E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Best M-sport bumper option?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 06:36 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive, manual, sport pkg
Default Best M-sport bumper option?

Looking to purchase an M-sport bumper for my 09 535i sport pkg car. I'd like to retain the factory fogs and I've found a few options from Bimmerworld, ECS Tuning, Umnitza, Ebay, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience with any of these bumpers and can provide insight as far as fitment, price, etc to help me narrow my options down. I don't mind spending a little more for quality material and fitment. I would also consider an M5 bumper, but I don't believe they will fit due to wider fenders on the M and none of the M bumpers seem to come with fogs.

Any help is appreciated!

~Z
Old 04-23-2020, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Hi Z and welcome to the forum!

Several years ago, I purchased an MTech bumper from Trinity Autosport in California. It arrived damaged, but they were quick to FedEx me a replacement. The quality was excellent and I was able to reuse my fogs. Here are before and after pics.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:41 AM
New Members

Thanks Jay, that bumper looks great!

I have a 535i so the bumper is slightly different than yours. Reusing the fogs does help with cost ($90 option), and I'm not sure if I need the PDC sensors, although they are a no cost option.

Can I ask what it ran you to have it painted? PM me if that's easier. I noticed you're in CT too. Have you gotten any crap for not having a front plate?

Thanks!

Last edited by zbyler; 04-23-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:06 AM
Administrator

I can't find my paperwork, but I think it cost about $100 to have the bumper painted and about $50 for the install. I had it all done by my indy. If you have PDC, you need to order that bumper version. I believe those are reused also.

As for the plate, I couldn't bring myself to drilling into that beautiful bumper, so I stuck it under the passenger floor mat in case I ever got stopped. I was going to just say that I had just replaced the bumper and the bracket was on order. That was about four years ago, lol! It has never been a problem. If you do an informal survey of Connecticut cars coming toward you on the roads, about 2 in 10 are missing the front plate. It's the law here, but it's not enforced.
The following users liked this post:
AdiEnzo (05-11-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 08:34 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
I can't find my paperwork, but I think it cost about $100 to have the bumper painted and about $50 for the install. I had it all done by my indy. If you have PDC, you need to order that bumper version. I believe those are reused also.

As for the plate, I couldn't bring myself to drilling into that beautiful bumper, so I stuck it under the passenger floor mat in case I ever got stopped. I was going to just say that I had just replaced the bumper and the bracket was on order. That was about four years ago, lol! It has never been a problem. If you do an informal survey of Connecticut cars coming toward you on the roads, about 2 in 10 are missing the front plate. It's the law here, but it's not enforced.
$150 painted and installed!? That would be a no-brainer! I guess I need to find out if my car has PDC first and then get some quotes from my painter.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2020, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by zbyler
$150 painted and installed!? That would be a no-brainer! I guess I need to find out if my car has PDC first and then get some quotes from my painter.

Thanks!
Plus the cost of the bumper, of course. I think the whole bill was in the $600 neighborhood.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by zbyler
Looking to purchase an M-sport bumper for my 09 535i sport pkg car. I'd like to retain the factory fogs and I've found a few options from Bimmerworld, ECS Tuning, Umnitza, Ebay, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience with any of these bumpers and can provide insight as far as fitment, price, etc to help me narrow my options down. I don't mind spending a little more for quality material and fitment. I would also consider an M5 bumper, but I don't believe they will fit due to wider fenders on the M and none of the M bumpers seem to come with fogs.
Any help is appreciated!
~Z
There are 2 types of bumpers we offer, M5 and Mtech. We call our M5 bumper the Mtech.
What Jay showed you is actually the M5 bumper.

The M5 and Mtech fit equally well, however both require M5 fender brackets OR modification like we show on our youtube.com/umnitza install guide.

Too many 'regular' people confuse Mtech and M5, but the mtech is more the "sport" bumper is much more expensive and hard to get and is made of slightly (very slightly) better materials.

We offer pre-paint and if you can swing a socket wrench, you should be able to install in your own driveway if we pre-paint and precut the holes for you.

We were the first to introduce the Mtech and M5 aftermarket bumpers to this community and at this time from what we understand, not many remaining MTech sales are available anywhere.

The Mtech requires more work to install, it comes with more parts and it needs to be lined up more with the brake ducts. The m5tech is usually what everyone goes for, it's the most aggressive, and our recent price on them is very good. We also have more coming on the next container in a few weeks, end of May but have about 8 in stock still now and 4 Mtechs.

If you have a 2004-2007 car, you generally reuse your fogs.
Our projector fogs however are a great upgrade at $99, they give you better light, are higher quality than the OEM, and they look cooler to boot - form and function.
If you have a 535, that's a 2008+ so you will have to buy the fogs. We have cheaper generic style fogs that look the same as the factory ones from 2004-7 and are only $50

The only issue is CT shipping, we have to use freight which is usually $160 to get to you.

Also, there is no way that any shop will paint in CT for only $150, if you find someone that will, DEFINITELY use them. We've shipped all over the USA probably over 1000+ bumpers - 200+ last year alone, 11 this week (even with lockdown).
Our paint cost at $250 is pretty good, 2 layers of paint, 2 layers of clear, adhesion promotion and flex additive to the paint. Best is for us to paint and let is sit for 3-5 days and then ship so that the paint can really set on the bumper.

The easiest way to figure out if you have PDC, does the car show a picture when backing up that shows proximity to another object in addition to audible sensing? if so, you have PDC. You'll need to send a photo of the size in for us to pre-cut if you want to or you can also eliminate it by coding it out some people don't like it.

call us 877 486 6489
Old 04-25-2020, 02:00 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 with 1M front bumper,20"AC Schnitzer wheeels,M5 front and rear brakes,M5 rear bumper with quad exhausts H&R Anti roll bars, Fully adjustable coilovers, re-mapped,Fully enclosed AFE cold air intake filter,Full Lci black grained leather trim
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 3.0i
Default 1M front bumper

Try one of these
Old 04-25-2020, 02:12 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 with 1M front bumper,20"AC Schnitzer wheeels,M5 front and rear brakes,M5 rear bumper with quad exhausts H&R Anti roll bars, Fully adjustable coilovers, re-mapped,Fully enclosed AFE cold air intake filter,Full Lci black grained leather trim
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 3.0i

Originally Posted by walterpidg

Try one of these
anyone know where to get a front splitter for this.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:32 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

1M M5 bumpers don't fit well without a LOT of manipulation.
If you want to try to find a splitter or lip for that, I suggest getting a 1M front splitter/llip and modifying it.

Quick Reply: Best M-sport bumper option?