E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The brightest of the bright angel eyes

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport carbon black metallic
Default The brightest of the bright angel eyes

I have a 2008 550i (post LCI?) BMW

I'm sure this has been covered a million times. I've searched. I see a few different options. But a lot of the threads I've looked at have come up from 2010, 2011.

Just ordered some 12w LED lights off ebay for $150 (rookie mistake) I see they can be had for much cheaper. They are plug and play, they do look better than the stock. But still don't seem bright enough. Especially during the day.

With more research I have seen 20w ones for much cheaper. I have also read about HID. What is the difference between HID and LED? HID brighter?

Basically I am looking for the absolute brightest angel eyes I can get, that are plug and play. Price doesn't really matter. I just want the look that the new BMW models have. Or close to it.

I'd also like to change my fog lights to a white instead of orange color.

I know you guys will have a quick answer for me! Thank you!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport carbon black metallic

Doing more researched.

Best place to buy white cornering lights, and white fog lights?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Sigh. At least you're willing to research at least. There is no bulb that's plug and play and visibly day time beautiful.

Look at my signature if you want anything comparable to the new F series.

/end
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

hands down for the E60 the best and brightest option is going to be Orion V4 or V2....check out instagram.com/republicwraps or facebook.com/republicwraps for a ton of examples

if you want just a bulb option i think there are some bulbs that go all the way up to 40w now but still wont be comparable to the F series oem brightness...PM me with questions
Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 525i Black Sapphire

Earlier this year I went through the same as you. I wanted plug-and-play but also wanted the brightest I could get. Did a lot of searching - reading forums, looking at pics and videos, etc. Finally accepted the fact that I wouldn't be completely satisfied with anything less than orions. By far the most expensive option since I paid to have them installed vs diy but couldn't be happier with the results -- https://i.imgur.com/WUKeK0b.jpg
Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 AM
New Members

My Ride: 550i Msport

Read my review, look at pics, decide if the brightness is right for you. If you searched it should have come up. Sucks you spent double what mine cost already.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...review-133058/

Last edited by TTuned; 06-02-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

LED's run super hot. At 5 watts, an LED "bulb" [that means the LED module mounted on a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) without massive heatsinks] is too hot to touch after only 60 seconds. That's a 5w "bulb".

The problem is that LED's and PCB circuitry like it super cold. That's a HUGE problem, and the reason very few new cars to this day have bright LED lighting. They use Halogen because halogen like it super hot, and are therefore, far more reliable and much cheaper to install/mfg'r.

First look at the heatsink design and its weight. Then find out WHO mfg'r the LED module. (Should be CREE, Samsung or Nichia.) A 5W LED needs a heavyweight, finned, block of aluminum to keep it operating beyond 12 months or so. I can only imagine a cheap, 12w, LED product being nothing more than a marketing joke. I mean a real joke in terms of it lasting beyond 12 months.

To date, I can only recognize MTEC heatsink designs on a 5w LED as being somewhat probable of lasting beyond 12 months.

A 12w LED???? That heatsink needs to be the size of a hockey puck at a minimum. And who offers that beyond BMW OEM at $500+ per LED light.

A 20w LED??? Make that the size of a brick, and God only knows what that should cost.

Unfortunately, there are no short cuts to heat dissipation and LED longevity.

Talking about "bright LED's" and "low price" is a fools game. Don't be scammed by it.

Last edited by paran; 06-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

I just ordered the Orion V4's and member Nomis_Nehc's gonna install them for me. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

@Blake_Kimball - you should do this too!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Orion V4's are the way to go. Simon installed mine a couple of months ago and they look great.
Attached Thumbnails The brightest of the bright angel eyes-image.jpg  
Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Thanks for the shout guys. I just launched my FB page, everyone go like it!

www.facebook.com/BossCatDesigns

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: The brightest of the bright angel eyes