E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MYSTIC BLUE 04 545I// MTECH KIT//OEM SPLITTERS// M5 TRUNK FINISHER//SMOKED TAILIGHTS// HID/FOG 8000K// EYEBROW UPGRADE// EISAMANN RACE EXHAUST//M5 CLUSTER MOD//Black matte kidney grille// 20'MIRO M6 REP's Flat Black// 20%TINTS// ACS STYLE SPOILER Trunk // MTECV2 ANGEL EYES// LICENSE PLATE LED's // DE-BADGED

hye guys just wondering if once you change the stock rims, does the tpms light always stay on? can you just switch out the tpms from the stocks and them to the new ones or is there another solution? any input will be valued, as it always is! thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

When I get new rims, I buy matching TPMS to go in them unless I am getting rid of the last set of rims. In which case I would use the old ones. Just take them out of the old rims and put them in the new ones. You have to reset the TPMS through the iDrive after you inflate the tires. If you have a winter and summer setup I recommend getting another set of TPMS so that you have a set in both wheels.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bm1er
hye guys just wondering if once you change the stock rims, does the tpms light always stay on? can you just switch out the tpms from the stocks and them to the new ones or is there another solution? any input will be valued, as it always is! thanks!
Yes ... You can switch your TPMS from the stock original wheels and have them installed on your replacement wheels. Without them, the on-board systems will report that you have 4 flat tires. As already noted, you can purchase an additional set and avoid having to swap them out.

I'm curious, did the tire installer not advise you there would be a problem ?? Maybe they were inexperienced or just didn't care . In either case, I'd suggest you look for shops that are more experienced for future repair or mod work.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Yes you must have TPMS sensors in you new wheels or the light will stay on. I have a set of TPMS sensors in both my winter and summer wheels.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:53 AM
Senior Members

You just get a little "!" on the dash. Nothing big. on startup, the idrive will say TPM malfinction, but then it goes away. Yes, the TPMS are interchangeable.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

yup. i don't have tpms' setup on my runflat winter 17's, so i get this every startup..... cant wait till summer & i can get my 172M's back on!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i. titanium grey, cold, premium, 6k headlights, V2 angle eyes, full LED interiors, LED licence plate lights, LED smoke side markers, LCI euro tail lights.

Originally Posted by tonymac
When I get new rims, I buy matching TPMS to go in them unless I am getting rid of the last set of rims. In which case I would use the old ones. Just take them out of the old rims and put them in the new ones. You have to reset the TPMS through the iDrive after you inflate the tires. If you have a winter and summer setup I recommend getting another set of TPMS so that you have a set in both wheels.
+1
Old 03-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Members

My Ride: MYSTIC BLUE 04 545I// MTECH KIT//OEM SPLITTERS// M5 TRUNK FINISHER//SMOKED TAILIGHTS// HID/FOG 8000K// EYEBROW UPGRADE// EISAMANN RACE EXHAUST//M5 CLUSTER MOD//Black matte kidney grille// 20'MIRO M6 REP's Flat Black// 20%TINTS// ACS STYLE SPOILER Trunk // MTECV2 ANGEL EYES// LICENSE PLATE LED's // DE-BADGED

NO, i do not have the new rims installed yet, i was just wondering before installing, bc i do not want a problem and have to solve it after they are on. plus here in new york after all of the snow and rain there are many potholes, but will be patched within the next few weeks. soo if you know where and a good price to purchase a new set of tpms. i saw them on one site for 350$, is that the correct price? input please
Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bm1er
NO, i do not have the new rims installed yet, i was just wondering before installing, bc i do not want a problem and have to solve it after they are on. plus here in new york after all of the snow and rain there are many potholes, but will be patched within the next few weeks. soo if you know where and a good price to purchase a new set of tpms. i saw them on one site for 350$, is that the correct price? input please

what year is your car?? if it is 07 and up you need tpms sensor. if it is before 07 you dont need it.. go check your wheel and see if it is rubber valve stem or silver... if it is rubber you dont need it...

i got brand new set of tpms with valve stem for less than 200 from tirerack.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

If you want to buy some, member Bavarianx has the Beru's. The same ones BMW uses without the BMW stamp and they are less that 200 bucks. That is who I got mine from.

Tonymac

Quick Reply: BMW Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS