E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW Individual Audio speakers vs BSW Stage 1 vs aftermarket - E60 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how really good the BMW individual Audio is and the Specifications are ( RMS , Freq's etc )

I want to order really good speakers for the front doors and rear shelf , will be adding a DSP ( JBL MS-8 ) later.
When I install the front door speakers will install a Sound deadening material ( Second Skin Spectrum ) and a sound defuser behind the mid-range ( dynoXorb 6" x 6" ), so then I will not need to open the doors ever again if the speakers are very good and do a great job.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Members

Do yourself a favor and invest in buying and installing the MS8 FIRST. Your OEM amplifier will not do much to improve the sound quality of the car with aftermarket speakers, but the processing in the MS8 alone with your stock speakers can yield better results with less trouble. There is even built in power in the MS8 should you want to wire them to it and actively process the vehicle.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Members

I've already purchased a Blaupunkt THA555 pnp amp ( waiting to be installed ) and the Earthquake SWS-8 are on its way ( back order )..

I'd like to put the best speakers in the door and rear shelve as stage 1 ( sound deadening and dynoxorb in the door as well ) wired to the Blaupunkt 5 channel amp 4 x 55w RMS for each corner set / 1 x 200W sub channel for the SWS-8's , and when i buy the JBL MS-8 I'll get an addition stereo amp to drive the SWS-8's in stereo so that the JBL MS-8 can control the bass more in stereo as well but leave the blaupunkt as a 4 x 55W on the corner sets

Stage 3 will be a dual sub box 12" in the boot that fits nicely with a pair of 12" subs and a Stereo amp to drive them , or in mono if i want to setup the center stage speaker on single channel from JBL MS-8
Old 10-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Members

You have an MS8, you are very close to a true high end system sound system. Do not skimp on the speaker quality up front. To be honest Earthquakes would not be my first choice to play 3way up to a 4" IB midrange in a door (of which will likely be optimally crossed over in the 400-500hz rage to sound good at decent SPL), i would go with a dedicated midbass driver with good lower midrange being you have subs to handle the lower range.

The only reason to use an Earthquake, is to mimic the OEM system layout (they are your joint sub and midbass drivers). To use the under the seat location to complete a 3way plus sub setup, i recommend a more matched approach of sticking with a similar sound signature and cone material as the 4" you plan using. You want the lower vocal range to sound like its coming from the same speaker as the mid to higher midrange. Midrange frequencies are directional. There are two midrange drivers i've personally heard playing down to 250hz that actually sounded great at decent SPL off axis- Scanspeak 12M and Dynaudio Esostar 4", and the IB nature of our door panels going that low would stretching it.

I did not like any of my options in designing a 3 way setup around the under the seat midbass/sub, so i went this route to keep the drivers closer together and keep localizable midrange frequencies from getting muffled under the seat:

http://jehnert.com/typo3/index.php?i...nd&aid=221&L=1

This way, if you still wanted to use the earthquakes as subs, they can still be used as DEDICATED subs.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Members

Basically in my stage 1 setup will be installing the best speakers I can find in the doors ( 4" mid-range and tweeters with crossover network )and in the rear parcel shelves ( 4" midrange and tweeters ) , sound deadening where possible and sound dynoxorb behind mid-range to prevent sound bouncing back onto speakers from the door metal panel , and the earthquakes SWS-8 install under the seat and seal the box properly and sound deadening on that as well where needed , the subs ( earthquakes SWS-8 ) will get their power and feed directly from the sub out channel on the blaupunkts 5th channel ( 200w mono ) while the blaupunkt utilizes the current speaker wires to connect the other 4 channels to the rear and front speakers a 55W each

Stage 2 will be me adding the JML MS-8 between the wiring of the head unit and bluapunkt THA555 channel amp , however remove the earthquakes line to the 5 channel and giving the earthquakes there own stereo amp ( 2 channel 2 x 200w RMS ) and the amp's recieves signal via RCA lines from JML MS-8 RCA channel out instead of before the blaupunkt recieve high speaker inputs now it will be all done by JBL MS-8 ( 6 channels currently used )

Stage 3 will be adding the dual 12" sub enclosure in the boot with 12" subs and another amp 2 channel - Stereo Bass or Mono channel the boot subs and add a center stage speaker in the dash and an amp for that ( JBL MS-8 does 8 channels so either stereo bass in the boot or a centre channel )

whats your thoughts on that
Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Members

nice door mods , now more things to think about .... damn it ...lol
Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Members

Can someone provide some more details on the suggested MS8? How difficult is the install? Is it plug and play? Where do you purchase it?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Members

its supposed to be pnp for oem fastory or even after market head units , thats what the designed it for
Old 10-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles
Can someone provide some more details on the suggested MS8? How difficult is the install? Is it plug and play? Where do you purchase it?
Well, it is not PnP as you need to splice your OEM wires to connect them to this device. But it can be made to be as PnP as possible; PM me for details.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Members

Does any one know which is best for speakers in the doors and rear shelves