E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW Child Seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the e60 accesories brochure there is a page on the bmw child seat.

I cant find anymore information on the net about it, anyone else have any info ?

Also pricing maybe useful and if you have one, whats your experience ?
Old 09-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

There should be a price list in your accessories brochure, showing all the different prices for all available seats.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Members

theres pricing for everything other than the child car seat and only limited information, says contact your dealer for more information.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I can only give you an idea on the German prices from my brochure:

junior seat I-II ISOFIX 329.- Euro
junior seat I-II 221.- Euro
junior seat III 66.- Euro
baby seat 0+ ISOFIX 395.- Euro
baby seat 0+ 265.- Euro
buggy 157.- Euro

Plus a couple add ons and the seats are available in different colours. That's a two pages long list with all the different prices and colours and add ons...
Old 09-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributors

I think the seats are way to expensive. The ones I have used work great and I deffinetly did not have to pay that price and I am not cheap when it comes to my daughters safety.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Recaro makes child seats too, they are way cool and even have a speaker on each side and some other comfort and safety features,, but they are EXPENSIVE!!! Saw them on the web for $335 USD... I guess the BMW seat is a nice and cheaper option (Depending on which model you're interested).

Anybody knows who makes the BMW seats?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

We have two Britax (King) seats in my E60. They fit very well and their build quality is much better than Graco and all the other common brands. They were ~ $150.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Britax is widely acknowledged to make the safest most strenuously tested car-seats in the industry.

Check out:

http://www.britaxusa.com/
Old 09-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by smokin' date='Sep 20 2004, 03:35 PM
In the e60 accesories brochure there is a page on the bmw child seat.

I cant find anymore information on the net about it, anyone else have any info ?

Also pricing maybe useful and if you have one, whats your experience ?
I purchased the Junior Seat I-II ISOFIX last year from BMW Niederlassung in Munich and brought it with me to the US. The price of 320.- Euro that Iceman posted sounds right, although I don't remember it exactly. The main reason that I wanted this seat was that it had the ISOFIX mounting system, and my wife's X5 had the ISOFIX mounting points in it. For those who don't know what ISOFIX is here's a brief description: It is a child seat mounting standard that some car manufacturers along with some child seat manufacturers came up with to make it quick, safe, and easy to mount child seats directly to the cars body without having to rely on seatbelts. Between the rear seat cushion and the rear seat back there are two attachment bars, and the ISOFIX seat has two arms that extend and are attached to these bars and then they are retracted into the seat when the seat is pushed back. It is quick and secure. It is also easy and fast to buckle the child in, either with the cushion/tray unit when they are young, or with the car's seabelts when they are older. The height of the back rest also has many degrees of adjustment. There are both advantages and disadvantages to the BMW Junior Seat I-II ISOFIX and I will try to list what I remember below:

Advantages:

1. ISOFIX System
2. Styling
3. Ease of buckling in child
4. Can use car's belt when the child is older (no need to buy a new seat)
5. Seat back height adjustable.

Disadvantages"

1. Even though the seat back angle has two positions, they are both pretty close to vertical. So there is no comfortable reclined position for the child to sleep in. This is a big issue for us because our son's head and neck droop and hang in weird postions when he falls asleep in the seat and sometimes his neck hurts when he wakes up. The Roemer King seat that we had before was a snap to adjust the back angle on and had a very comfortable recline angle for sleeping.

2. It has to be mounted in either the left or the right side of the rear seat but not the center. BMW's don't have ISOFIX mounting points in the center position. (Actually it can be mounted in the center or NON-ISOFIX cars by using the car's seat belts, but the seat belt holds both the seat and the child at the same time and the seat can move around a bit. Then when the belt is unbuckled for the child to come out, the seat becomes completely loose on the back seat, so I don't recommend using it with seat belts).

3. Price.

A couple of more things to go over: When I first got the seat it was too big for my son. Even though my son was past the minimum requirements and not a short kid by any standards. the front cushoin/tray (which is used to hold the child in) was too high and he had to hold his arms out straight for it to latch. Not at all comfortable. So we had to wait an extra few months before he was tall enough to use it.

Someone mentioned a Recaro seat above. Well, I bought (and returned) the Recaro seat before the BMW one and even though it looks cool it did not work for us. You had to use the car's seat belt to hold both the seat and the child in, which I did not like. When the child was not in the seat you would still have to buckle the seat in otherwise it would move around a lot. With the BMW ISOFIX seat if the child is older you get to use the car's belt to hold him, however, the seat itself is always held securely by the ISOFIX system. Also the cloth that it was made of was very cheap and the seat was expensive. This was a couple of years ago, so they may have a better one now.

If you want to spend less money but want the safest seat belt attachable child seat I recommend the Roemer King with the Qucikfix system. Not only is it a high quality seat but it has a grat mounting system where it puts tension in the seat belts and therfore is very securely attached to the car. They have this seat in a non Quikfix system as well, so you got to make sure to get the one with the Quickfix. Even though Roemer is a Britax company and Britax is also available in the US, I have not seen this version with the Britax label. By the way I bought the Roemer in Germany too.

Sorry for the long post, but when I start to write about something I try to be as complete as I can, wihich bores many people when they read it
Old 09-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Contributors

I've got 2 of the isofix ones...they are just brilliant....so easy to use and fitting or moving them between the X3 and E 60 takes seconds.......highly reccommended.

DD

Quick Reply: BMW Child Seat