E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW iPod Interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Okay so I explained my story to the guy that sells these: http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/BMW-iP...bmw-ipodint.htm

1) 2006 550i CPO
2) Logic7 radio w/ CD Changer in glove box
3) Single CD slot already plays MP3 disks (May have had computer updated already????)
4) I have no problem doing the install myself

I explained that I want to get the interface, but don't want to have a lot of issues or additional costs. Guy tells me that with my current setup I should be able to simply install the interface and everything should work fine (I guess cause I can already play MP3 in the single slot????) I was told most people never had any issues, but if I did I may have another update that needs to be done at the stealership.

Anyone out there with similar setup and successful install? Any insight would be helpful.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access, L7 Sound 2004 FX35, Sports Package, Stillen CAI

Originally Posted by KREED_550i' post='996301' date='Sep 2 2009, 05:09 PM
Okay so I explained my story to the guy that sells these: http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/BMW-iP...bmw-ipodint.htm

1) 2006 550i CPO
3) Single CD slot already plays MP3 disks (May have had computer updated already????)

I explained that I want to get the interface, but don't want to have a lot of issues or additional costs. Guy tells me that with my current setup I should be able to simply install the interface and everything should work fine (I guess cause I can already play MP3 in the single slot????) I was told most people never had any issues, but if I did I may have another update that needs to be done at the stealership.

Anyone out there with similar setup and successful install? Any insight would be helpful.
I have the same setup and been reading about the denison gateway. Does this setup charge the ipod?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

I would like to believe so. I'm sure someone may chime in on that. Off subject, is that the new RPI Exhaust you have? If so, how does it sound.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

That's the OEM kit for BMW. Should plug right in where the CD changer goes. A trip to the BMW Center is required to activate the interface in the iDrive. It charges my iPod classic. USB-only devices (e.g. iPhone, Shuffle) cannot be charged.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Contributors

So, a trip is still needed - uhhhh. Roughly how much is that trip going to cost me? I read the retrofit thingy was free????
Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

MP3 retrofit is free only during the original warranty here in the US. iPod interface activation is not the same as enabling MP3 playback. In fact, my iPod interface retrofit did not result in MP3 playback. I had a separate visit just for MP3 playback after the iPod interface was already functioning. I believe the MP3 and iPod interface activation should take an hour or so, barring other updates that might be required (like a PROGMAN / CIPS update).
Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Contributors

Thanks. So, I'm guess another $200 at the stealership. Hummmmm I can spend another $400 and get the new RPI 550i exhaust. hummmmm
Old 09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by KREED_550i' post='996431' date='Sep 2 2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks. So, I'm guess another $200 at the stealership. Hummmmm I can spend another $400 and get the new RPI 550i exhaust. hummmmm
Get the exhaust...
Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

Originally Posted by KREED_550i' post='996301' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:09 PM

1) 2006 550i CPO

I have the same set up. I bought one of these from this guy. No problems. 10minuts to install. Charges iPod. Keeps iPod and wires hidden in glove box. full access to playlists, etc. through iDrive! and -> no trip to dealer required!

As long as the stereo is already reading MP3's you are good to go. If you are still uncertain, see if the seller will offer full refund if it does not work.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Yeah, my main single slot CD plays the MP3 disk I have, but the same CD won't play from the CD Changer in the glove box.

Quick Reply: BMW iPod Interface