E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 03:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone tried this before? Winter is coming and I m rushing to find a solution to my wheels.

Sorry for the long post: They claim no heat for the break.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/kleenwheeldu.html

Kleen Wheel? Shields Set of 4

Keep brake dust from dulling the beauty of your wheels.

We strongly recommend purchasing a set of 4 Kleen Wheel Dust Shields. Kleen Wheels fit both on the front and on the rear of the vehicle. Because the front wheels do 70% of the braking, the front wheels get dirtier far quicker and more easily than do the rear wheels. For this reason customers think that they only need a single pair of Kleen Wheels for the front. Most upscale current model vehicles have disc brakes front and rear.

It is recommended that two pair be installed on a vehicle in order to achieve permanent protection front and rear. Also, when the wheels are rotated, the necessity for removing and replacing the Kleen Wheels is eliminated.

You can keep your wheels looking new with this innovative product developed by Kleen Wheels. Kleen Wheels Dust Shields are made from aluminum alloy and were designed to keep the harmful and unsightly brake dust from covering your cherished wheels.

Easy to install, simply insert the dust shields on the inside of your wheels for permanent protection. Your wheels will look as good as the first day you got them.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Kleen Wheels:

WHAT ARE KLEEN WHEELS?Kleen Wheels is the well recognized trade name for a patented brake dust shield. A dust shield is nothing more than an INSIDE HUBCAP which fits into the inside of the wheel preventing the unsightly black brake dust from flowing outward onto the outside surface of an alloy or steel wheel. Installation is simple, no special tools needed.

Kleen Wheels are not to be confused with another type of product, since discontinued, a dust cover which completely covered the rotor and caliper. It was kind of a half a rubber football type of affair which really did a good job of keeping in the dust...and also the heat. Kleen Wheels are not to be confused with this earlier type of product! Kleen Wheels are not in any way to be considered a brake product, but merely a wheel accessory because it fits inside the wheel.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2004, 04:12 AM
JDN
Contributors

Haven't tried it, but would have a couple of apprehensions:
1) Would it affect brake fade by reducing air flow?
2) Would it affect wheel aesthetics by hiding the brake disk?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the advertisement. I've seen them in real life and your nice alloywheels look like hubcaps because you can't see the brakedisc.. Yuk.. don't do it!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i all options except, nav abd HUD

They look like shit...there is a soldier here that has them and they look so cheap it is sad.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:52 AM
Contributors

thanks. I was about to order them
Old 10-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

I think the kleen wheels might work if you use them just during the winter. It's cold enough so the brakes maybe won't over heat with the reduced air flow.

There's a small sticker on the upper right side of my windshield that states that any modifications may void the warranty. Standard stuff but you have to be careful.

I think I'll try the Never Dull stuff.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Thanks Jimbo.

My idea was to use them from Nov. to April. I dont wash my car that often
during that time.

And i dont think they will look that bad on the 134 because they dont show the disc brakes that much.

Remember, I have the donuts !
Attached Thumbnails brake dust-dsc00140.jpg  
Old 10-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Well I will jsut put it this way I own a BMW 745Li 03 and a 325Ci Convertible 02 and now a 525i 04.... Before I changed my wheels to aftermarket ones on my 5 I was having the same prob with all 3 cars the brake dust was always on the wheels... But now I got 20" Drag DC1's Chrome on my 5 and you can't really see it.. the reason for this is chrome for some reason always looks clean but if you go up close and rub your finger on the wheel you will notice that you finger has jsut been finger printed!!! but I like not always having to clean my wheels now due to the wheels looking black but hey I got chrome wheels now I clean them after everytime i drive the car anyway
Old 10-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Members

HAMANN5

That's a great point on the chrome wheels the chrome also makes the wheels look cleaner that it really is, because its chrome especially on a black car

BTW you've got some nice BMW's, you should post all of them side by side
Old 10-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Contributors

I spoke to some one I know very well, a technician at the volvo dealer. He adviced me not to install those kleen wheels.

He stated three things:

1) no matter how cold it get, my break will get over heated.
2) the break last less.
3) He witness some one getting his warranty revoked because of the kleen wheels.

He adviced me to forget about it and not to install them.

Oh well!

I guess I better search for a better solution.

Quick Reply: brake dust