E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW iPod adaptor Limitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, fairly new here and have searched the forums but am going round in circles a little bit, so apologies if this has been stated before.

Does the official BMW iPOD adapter have any track/album/artist etc size limitation?

I am sure I found somewhere that there was but maybe overcome by newer version.

I have an E60 July 05 with prof Nav, CD & CDC. I am considering both the Dension 500 and the BMW and the only thing I would like answer on now is the size limitation.

Many Thanks

Alan
Old 07-16-2008, 03:32 AM
Members

For those that it may help and others who can maybe clarify I offer the following.

I have now got the "Additional Information" sheet from my local dealer.

1. For a Prof Nav system there are a max 1000 songs per folder, 500 Bus Nav.
2. Only up to 255 folders per directory can be displayed. It confirms that means 255 max Artists and max 255 albums

I don't think 1 is a problem for me but I am still trying to get my head around 2 and I guess it is dependent on what that means e.g. does it include artists from Compilations?

Cheers

Alan
Old 07-16-2008, 03:37 AM
Members

Thank you for the info saintalan I too have wanted to know this info. 255 albums is plenty for my needs. Do you know what advantages you get in having the dension 500 over the USB connection from BMW? Also if you go for the USB kit from BMW do you loose the cd stacker?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mr_TIme' post='625349' date='Jul 16 2008, 12:37 PM
Thank you for the info saintalan I too have wanted to know this info. 255 albums is plenty for my needs. Do you know what advantages you get in having the dension 500 over the USB connection from BMW? Also if you go for the USB kit from BMW do you loose the cd stacker?

Hi the main advantages of the Dension are now that you can add other devices inc a Hard Drive (FAT) and there is an optional cable for iPod video.

However it still advertises that you don't lose the CD changer as you DO with the BMW. In fact I have been informed that "Unfortunately, the BMW CD Retention kit, that actually allows the retention of the CD Changer, is taken off the market at the moment. We are waiting for further notice from the manufacturers."

Sounds like it didn't work properly. I have just come back from my local dealer and they have quoted ?350 for their option inc the Progman update to the latest release, which on its own would cost ?212.

I am going to go for that option.

Cheers

Alan
Old 07-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525d SE Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by saintalan' post='625381' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:28 AM
Hi the main advantages of the Dension are now that you can add other devices inc a Hard Drive (FAT) and there is an optional cable for iPod video.

However it still advertises that you don't lose the CD changer as you DO with the BMW. In fact I have been informed that "Unfortunately, the BMW CD Retention kit, that actually allows the retention of the CD Changer, is taken off the market at the moment. We are waiting for further notice from the manufacturers."

Sounds like it didn't work properly. I have just come back from my local dealer and they have quoted ?350 for their option inc the Progman update to the latest release, which on its own would cost ?212.

I am going to go for that option.

Cheers

Alan
Alan,

Where did you get that quote from? I also have a 05 525d, and the best quote I've had is $700 for the iPod adaptor and fitting. It's the progman update that drives this up, with all garages saying they want 3-4 hours labour for the upgrade.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by richiemail' post='625965' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:49 PM
Alan,

Where did you get that quote from? I also have a 05 525d, and the best quote I've had is $700 for the iPod adaptor and fitting. It's the progman update that drives this up, with all garages saying they want 3-4 hours labour for the upgrade.
Hi Richie

You say, $700 which I guess is ?350. I'm assuming with a '05' you are in the UK, or do you just mean 2005?

Anyway I guess it's the Progman inc bit you are querying?

Interestingly when I phoned about it, I was quoted ?280 for the part + ?110 fitting + up to ?211 Progman update. When I went to the dealer I discussed it and decided to book it in. I was then quoted ?350 as they had just done a similar one. I double checked that this would inc the latest software update and was assured it would, and the fact that it has to be in overnight for this also confirmed it.

They also said that BMW only allow them to charge 1.5 hours for the update, even though it might be updating for 8 hours! They are also pretty vague about what happens if the update goes wrong about how it's charged for.

So I think its a case of talking with your dealer(s) and ensuring you get the right deal, on the BMW site you can get a quote on line also.

Hope that helps

Alan