BMW before I finally kick.)
Old 06-22-2005 | 02:09 PM
Senior Members

hope you fell better soon, zinme .
Old 06-23-2005 | 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jun 22 2005, 02:09 PM
hope you fell better soon, zinme .
[snapback]142107[/snapback]
I need to relocate to Hawaii for health reasons, don't you think?
Old 06-23-2005 | 08:26 AM
Contributors

From: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Jun 23 2005, 11:59 AM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Jun 22 2005, 02:09 PM']hope you fell better soon, zinme .
[snapback]142417[/snapback]
[/quote]

Keep your chin up- you've already had 2 out of the four basic narcotic pain-relief groups. There's always tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2005 | 10:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by niktee' date='Jun 23 2005, 08:26 AM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Jun 23 2005, 11:59 AM'][quote name='alohalc' date='Jun 22 2005, 02:09 PM']hope you fell better soon, zinme .
[snapback]142417[/snapback]
[/quote]

Keep your chin up- you've already had 2 out of the four basic narcotic pain-relief groups. There's always tomorrow.
[snapback]142424[/snapback]
[/quote]

Do tell, what are the other two?

Quick Reply: Cable performance show