E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BRIGHTER ANGEL EYES FOR E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello guys! for those who wanted a brighter angel eyes would have to donate me a spare light so i can take it apart and take the measurements for the rings to make a new ones. (The light will be sealed back and mailed mack to the owner)! if some one is interested in modification or tinting the orange reflector, it would be a perfect time to customize it and i will take the measurements of the rings at the same time. ( I'm currently working on this project with Umnitza to provide you guys with this set! Let me guys know if some one can provide me at least one lenses!

Thanks! lightwurkz.net
Old 12-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I thought Umnitza already sells the brighter rings for our E60s? There was a very heated thread on this forum about one of our members buying a set of angel eye rings for his E60 but couldn't get it installed by one of Umnitza's recommended installers. So I'm curious why you are working with Umnitza to get measurements to make new ones?

Aside from that, where are you located? Have you had prior experiences taking apart the E60 lighting assembly? I definitely want brighter angel eyes and to remove the yellow reflector but I don't know about shipping my lights off somewhere, especially to someone who might not have the experience.

TIA for providing some more info.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:50 AM
Members

this what i do, i opened more then 30 sets already from Nissan to Bmw e39, but i haven?t tried on e60 that?s y I?m asking you guys to mail me one side so i can take the measurements. And NO umnitza haven?t released e60 rings yet. So if some one what?s to mail me their lights to tint the orange reflector I can take the measurements at the same time! Check www.lightwurkz.net for more info about my work, and you can see there that?s I?m working on headlights as well!
Thanks guys!
Old 12-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

No offense, but I wouldn't ship my lights off to anyone I don't know. Actually I wouldn't ship them off period.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lightwurkz.net' post='215459' date='Dec 25 2005, 02:50 AM
this what i do, i opened more then 30 sets already from Nissan to Bmw e39, but i haven?t tried on e60 that?s y I?m asking you guys to mail me one side so i can take the measurements. And NO umnitza haven?t released e60 rings yet. So if some one what?s to mail me their lights to tint the orange reflector I can take the measurements at the same time! Check www.lightwurkz.net for more info about my work, and you can see there that?s I?m working on headlights as well!
Thanks guys!
Have you seen this thread: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...407&hl=umnitza

Apparently, Umnitza did sell a set of rings for the E60. Unless the rings weren't made specifically for the E60 and were for another model that might have fit the E60.

Also, what do you mean by tinting the reflectors? If you open up the light assembly, can't you just remove the reflectors?
Old 12-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Couldn't one just change the 5 W lamp to a brighter one?
Old 12-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Busted.
Sorry, but you're not touching *my* lens.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='215506' date='Dec 25 2005, 09:43 AM
AFAIK, there are three different ways to change the light output of the E60 angel eyes. For non HID cars, you can easily change the little bulb located on the inside, upper area of each of the light lenses. Forum member My530i showed us how to do this at our last meet. He had changed his to PIAA super white bulbs.

For HID cars, the bulb is mounted lower under the light assembly and I believe it's LED. Darwin from CarLab showed me a replacement set of LEDs that he ordered from Japan and it was about $400!!! But he said it wasn't as bright as he thought it would be. There's another thread on the DIY forum posted by member Soaristo that showed how he custom built a brighter LED bulb replacement. Looks complicated to me...then again, I'm not the most handy of folks out there.

I guess the third option is to change the halo rings although I have no idea how this would alter light output since the rings aren't the source of light...it's the bulbs. But on other BMWs, people change the rings. Perhaps the rings don't actually put out light but changing them could alter the shade of light???

Anyone with more info?
Old 12-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Members

wow u spend 400$ on the bulbs! and i will try to get this set on market just wait and u'll see, and i will still ofer installation for those who are intresed,

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='215523
AFAIK, there are three different ways to change the light output of the E60 angel eyes. For non HID cars, you can easily change the little bulb located on the inside, upper area of each of the light lenses. Forum member My530i showed us how to do this at our last meet. He had changed his to PIAA super white bulbs.

For HID cars, the bulb is mounted lower under the light assembly and I believe it's LED. Darwin from CarLab showed me a replacement set of LEDs that he ordered from Japan and it was about $400!!! But he said it wasn't as bright as he thought it would be. There's another thread on the DIY forum posted by member Soaristo that showed how he custom built a brighter LED bulb replacement. Looks complicated to me...then again, I'm not the most handy of folks out there.

I guess the third option is to change the halo rings although I have no idea how this would alter light output since the rings aren't the source of light...it's the bulbs. But on other BMWs, people change the rings. Perhaps the rings don't actually put out light but changing them could alter the shade of light???

Anyone with more info?
[/quote]

and if the orange marker would be removed the hole would be visible. so i would just tint it or i can cut out the clear one to replace the orange!
Old 12-25-2005, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lightwurkz.net' post='215419' date='Dec 24 2005, 08:59 PM
hello guys! for those who wanted a brighter angel eyes would have to donate me a spare light so i can take it apart and take the measurements for the rings to make a new ones. (The light will be sealed back and mailed mack to the owner)! if some one is interested in modification or tinting the orange reflector, it would be a perfect time to customize it and i will take the measurements of the rings at the same time. ( I'm currently working on this project with Umnitza to provide you guys with this set! Let me guys know if some one can provide me at least one lenses!

Thanks! lightwurkz.net
I'm curious on how you plan on making the angel eyes "brighter"? Do you plan on using Super LEDs (which I believe are JDM)? Or do you plan on using something else, like CCFL tubes? Or something else??

FWIW, I already have a CAD drawing of the E60 headlight unit (including the angel eyes and projector housing section) and have a rought working mold. I was planning on swapping out the angel eyes with CCFL tubing but don't have access to an oven to seal everything.

Quick Reply: BRIGHTER ANGEL EYES FOR E60