E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='61026' date='Nov 26 2004, 09:51 AM
[quote name='alex123' date='Nov 26 2004, 09:50 AM']Does any have a Bike Rack on their E60? Bmw or Aftermarket, any pictires?
[snapback]61025[/snapback]
Yes I have a great bike rack which holds two bikes, its called my wifes car.
[/quote]

good one. definitely priceless bike rack
or maybe a moving truck, dogs, kids....
Old 01-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Members

where did you find the hitch?

__________________________________________________ ________________________
Silver/Gray '06 530i: Prem, Nav, Prem Sound, Sport, Cold Weather, Stream's Ipod install [/quote]
Old 01-15-2006, 05:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by will_the_thrill' post='224290' date='Jan 14 2006, 10:35 PM
I finally found a hitch for a bike rack system for the 04-06 E60. It will cost me $300 installed and is attached by drilling two holes in the bottom of the trunk. The hitch mount should be either flush with the bumper or recessed an inch or two underneath (which I'm hoping for and they are promising).

However, the installer said I should consider a roof rack as they are much more flexible. I do not want to have a visible roof rack when I am not transporting my bike, and they tell me that after initial adjustments, it only takes five minutes to place the roof rack on top of the car, open the four doors, and use the fast clamps that are pre-tensioned by the installer. If this is true, I wonder if this is a better solution than the hitch system given that I would prefer not to have the 15lb hitch noticeable in the back of the car.

Any thoughts on the accuracy of the five minute roof rack attachment claim? Any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of either option?

I'm hoping to get a response by Monday as after waiting for six months, I'm eager to go for a bike ride. So I'll probably post this question in a few places.

Thanks for your help!

Will

__________________________________________________ ________________________
Silver/Gray '06 530i: Prem, Nav, Prem Sound, Sport, Cold Weather, Stream's Ipod install
Will - I have a roof rack with 4 bike carriers affixed to it. Although I havn't used it with my E60 yet (may need to get different feet), it's a Thule rack and I used to fit it to my e39 in about 15 minutes. (Each foot clamps to the roof with a bracket that fits between the top of the door and the roof itself - even though the e39 had fixing points in the roof, I opted for the quick clamp on type).

Anyway, I carried 4 bikes on many occassions and did a trip to Scotland last year which proved the roof mount to be a sturdy option. I carry a small foot stool to help when mounting and dismounting the bikes as I'm not your average tall Welshman!

I was easily able to travel at a steady 70 mph without any issues and hit a good 80 on times. The advantage of the bikes on top is that they don't obstruct your access to the boot at all. The only downside is that when you are presing on a bit, the wind resistance makes the fuel economy take a dive. I'll be fitting the rack to my e60 when the Summer comes - not permanently but on the occassions that we go away on a family breaks.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Members

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I'm going to go ahead with the hitch option as I think it will save time and frustration with having to worry about scratching the roof each time, etc.

I should have a hitch installed in the next week or two that is recessed and mounts underneath the trunk. It should be very small and only made for 1" bike racks.

I have ordered the hitch and will post photos when it is installed, along with contact info for the dealer and part numbers...until it is actually installed, I will remain a bit skeptical that it exists.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
'06 530i Silver/Gray, Prem, Prem Sound, Nav, Sport, cold weather, Stream's ipod install
Old 02-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by will_the_thrill' post='228443' date='Jan 23 2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I'm going to go ahead with the hitch option as I think it will save time and frustration with having to worry about scratching the roof each time, etc.

I should have a hitch installed in the next week or two that is recessed and mounts underneath the trunk. It should be very small and only made for 1" bike racks.

I have ordered the hitch and will post photos when it is installed, along with contact info for the dealer and part numbers...until it is actually installed, I will remain a bit skeptical that it exists.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
'06 530i Silver/Gray, Prem, Prem Sound, Nav, Sport, cold weather, Stream's ipod install

The bike rack was received today by the installer. I will have it installed Friday morning and will post pictures and more detailed information.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Members

Finally got the bike hitch installed. I was hoping the hitch would be recessed a few more inches behind the bumper, but am happy that it is at least a milimeter behind the bumper. I even took the hitch to a welder to see if he could come up with a custom solution to either move it back or chop part of it off. No luck.

I feel kind of guilty doing this to such a beautifully designed car, but now at least I can take my mountain bike out again (no wife's care available). Let me know what you think. And yes, my car needs a wash.

If anyone would like ordering details, please speak to Noah at Rack N Road (925) 939-9900 in Walnut Creek, CA (SF Bay area). He can hook you up with someone in your area that can order/install it.