E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW IPOD interface and Video Podcasts

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm thinking about getting the BMW Ipod Interface (65110036448) for my 06 525i. However, I was wondering how it handles video podcasts. I know you can't see the video, but can you select the video podcast through iDrive and hear it? Also, would the IPOD output the video through the AV cables (plugged into headphone jack) if you had an external video monitor hooked up to it?

Basically, I want to select the video podcast through iDrive, hear it through the cars speakers and view it though an external monitor plugged into the ipod.

Let me know if anyone has tried this or at least just listening to video podcasts (audio only).

Thanks
Old 11-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='735270' date='Nov 30 2008, 11:22 PM
Hi, I'm thinking about getting the BMW Ipod Interface (65110036448) for my 06 525i. However, I was wondering how it handles video podcasts. I know you can't see the video, but can you select the video podcast through iDrive and hear it? Also, would the IPOD output the video through the AV cables (plugged into headphone jack) if you had an external video monitor hooked up to it?

Basically, I want to select the video podcast through iDrive, hear it through the cars speakers and view it though an external monitor plugged into the ipod.

Let me know if anyone has tried this or at least just listening to video podcasts (audio only).

Thanks
You can hear video podcasts. I sometimes stumble on these with my iphone and my idrive. (of course you cannot see it)

The ipod interface plugs directly into the ipod, so the Video portion/plug/interface would be closed up by the ipod integrator and you wouldn't be able to plug into a external Video.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='735363' date='Dec 1 2008, 02:07 AM
You can hear video podcasts. I sometimes stumble on these with my iphone and my idrive. (of course you cannot see it)

The ipod interface plugs directly into the ipod, so the Video portion/plug/interface would be closed up by the ipod integrator and you wouldn't be able to plug into a external Video.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of connecting the A/V cables to the headphone jack since the BMW interface plugs into the dock connector. I normally use the heaphone jack for A/V output at home, so I know that works. I just dont know if it would work while the IPOD is connected to the BMW interface.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='735531' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of connecting the A/V cables to the headphone jack since the BMW interface plugs into the dock connector. I normally use the heaphone jack for A/V output at home, so I know that works. I just dont know if it would work while the IPOD is connected to the BMW interface.
Oh, you have the ipod video. I've got the iphone 3g, which the AV cable plugs to the dock connector. Hmm.. it would be interesting to see if that works. Cool combo.

The Bmw integrator takes up the ipod into a different mode, so viewing video while it that mode might not be possible. But you should definitely try!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

This can be done using the Dension 500 in combination with the ACM or NAV-TV type interface.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='735620' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:50 PM
This can be done using the Dension 500 in combination with the ACM or NAV-TV type interface.
That is kind of what I was thinking about (outputing video podcasts to iDrive screen with one of these GNET) . I just need to know if a video ipod will still output video (via headphone jack A/V cable) while it is being controlled by a BMW IPOD interface.

I think that would be a really cool setup. Just select the video podcast via iDrive then activate the GNET unit to display the video on the iDrive screen.

Can anyone verify this? You dont need the GNET unit to test this. Just plug the IPOD into any external monitor (using A/V cables) while it is also connected to the BMW ipod interface (via dock connector). Then select a video podcast (using iDrive) and verify that you get audio through the speakers and video through the monitor.

thanks!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='736400' date='Dec 2 2008, 09:04 PM
That is kind of what I was thinking about (outputing video podcasts to iDrive screen with one of these GNET) . I just need to know if a video ipod will still output video (via headphone jack A/V cable) while it is being controlled by a BMW IPOD interface.

I think that would be a really cool setup. Just select the video podcast via iDrive then activate the GNET unit to display the video on the iDrive screen.

Can anyone verify this? You dont need the GNET unit to test this. Just plug the IPOD into any external monitor (using A/V cables) while it is also connected to the BMW ipod interface (via dock connector). Then select a video podcast (using iDrive) and verify that you get audio through the speakers and video through the monitor.

thanks!
Well, I finnaly got the BMW iPod interface and was able to test this out for myself. While you can select and play video podcasts (audio only) through the idrive, unfortunately the video output from the ipod is disabled. In particular, you cannot view the video output on an external screen while the ipod is connected to the car. Once you disconnect the ipod from the car, the video output starts working again. Oh, well...
Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='798361' date='Feb 21 2009, 12:06 PM
Well, I finnaly got the BMW iPod interface and was able to test this out for myself. While you can select and play video podcasts (audio only) through the idrive, unfortunately the video output from the ipod is disabled. In particular, you cannot view the video output on an external screen while the ipod is connected to the car. Once you disconnect the ipod from the car, the video output starts working again. Oh, well...
SUCKS... that was a good idea tho..