E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bumps stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

As described on the description, I recently lowered my car. After 2 days of driving with a new suspension, I noticed creaking noise coming from the right rear deck. Upon investigation, I found out the right rear shocks went thru the tower and hitting the rear deck. I am surprise, and pissed. My mechanic can't expalin what happened. He will look into it on Tuesday. Can't stop thinking about how this thing happened. I checked out the old set up and found out that my mechanic did not put in the BUMP STOPS and a supporting cup(big washer). My question is, do I need the BUMPS STOP or can I just leave them off. Definetely the supporting cup(big washer) need to be put in. I need your feedback on this.
Thanks,
AL
Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='867342' date='May 3 2009, 09:15 PM
As described on the description, I recently lowered my car. After 2 days of driving with a new suspension, I noticed creaking noise coming from the right rear deck. Upon investigation, I found out the right rear shocks went thru the tower and hitting the rear deck. I am surprise, and pissed. My mechanic can't expalin what happened. He will look into it on Tuesday. Can't stop thinking about how this thing happened. I checked out the old set up and found out that my mechanic did not put in the BUMP STOPS and a supporting cup(big washer) on top of it. My question is, do I need the BUMPS STOP or can I just leave them off. Definetely the supporting cup(big washer) need to be put in. I need your feedback on this. Thanks,
AL

yeah you need bumpstops, your mechanic missed a critical part. I wouldnt drive it unless its to him at this point
Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='867346' date='May 3 2009, 11:18 PM
yeah you need bumpstops, your mechanic missed a critical part. I wouldnt drive it unless its to him at this point
Do I need to cut them short or leave it as it is. If I need to cut them, how much, will I need to leave?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='867350' date='May 3 2009, 09:21 PM
Do I need to cut them short or leave it as it is. If I need to cut them, how much, will I need to leave?

leave them as is

that is generally not something you should cut or even touch, many people report problems when they dick with bumpstops, DrLev99 experience a terrible ride because he did that
Old 05-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='867355' date='May 3 2009, 11:24 PM
leave them as is

that is generally not something you should cut or even touch, many people report problems when they dick with bumpstops, DrLev99 experience a terrible ride because he did that
thanks, appreciate the help
Old 05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='867355' date='May 4 2009, 12:24 AM
DrLev99 experienced a terrible ride because he did that
No, I didn't. Everyone must have read my old thread wrong because the story changes every time my old car gets referenced. The bad ride on my old car was due to sitting on the stops PRIOR to cutting them. Once I cut them, all was fine, aside from the harsh ride that came with the H&R springs. I've said it a million times....you can't drop a car over an inch and expect to not be sitting on the stops, considering that the PRE-drop strut travel on BMW's is anywhere from 1/2" to slightly over an inch.

My guess is that a large majority of folks who have dropped their cars on just springs ARE sitting on the stops, and they just don't realize it.

Do you need stops? well, look what happened without them? I think you answered your own question. They are your last line of defense when you hit a large bump or expansion joint.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='867366' date='May 3 2009, 11:35 PM
No, I didn't. Everyone must have read my old thread wrong because the story changes every time my old car gets referenced. The ride on my old car was due to sitting on the stops PRIOR to cutting them. Once I cut them, all was fine, aside from the harsh ride that came with the H&R springs. I've said it a million times....you can't drop a car over an inch and expect to not be sitting on the stops, considering that the PRE-drop strut travel on BMW's is anywhere from 1/2" to slightly over an inch.

My guess is that a large majority of folks who have dropped their cars on just springs ARE sitting on the stops, and they just don't realize it.

Do you need stops? well, look what happened without them? I think you answered your own question. They are your last line of defense when you hit a large bump or expansion joint.
Thamks for clearing that up. Looking at the diagram from from real oem parts, I beliewve the cause of my rear shocks shooting thru the tower is because of the Support Cup that was failed to be put back on the set up. Going back to the BUMP STOP question, do I still need to cut them even with Bilstein Sports shocks?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='867376' date='May 4 2009, 12:45 AM
Thamks for clearing that up. Looking at the diagram from from real oem parts, I beliewve the cause of my rear shocks shooting thru the tower is because of the Support Cup that was failed to be put back on the set up. Going back to the BUMP STOP question, do I still need to cut them even with Bilstein Sports shocks?
It's very hard to know....

Your new shocks may have a different travel clearance, design, etc...than the OEM ones. The only way you might be able to know is to put them on WITH them and then figure it out by checking underneath. It's easier to cut them afterward than to cut them first and realize you didn't need to after it's all installed.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

doesn't bump stops prevent shocks from bottoming out?

i thought the reason why they are there is so (1) your shocks dont get smashed up and (2) to prevent the shock from going through the top mount.

correct me if i'm wrong here.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='867422' date='May 4 2009, 01:59 AM
doesn't bump stops prevent shocks from bottoming out?

i thought the reason why they are there is so (1) your shocks dont get smashed up and (2) to prevent the shock from going through the top mount.

correct me if i'm wrong here.
Thats what I thought?

Quick Reply: Bumps stop