E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Breyton vs potholes - any bad experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Trying to figure out if Breyton wheels are strong enough in terms of being able to withstand the pounding from pothole-riddled roads of NYC area

I know a whole lot of people in the area have them - do you guys get a lot of bends/cracks etc? How are these wheels on bad road surfaces? It's between these and OZ Superturismo, but I like the design of Breytons better and Breytons have better offsets, it seems.

PS the reason I'm posting is because there seems to be lots of conflicting threads all over the internet. There are people saying they are crappy, and lots of people praising. i'm curious how they'd hold up to serious NYC-area driving.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude I had them in NJ/NY area for a year and I can tell you I hit a few potholes that made me sick to my stomach and never had any issues. I have absolutely no complaints about my Breyton GTS-R's
Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think John (Motorcepts) had some problems. Not sure. It could be just a flat tire. I know he was going to call me to borrow my 166's so he can drive home instead of towing it. I think they held up good since he still has them on.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Angelo6379
Dude I had them in NJ/NY area for a year and I can tell you I hit a few potholes that made me sick to my stomach and never had any issues. I have absolutely no complaints about my Breyton GTS-R's
Appreciate the honesty

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
I think John (Motorcepts) had some problems. Not sure. It could be just a flat tire. I know he was going to call me to borrow my 166's so he can drive home instead of towing it. I think they held up good since he still has them on.
Yeah, I think I also remember he told me he had an issue... Thanks! Missed you at the meet, dudes...
Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
I remember him having a thread on it. GTS-R Ms' or something.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Contributors

So Breytons are a no-go?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Contributors

I think member pinguhk has them as well. Shoot him a PM.

To be honest the GTS-R was the first one on my list when looking for wheels. However, I've seen threads on them bending in other forums that it was enough to make me look at others. The way I see it, negative feedback on forums are just like roaches. If you see one, there's a hundred more that you don't see (or wasn't posted).
Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by balbs
I think member pinguhk has them as well. Shoot him a PM.

To be honest the GTS-R was the first one on my list when looking for wheels. However, I've seen threads on them bending in other forums that it was enough to make me look at others. The way I see it, negative feedback on forums are just like roaches. If you see one, there's a hundred more that you don't see (or wasn't posted).

Yeah, but the reality is: there is no wheel that is completely immune to potholes, that wheel doesn't exist, you're better off looking for El Dorado Just pull the friggin trigger Vladdy
Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by pjinca
Yeah, but the reality is: there is no wheel that is completely immune to potholes, that wheel doesn't exist, you're better off looking for El Dorado Just pull the friggin trigger Vladdy
Yah, you're basically at the mercy of the road around you. I worked with a member from SF recently. His DPE forged wheels were going through the second round of repairs since owning them for a year (from what I remembered). So even with the supposed superior wheels, there's no guarantee.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Contributors

All true, but to me some seem to be more prone to bending than others.

Quick Reply: Breyton vs potholes - any bad experiences?