E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Premium Sound, Sport PKG,6 Disc CD Changer. Navigation, Folding rear seats, Steptronic, 35% Tinted windows, Essort SRX Radar/Laser detector.

i have had my 545 now for 1 1/2 weeks and i love it. has anyone changed there brake pads to ceramic? the brake dust is really bad and looks like sh_t. does it get better in time? any idea would be great.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributors

No, sorry, it doesn't. Keep your wheels in a coat of protective waxing..
Old 02-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I've had my 545i for a few weeks now, and for the first week I was also surprised how much brake dust collected, especially on the front wheels. I think it might have something to do with breaking in the new brakes. The dust buildup in the last week isn't nearly as bad, but the large brakes do cause more dust.

One thing I've found effective at minimizing brake dust buildup is Rejex. It also works well at minimizing windshield bug splats, and exhaust tip yellowing. It works much better than wax on high temperature applications, where wax breaks down due to the heat:
http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Between washes, I use a California Mini Duster to clean the wheels. It works great at lifting the dust without scratching the finish:
http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1021&cid=101

Between washes, I also use a California Car Duster on the exterior, and the dash duster works great, especially on a black interior:
http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1014&cid=101
Old 02-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

German TUV regulations say brakes must have a certain amount of carobon in them, which causes most of the dust.

Just get a good mag cleaner and a sponge, and enjoy the reliable stopping power from your german brakes

Others create less dust but have other drawbacks, i have always found the OEM pads to be the best allrounders
Old 02-09-2005, 09:23 AM
JDN
Contributors

Rejex helps, but it's not a cure. I use Rejex and rinse often. The wheels are usually the first thing that starts looking bad after cleaning the car. But, I do enjoy the good brakes. For me, it's a minor thing.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Exactly...big brakes--good!! The dust is a small price to pay. Get a California mini duster!

I remember years ago when I had my first Porsche, I brought it to the dealer for an oil change at 4,000 miles, and they called a few hours later and said I needed new rear tires. Being my first sports car, I couldn't believe it. The service guy explained how high performance tires were very soft and therefore wore quickly. I asked if he could recommend tires that would last longer, and he said yes...but they wouldn't be as much fun!!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: COMING!! 2006 M5 - December build - January delivery. 2004 530i - Silver Gray Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Premium Sound Pkg; Cold Weather Pkg; Steptronic; Comfort Seats; Glass Moonroof; Rear Side Airbags; Adaptive Bi-xenon; Euro Rear Reflectors - Delivered 12/3/03 2003 M3 - Carbon Black Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Park Distance Control; Xenon; Hardon-Kardon; Alum Int. Trim; SMG - Delivered 2/17/03

Some people use brake dust shields - I don't - elbow grease instead.

http://www.accessconnect.com/kleenwheels.htm

Not sure what it does to warranty coverage
Old 02-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I clean my wheels about every 2 days. It is simple.

When I get home from work I spray the wheels with P21S cleaner. Then I hose them off. It takes 30 seconds per wheel.

By cleaning them often, they never get very dirty.

2 minutes every 2 days... is that too much to ask? Not for me.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Premium Sound, Sport PKG,6 Disc CD Changer. Navigation, Folding rear seats, Steptronic, 35% Tinted windows, Essort SRX Radar/Laser detector.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Feb 9 2005, 04:42 PM
I clean my wheels about every 2 days.? It is simple.

When I get home from work I spray the wheels with P21S cleaner.? Then I hose them off.? It takes 30 seconds per wheel.

By cleaning them often, they never get very dirty.

2 minutes every 2 days...? is that too much to ask?? Not for me.?
[snapback]88346[/snapback]
shoot i do that already. thanks for all the feedback.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2005 5-series

For $88 you can replace your pads (2005 530i only) with EBC Greenstuff:

EBC Greenstuff Replacement Pads (front - DP21493) Front pair $49.00 $49.00 http://www.perfectbrakes.com/

EBC Greenstuff Replacement Pads (rear - DP21494) Rear pair $39.00 $39.00 http://www.perfectbrakes.com/

Here's the email I received from Joe at perfectbrakes.com:

Leonard
The DP21493 Green Stuff is what is recommended for reduced dust the Front
are$49 and the rear are $39 Please check web site or email me with any other
Questions

Thank You
Joe
Perfect Brakes

Please check site for 545i equivalent.

I will purchase these in the next week.

Leonard.

Quick Reply: Brake dust