E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Been over two weeks at Dinan HQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

As some members may have read from my previous postings, my 550i is at Dinan HQ for software programming development. What was thought to take one week now has become two. I'm obviously in no rush to get my car back, but I do miss it! Once she's done, she'll have new engine management software and a new V8 throttle body installed to complement the Dinan exhaust. Then she'll be an official Dinan5 ... I can't wait to bring her home! And for those Dinan gearheads waiting on the cold-air intake to come out for the 550i, Steven Dinan says it's in development and should be out in the next 3 months.

But while she's been gone, Steve Dinan threw in some fun for me ... I got to take home (as a loaner) Steve Dinan's own Dinan3 330i manual complete with all the Dinan mods: ram air intake, throttle body, suspension, exhaust, brakes, forged 19" rims with Michelin PS2 rubber, and tower brace.

Been over two weeks at Dinan HQ-dsc01397.jpg
Been over two weeks at Dinan HQ-dsc01381.jpg
Been over two weeks at Dinan HQ-dsc01385.jpg

So for the past two weeks, I've had nothing but FUN FUN FUN taking his Dinan3 around. Despite all the mods on the car, I was truly impressed that the car delivered 30-34 mpg on the freeway, and 22-25 mpg around town. Totally slaughters my 550i's mileage. Now I see the true benefit of lightweight forged rims. The car just LEAPS when you want to accelerate. It's a totally different sensation vs. a stock 330i. I was considering getting the M5 rims sometime in the future, but I think in the end, I'll probably dish out the $$$ for Dinan's forged 19s. Dinan let me test drive one of his other cars, an '04 545i Dinan5 with all the Dinan mods. The suspension on the car was totally livable compared to the Dinan3. The Dinan3 setup is stiffer and tends to get a little bouncy on bumpy roads, but the Dinan5's ride is less upsetting, even when the road gets rough. Hmm... now I'm getting Dinan-crazy. First power cravings, now suspension. Does it ever end???
Old 01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Hey Roleez, how about coming to the next Bay Area Meet scheduled in Mar?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=35620&st=0
Old 01-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='381501' date='Jan 21 2007, 08:23 PM
Hey Roleez, how about coming to the next Bay Area Meet scheduled in Mar?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=35620&st=0
If I'm not scheduled to work on the Saturday that people agree on, I'll definitely come down!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

That would be great!

So back to your topic, did they say how much longer? Also, how did the DINAN 5 545 drive compared to your 550?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I'm curious about how the Dinan 5's suspension/handling felt as well. They advertise it as a comfortable mod, but does it feel somewhat stiffer? More responsive? Would you know from the seat-of-the-pants that you weren't in your car if you were blindfolded?

Good luck with your car when you get it back. Remember; good things come to those that wait...

Regards,
DRP
Old 01-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Thats pretty tight your driving the personal car of the owner of Dinan. I mean this guy should practically be giving you wheels for free if you decided to jump on a set. Become pals with this guy and then lets do a group buy on dinan stuff
Old 01-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Contributors

Do you know what type of suspension the 545i has?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='381704' date='Jan 22 2007, 10:37 AM
Thats pretty tight your driving the personal car of the owner of Dinan. I mean this guy should practically be giving you wheels for free if you decided to jump on a set.
that is pretty awesome..enjoy for the time being, then enjoy your car when you get it back
Old 01-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='381686' date='Jan 22 2007, 10:10 AM
That would be great!

So back to your topic, did they say how much longer? Also, how did the DINAN 5 545 drive compared to your 550?
Well, my car will be there for another week. Steve Dinan wants to check drivability issues for the remaineder of the week to make sure the programming is PERFECT with no glitches. They just wanted my permission to do more tests. Obviously I didn't mind at all. Funny ... I wonder if my new set of tires are down to the wear bars by now, haha!

Ah yes ... the Dinan5 (which by the way is for sale but not posted on the Dinan website) is a Jet Black 2004 545i with Steptronic. A totally different monster compared to my 550i. Software programming gives manual shifts a slightly faster shift time, but not as quick/immediate as a manual SMG. Throttle response is immediate with only a slight press on the accelerator pedal. The car rides on Dinan's specially-tweaked Koni struts/shocks and springs, plus Dinan 19" forged rims with Michelin PS2s. The difference between this car and any stock 550/545 is night and day. The lowered stance is so agressive and steering is ULTRA responsive. The Dinan5 inspires confidence whereas my 550i doesn't really give me that edge. Perhaps it's b/c I'm driving someone else's car. I drove up and down the 101 just to drive onto the cloverleaf onramps to feel the handling improvements. Very little body lean and hardly any tire squeal from the PS2s. I know for sure if I were to push my 550 the way I did the Dinan5, I'd definitely see the DSC light blink nonstop and hear tons of tire squeal. But the Dinan5 didn't even cause DSC to flinch because the tires provide sooo much grip. Cruising down the freeway at a steady 70-80 wasn't bumpy/stiff at all. The ride quality in the Dinan3 is stiffer/harsher, but not as livable as the Dinan5 setup. The overall ride was compliant but obviously a little more responsive to irregularities in the road since the car is riding on 19s. Dinan's suspension setup for the E60 is something I'd consider in the future.

Power-wise, thanks to the cold air carbon-fiber intake, mid-range torque is abundant and acceleration is immediate due to the free-flow exhaust and lightweight rims. The car just THRUSTS forward with a vengeance. The Dinan3 feels the same way too. Brakes are Dinan/Brembo units and those suckers GRAB SO HARD you can feel the blood rushing to the front of your face as you press the brake pedal HARD. Truly an awesome car ... but I wish it had a 6-speed so I can row through the gears!! I hate it when I get into a car with an automatic and instinctively press down ... on an invisible clutch pedal as I'm about to start the engine. GRRR!!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='381704' date='Jan 22 2007, 10:37 AM
Thats pretty tight your driving the personal car of the owner of Dinan.
If only he'd let me take home his M5!!!

Quick Reply: Been over two weeks at Dinan HQ