E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Busy weekend..... Can you hear me now? LOL!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009 | 04:49 AM
Members

The components are PSD210's which are the 4" driver along with 1" tweeter and will go in the front door. If they sound like I hope they do, I'll buy another set for the rear deck. I know they will not drop right in but making them work should not be an issue IMO. I looked at the drop-in alternatives but couldn't justify the cost; again that's just my opinion. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2009 | 09:06 AM
Contributors

nice, I'm thinking of getting 10" JL Audio, and Alpine amp, I would like to keep it very simple...
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:03 AM
Senior Members

It's amaizing what some of you guys can do with your cars.
I'm impressed !!

Nice job on both mods, but your sterio mod blows me away.

/hats off to you
Old 02-23-2009 | 11:12 AM
Members

Thanks for the compliment. This was a very easy install I thought. Worse part was working in the garage (no heat) with weather around 10 degrees and snow falling...... I need a new heater, LOL......
Old 02-23-2009 | 09:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 Audi S4

cool setup! much better than what i did with mine lol
Old 02-24-2009 | 12:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Originally Posted by tom281' post='798942' date='Feb 22 2009, 10:19 PM
Well it's been a busy couple of days. I set out to install a better audio system and wanted a different exhaust note....... and after some work in the garage I'm pretty happy.

For the audio system I wanted something louder and with more low end than the factory stuff. That said, I purchased an MTX REQ5 processor and Alpine PDX5 amplifier, and I already had a subwoofer box with a pair of 12" Rockford Fosgate subs. Since the PDX5 has no remote bass control I also purchased a remote mount line level controller. I am using the REQ5 to convert the speaker level signal to low level, and the PDX5 (5 channel) to drive the front door speakers at 75w each door, the in-floor factory subs with 75w per side, and the 12" subs with 300w single channel. The test slip that came with the amp shows 124X4 & 422X1 actual power at 14v. I won't get into much details as far as the install, but here are some pix. If anyone has any questions regarding the install, let me know.

Main power wire connection at battery and customary fuse/holder:

At this point, my wife freaked out......

Tapping into the front speaker wires, to 1) feed the front input on the REQ5 and 2) use the factory speaker wires through the doors to power the doors off of the PDX5.
WOW! Nice work! I have to admit though, when I read that top paragraph I thought I was in science class and my brain began to smoke. I guess I am stereo ignorant. It looks great!
Old 02-24-2009 | 12:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

[quote name='tom281' date='Feb 22 2009, 10:19 PM' post='798942']
Well it's been a busy couple of days. I set out to install a better audio system and wanted a different exhaust note....... and after some work in the garage I'm pretty happy.

For the audio system I wanted something louder and with more low end than the factory stuff. That said, I purchased an MTX REQ5 processor and Alpine PDX5 amplifier, and I already had a subwoofer box
Old 02-24-2009 | 06:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

wow, you are brave. and, obviously know what you are doing. Good Job, I wish I could hear it in person. How much better than OEM? Did you have the logic 7 system to start with?
Old 02-24-2009 | 06:15 PM
Members

No L7, just the basic 10 speaker system. It sounds significantly enhanced now, will be even better after this weekend when I get the MB Quarts into the doors and the Earthquake subs into the in-floor enclosures. What I wanted from this upgrade in totality was:

1) a little bit more overall volume, just for when I need it or feel like it

2) enhanced low-end extension, especially useful when listening to live recordings

3) better overall tonal quality compared to the factory BMW system

Thanks,

Tom
Old 02-27-2009 | 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i, Full M-Tech kit, CF Hamann front lip, M5 trunk lid, 20" iForged swift, LCI Tail Lights, Remus Quad Exhaust.

Man I wouldn't have the nerves to attempt doing that to my car. I'm planning on getting a sub installed in my car too, but can't do it myself so can anyone recommend a SoCal Shop that will do a nice job with installing the subwoofer and amp?

Quick Reply: Busy weekend..... Can you hear me now? LOL!