E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Budget brand tyres

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525d SE

Hi all

I know BMW use Continental Sport Runflats here in the UK, but with most of us feeling the pinch of this global recession, have e60 owners tried "budget brands" that they are willing to recommend OR indeed warn the forum about brands to "steer" clear from...(pardon the pun).

I have changed my tyres to a budget brand on a personal recommendation. I have staggered (245/18/35 front and 275/18/40 rear) Nankangs non-run flats all-weather tryes (premium chinese brand) that I can honestly say they are just as good as the Continental sports (non-runflat)....and with a much better wear rate (still good after 30000 miles with at least 5-6mm left). I bought 4 new Nankang tyres on-line (mytyre.com) for around ?350.00....at a huge cost saving over Continental tyres....?950.00.

What do the rest of us use?

Regards

Kaz
Old 07-17-2009, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I have Pirelli's.

I think the word "budget" is a relative term in this case since I haven't seen any brand new tires for these cars go for less than $150 each.

Word of mouth and customer reviews are the best way to get an understanding of how good/bad a tire performs.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='944866' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:49 AM
I have Pirelli's.

I think the word "budget" is a relative term in this case since I haven't seen any brand new tires for these cars go for less than $150 each.

Word of mouth and customer reviews are the best way to get an understanding of how good/bad a tire performs.
Even tire grade specifications http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp provided by the tire manufacturer can be misleading since the real-world seems to be different than the laboratory. As for "price" and budget, I feel the critical approach is to fit tires that, AT A MINIMUM, match or exceed the capability of the specific automobile with regard to load and speed ratings. And, there are new tire brands popping up - many from the PacRim (e.g. China) that appear to offer huge price savings. Car and Driver http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...omparison_tests recently reported on one in the comparo test for well under $150 ... but I would never put it on my e60!

As for word of mouth and customer reviews ... helpful YES ... but the consummate source for good data NO ... I'd add a collection of intel from respected car-specific tech mags and yes, even Consumer Union Reports. That trio of sources would be more balanced - then it's still buyer-beware - The MARKETING GUYS pushing the ads are often paid more than the engineers who design the tires!!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 520i SE, 04, 18" 245s, Sapphire Black, Cream leather.

Originally Posted by khoratfarooq' post='944859' date='Jul 17 2009, 07:38 AM
Hi all

I know BMW use Continental Sport Runflats here in the UK, but with most of us feeling the pinch of this global recession, have e60 owners tried "budget brands" that they are willing to recommend OR indeed warn the forum about brands to "steer" clear from...(pardon the pun).

I have changed my tyres to a budget brand on a personal recommendation. I have staggered (245/18/35 front and 275/18/40 rear) Nankangs non-run flats all-weather tryes (premium chinese brand) that I can honestly say they are just as good as the Continental sports (non-runflat)....and with a much better wear rate (still good after 30000 miles with at least 5-6mm left). I bought 4 new Nankang tyres on-line (mytyre.com) for around ?350.00....at a huge cost saving over Continental tyres....?950.00.

What do the rest of us use?

Regards

Kaz

I had Nankangs on a Porsche for 4 years and they lasted well and I found them to be a great tyre.
If they are certified to travel a certain speed and they last well and stop you when you want then thats all that matters.
Too much emphasis is on brands these days.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

You get what you pay for. Budget tires might (MIGHT) feel ok for the first month or so but quickly get loud. Stick with a good brand, Michelin is tops really IMHO, Continentals are good but tend to get a bit loud towards the end of their life cycle.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Consumers Report is a good source. They are independent, without ads being pushed on by marketing. But I'm not sure that would help the guys from across the pond, as CR is more US based.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sy1616' post='944874' date='Jul 17 2009, 09:16 AM
You get what you pay for. Budget tires might (MIGHT) feel ok for the first month or so but quickly get loud. Stick with a good brand, Michelin is tops really IMHO, Continentals are good but tend to get a bit loud towards the end of their life cycle.
Even within the same "brand" tire performance characteristics vary.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

The best bang for your buck tire is the General Exclaim UHP tire, they are very well rated on tire rack and you can 19"s for under $150 a tire. I had them on my e46 and they were great, they wear very well, and perform great in wet conditions. The only time I would suggest not to get them is if you were planning on tracking your car because they do have a little softer sidewall, but in terms of everyday use they are great. When my toyo T1R's wear out I will be switching back to the General's.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

I am rolling on Nankang NSII on mine now abt 8K miles.

They sound a bit loud after a while but it could also be my alignment wasn't done right by the dealership for a while that it feathered my tires.
So it may not be Nankang's fault.

I also ran Hankook Ventus Sport K104.

I heard many good things abt General Exclaim UHP and Hankook RS3
And also Kumho SPT I think.

Seriously budget performance tires are good enough for street use even aggressive driving.
If you find the limit of these budget on the street and you bitch about it then you better start taking your car to a track.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

Budget brand really depends on where you draw that line.

Good tire companys that are often much cheaper then the norm are..
Nitto
General
Sumitomo HZR III tires
Falken FK452
Cooper
Hankook

My friend who goes through tires like mad. He has literally had everything from Mich PS2's to Goodyear to Falken to Hankook and on and on. He tracks a few times a year. But he just put on a set of Nitto Invos (replaced some Hankook Ventus) and he says he is worried about snapping an axle they grip so hard. Every other tire he has ever had he said he had no problem spinning them going into second. The Invos he said he can't even come close of braking them loose going into second. Even take offs he said they just grab like a bitch. He said nothing has gripped anywhere close to the Invos. Says there quite as can be also. He only has about 4K on them so far so we'll see how they wear. According to people he trust on his Acura forum people have been very pleased with the tire from start to finish. Though be warned the Invos do get a little pricey compared to like Sumitomo HZR III that tire rack ranks very high as does the users.

Quick Reply: Budget brand tyres