E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bent Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i, SMG, Silver Grey, Black leather w/anthracite trim, Premium, Sport, Cold, Rear Fold Down Seats, Rear Seat Heating, Xenons. Mods: 545i chrome grill, Euro Red Reflectors and 20% window tint. Coming Soon: Dual LCD monitors w/DVD and Subwoofer install.

Upon getting my 4th set of Runfltas in 23,000 miles, the dealer informed me I had two bent wheels. (This happened within a 5000 mile span and I've never had a bent wheel in my life.) Needless to say, I had to get the wheels replaced in order to get a new set of tires under warrantly. (Looooong story...)So I asked to keep the wheels (after all, I paid for new ones.)

My questions is, can I do anything with these wheels other them throw them in the trash? Is there a market for bent wheels? I'm afraid it would cost me more to have them repaired and shipped to a buyer than I could get for them?

Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by pughmat' post='259494' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:34 PM
Upon getting my 4th set of Runfltas in 23,000 miles, the dealer informed me I had two bent wheels. (This happened within a 5000 mile span and I've never had a bent wheel in my life.) Needless to say, I had to get the wheels replaced in order to get a new set of tires under warrantly. (Looooong story...)So I asked to keep the wheels (after all, I paid for new ones.)

My questions is, can I do anything with these wheels other them throw them in the trash? Is there a market for bent wheels? I'm afraid it would cost me more to have them repaired and shipped to a buyer than I could get for them?

Thoughts?
Sorry to hear that. You can actually fix bent wheels instead of buying new set of rims.. Cost about $150-$300 depending how bad the bent is..
Old 03-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by soc_fans' post='259503' date='Mar 24 2006, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear that. You can actually fix bent wheels instead of buying new set of rims.. Cost about $150-$300 depending how bad the bent is..
If you drive your OEM wheels junk, there is no other solution but buy brand new ones.

Be sure also to check the tyres!

You should also check the offset and bearings of the damaged axels!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I just hit a very bad pot hole todat with the left front wheel....
but it was not at high speed, just like 40km/h.....

the BANG noise I've hear was probably not the wheel but the shock/axle components how they got pushed to their max probably....

what is the best way to find out if there is a problem with the wheel?????

visual check seems OK.
driving on nice and smooth road is smooth and fine at all speed.... no pulling sideways, no bouncing either.....

any more ideas?

I'll be switching to the new summer wheel set up in two weeks so I will get the car alignment and geometry done
Old 03-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

Check some places near you for Wheel Repair Shops. I know here in LA we have a lot of shops that fix wheels (bent, cracks, etc.). They can fix even the more extreme bents for a decent price. I just went through a wheel repair on my wife's car a week ago, they did a good job and cost me under $100.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Contributors

You could make a really cool set of end tables out of them jk

If the rim damage is minimal you should be able to fix 'em up as soc_fans says. And then maybe you can use them as a winter set.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

If the steering starts to tremble at 80 - 90 km/h.

High profile tires can take the most, but not everything.

Anyone remember that BMW did not recommend wheels
bigger than 17"?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Try mobilewheelrepair.com Good luck
Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

Yes if the damage is not too big (obviusly cracks in the rim are impossible to repair) they can be repaired under heat and with alot of patience from the guy that repairs it to slowly mold the material to it's original form with some sort of pressure tool. From my own experience i'm telling you that if in the end you get them fixed, you'll see for yourself that the worse the damage was on the wheel the harder it will be to equilibrate (correct term) the wheel. Chances are that even when the rim seems to be equilibrated, it won't actually feel the same as it was new. But that if the damage was heavy. There will still be some judder or very very very little vibration or noise or whatever.
My opinion is to get them fixed and then decide what to do with them considering how well they get fixed.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='259535' date='Mar 25 2006, 01:16 AM
Anyone remember that BMW did not recommend wheels
bigger than 17"?
That's new and weird stuff to me...

Quick Reply: Bent Wheels