E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BSW Speaker Upgrade Installation Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was so disappointed by the muddy sound of my base '08 535 that I was eagerly looking to upgrade the speakers. I ordered the BSW speakers, downloaded the instructions and went to work.

Getting the door panel off is not for the faint of heart. I was afraid I might break something. The center clip is tough to get off, and you have to use both hands and shake it up and down while pulling the door panel toward you.

The instructions mention a video, but there is no video on BSW's website for E60. There is a 3 series video on Youtube, and it was some help, but not too much.

A quick call to BSW got one of their techs on the line. He was some help, but not too much, when it came to identifying which cable connects where.

In my opinion, BSW instructions are way overkill. You do not have to remove any wires, except the ones connecting to speakers. Just remove the panel, place over a 12" high box, get the help of an assistant in holding it, and simply unscrew 3 screws on the metal plate that holds the 4" speaker, and replace the speakers. Tweeters are easily replaced.

The first door took an hour, as I struggled with the myriad of wires and what goes where.

The second door took all of 10 minutes, when I know what I needed to do without unplugging any other wire.

The rear shelf speakers are very easy to replace.

Overall, the sound is much cleaner and brighter now. I would like to replace the AMP and SUBs as well, whenever they are available. BSW has a customer here!

Overall, I would rate them 8 on a 10 point scale. They need to put up a video, be more helpful with what goes where, and simplify the instructions.

Getting the tool kit for free (just ask) was a great help. You still need metric nut drivers, that are not part of the tool kit.

Overall difficulty level is medium. If you are not handy with esoteric screw heads, get a professional installer.

It's worth it, overall. Just not as easy as is claimed to be by both BSW and an earlier poster.