E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW Dealership warrenty and MODS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Well I talked to my BMW dealership about mods I am thinking about doing.
They will honor any mod I do, as long as it's threw a BMW dealership, $$$, or the mod will void my warrenty.
So, learning this, I have to switch around my thoughts as far as what I am willing to do Mod wise.

I was going to upgrade CAI, Boost, Exaust.
Seems I will have to wait, and just do a body kit.
Starting with rear spoler. Also looking to upgrade my rear taillights to LED's.
But reading alot about this on the forum. It sounds like a big headache to upgrade to the LED's if I own a 2004 pre LED.

Audi_eatter
Old 11-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I haven't had any issues with my car at the dealer. Unless you're taking it in for a problem that revolves around one of your "mods", they'll continue to work on it. If it has to do with a possible mod that you did, then it will void the warranty. At least my dealer in NY does it that way (Rallye Motors).
Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

C's is right. I have had no issues with my local BMW dealer when bringing my 545i in for service; warranty or not... And replaced my 545i badge with DINAN5
Old 11-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

as long as no mod causes any problems and the dealership cant prove that it was a mod, you're fine. look more in this section and in the signatures of some of the members to see what they have done to their e60s. good luck with the mods.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Hey Freed0m,
What front end are you sporting there?
It looks great!
What was the purchase price and what was the cost of having it painted and installed?
Did you have any issues with the install?
It doesn't look like you have any gap issues, how do you like it?

Thanks for the post,
audi_eatter
Old 11-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

Other than turboed cars, all you can do with NA cars is really bolt ons such as air intakes and exhaust. The only thing you will run into warranty wise they may not cover is an 02 sensor which often gets out of wack with some air intakes due to the oil from the filter getting on the o2 sensor or even some exhausts that throw codes to do emissions gases changing but that is rare.

Most of the exhausts out there are simply a muffler with an extra pipe or 2. That is not gonna do a darn thing do your engine or car. Same with an air intake-that aint going to do anything to you car.

Even software ecu-it is completely undetectable or proveable that you changed settings on the ecu-they are so minimal with a NA car it will not do a thing to the engine.

Once you start replacing headers/cams etc then you run into more trouble

I dont exactly take my supercharged car in any more-I am hoping nothing goes wrong for the next year and a bit. I am happy to change and pay for oil myself. My pads just got changed before I put it on so my brakes are good-so barring something going wrong I am good to go until lease end. I would simply have to pull of the supercharger if anything did go wrong but I have such a low boost on it I am being pretty cautious
Old 11-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Hi Audi_Eatter, thanks for the nice compliment I replace my MTech front with the Hamann full front for $1600 and additional $400 for paint and installed. There isn't any issues with fitment and installation of it at all, I really like the look of it

Originally Posted by Audi_Eatter' post='493407' date='Nov 12 2007, 02:48 PM
Hey Freed0m,
What front end are you sporting there?
It looks great!
What was the purchase price and what was the cost of having it painted and installed?
Did you have any issues with the install?
It doesn't look like you have any gap issues, how do you like it?

Thanks for the post,
audi_eatter
Old 11-12-2007, 06:01 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by Audi_Eatter' post='493290' date='Nov 12 2007, 02:03 PM
I was going to upgrade CAI, Boost, Exaust.

Audi_eatter
I agree with others that most dealers are pretty cool about mods overall (I know mine is) and legally they have to prove the mod caused a failure. CAI is mainly a concern if the mass air flow sensor goes bad. Exhaust really can't cause much trouble (especially on ones that are basically just a muffler). Boost... well most any internal engine problem would be blamed on this and maybe hard to defend. But a 2004 is close to being out of warranty anyway, so just go for it and do what you want.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:13 AM
Banned

How would you change the boost on a 2004-there was no turbo or anything so that is impossible unless you slapped your own turbo or supercharger on, and in that matter it wont matter since that voids your warrant right there so wont matter what you do.

I dont hink you meant boost
Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='493433' date='Nov 12 2007, 06:50 PM
Even software ecu-it is completely undetectable or proveable that you changed settings on the ecu-they are so minimal with a NA car it will not do a thing to the engine.
Just make sure that when you bring in your car, they don't "re-flash" the ECU for the latest BMW updates. If they do, you'll need to get your car's ECU reprogrammed. However, a few of the ECU remap companies (Powerchip and Superchips) offer 2 additional FREE re-flashes, should this happen.

Quick Reply: BMW Dealership warrenty and MODS